“A great tour by a very proud local!”

I'm Free Walking Tours
Ranked #2 of 342 Tours in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover Sydney, on a Free Tour at 10:30am and 2:30pm everyday. Join your friendly and knowledgeable local tour guide as we reveal the history, stories and secrets of Sydney. This 3 hour easy walking tour meets everyday at the anchor in Town Hall Square beside the Sydney Town Hall building. Rain, hail or shine, no booking needed, just show up and there will be a guide in a bright green T-shirt to show you around. Or join us at 6pm each evening for a one and a half hour exploration of The Rocks our most historical district, starting from the water side of Cadmans Cottage. How are we Free? We work on a tips only basis, so everyone can enjoy Sydney as much as we do, whatever your budget.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A great tour by a very proud local!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I did this walking tour yesterday, and you can't help but get caught up with the girls enthusiasm and love of her city.
I struggle on holiday to keep concentrating on a tour longer than 5 minutes, so I was worried, but For 3 hours we were taken round the whole city and despite the amount of information that was being shared, the way it was delivered meant the whole thing was fantastic and entertaining. Not just historical but current events aswell, plus some great movie Trivia thrown in!
Great way to see Sydney and get your barings early on in a trip. I could not reccomend this anymore!
Cheers

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Proud tourist in my own city”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have been a Sydney resident all my life but I was surprised by things on this tour! I have just spent the last year studying in Spain and have done a few free walking tours in other European cities so I thought it would be fun to check one out in my home country. The tour by Ross exceeded my expectations! Even with beautiful sunny, Sydney weather, he managed to bring some extra sparkle to the city. His enthusiastic and informative delivery of quirky facts added an extra dimension to well-trodden sites. The addition of non-traditional tourist attractions like the emerging Sydney laneway scene was very welcome and his discerning advice on cool, cheap places to eat in order to avoid underwhelming meals at 'tourist prices' was impressive! I found myself nodding to all his recommendations. There is no fee as said, but paying a tip is recommended and worthwhile! A true Sydney experience for a traveller who doesn't want to just see the city, but wants to feel it too!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Champagne_swing
Mattituck, NY
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent Tour”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We took this walking tour and found it to be very fun and informative. Bring your best walking shoes you will cover a lot of the city! I love the idea of these tours, the guides love their city and it shows. If you want a good overview of the city, definitely take this tour, but, please remember to tip the guide at the end, they really deserve it.

Visited October 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“FREE in Sydney”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Justin's was a great guide. She had such enthusiasm and a bit of drama, which made the whole experience really fun. Lots of quirky facts and stories which the guide books never give you. We also saw some things we would have missed, like Angel Lane and all the bird cages, also ileen Victoria's Talking Dog and the clock in the QVB. Justice was also great at answering people's questions and giving great tips on other free attractions. This tour gave us a real taste of Sydney and we then double backed and revisited some of the sites and went into many of the attractions out guide had suggested. This is a must for anyone visiting Sydney. Wear sensible walking shoes and carry a waterproof in case of rain, because they carry right on through the rain. Great map provided free too! This tour is truly free, but there is an expectation you will tip, so people can pay what they can afford or what they thought it was worth. The tip is very well deserved.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank SCawley
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Start your Sydney visit here!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

After 30 hours of traveling and a brief rest to reset our internal clocks, we could not wait to walk the streets of Sydney and walk we did! This friendly, fast-paced tour took us over main streets, back alleys, and a myriad of unexpected Sydney nooks and crannies. Justine, our guide and co-owner of I'm Free Tours, was a delight, full of facts and figures, funny stories, and endless tales of past and current Sydney history. The tour was just as described in the brochure, but even more fun than we expected. By the end we had a pretty good idea of what we wanted to come back to see in more detail and what we would likely skip. We also had a fairly good lay of the land, which helped tremendously in planning future forays on our own. The tour was just as described - three hours of of walking (and stair climbing!), a brief bio break midway, and no set charge. Most everyone gave gladly as it was a great tour. We gave $20 per person in our party.

Visited November 2012