Sydney Harbour YHA
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
1,149 results
All reviewsrooftop terracearchaeological digopera houseyouth hostelbig digprivate bathroomgreat locationsydney harbourbunk bedsfemale dormcommunal kitchenshared roomfamily roomcommon areason the rockscircular quay stationcruise ship
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed for four nights at this hostel, which is located right smack in The Rocks area, and has a very good location in Circular Quay. Facilities-wise, I would say top notch for hostel standard. If you don't really value privacy (I spent the bulk of my days touring outside), go for this hostel, instead of a budget hotel...Rooms are clean and are at very satisfactory conditions, at the price that you are paying..shower facilities are nice and clean ( because it is housed in quite a new building), and the free-access rooftop balcony has panoramic view of the opera house....reception staff were friendly and open to give suggestions..there is also a very communal and convivial spirit in the hostel, with the staff organising Burrito night, rooftop BBQs to bond travellers.....Security-wise, it is along the same road as the five-star Shangri-La hotel, just a few buildings away, so it is quite safe.

This will be my base in Sydney, whenever I am in town...

Just one very very minor grouse: it can be quite hard to locate the hostel for first-timers, as instructions on the hostel website is not too clear. I got lost for 20 minutes trying to figure out the place, but once you find it, you will remember the location....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank kenneygoh
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Sydney Harbour YHA, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Hi Kenneygoh

Thanks for your review of Sydney Harbour YHA and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

With directions, because The Rocks does have many small back streets and can be confusing, we do provide a detailed map and directions as a pdf on our website. We strongly recommend people use Wynyard station, not Circular Quay as it is then a flat easy walk to the hostel.

We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I and another couple stayed here for a weekend (Fri & Sat night). We were initially worried about what we would encounter as we were older than the Youths we thought they were talking about in their title! :D … we were pleasantly surprised, there was a huge mix and variety of ages and nationalities which was lovely…the staff were very efficient in their laid back style. The location of this place is fantastic..right next door to a buzzy pub with great beer and pizzas which was great as we arrived late-ish on the Friday night, and in the thick of the Rocks markets, Lord Neslon brewery and Circular Quay :) We had booked the accommodation at the last minute and options were limited so Friday was in a deluxe en suite and Saturday was in a 4 bed mixed dorm. The deluxe en suite which was brilliant, it was a clean and tidy room with a modern bathroom, comfy bed and tea and coffee making facilities… it reminded me of an Ikea basic bedroom, everything modern and functional. No TV (but we weren’t there for that!) but towels and soap too. All the top floor rooms had been allocated so we didn't have a view of the harbour and unfortunately at about 5am I could hear people leaving down the metal stairs right next to our bedroom and it went on for some time literally reverberating through the bed. I am a lighter sleeper than my husband who didn’t hear a thing! The next night we shared with our friends in the shared dorm. This room was definitely more weathered than the other but the beds were great and it’s organised so the lockers can give a bit of privacy. The lockers have plugs in them so you can charge all manner of things while you are out! There were some innocuous looking marks on the ceiling of the bathroom that could have been wiped and the walls of the room were kind of scuffed heavily from, I guess, many bags scraping in and out as these are the cheaper option. No towels here and so we asked for some and they gave them happily. Our room #006, again we were in an unfortunate position right below the room that is used by large school groups or other organisations and at 5pm the thumping was ridiculously loud as the children had a fabulous time running up and down for an hour before dinner….consequently Sunday morning was the same at 7am…it was like a herd of elephants! So we didn’t have a lie in…we got up showered and went out to enjoy our last day in the Rocks area of Sydney. We didn't use the amenities but they have a great idea where you can buy all you need to cook your own breakfast and fantastic espresso coffee too! Would definitely stay again. :)

Room Tip: We assume the higher floors would have been less noisy as #006 is right under the recreation room for large groups.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TrayBon33
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I loved the sydney harbour YHA. It is located in a great part of Sydney, in Circular Quay which is in walking distance of the harbour and close to transportation to wherever you need. The staff is friendly, the rooms are simple but clean and totally adequate and, like a hostel, the have a ton of activities you can join and they will help you book any kind of tour you're interested in. And, it was much cheaper than any other hotels in the area!

Room Tip: I chose a room with a private bathroom and was very happy I did. It was much more like a proper hotel than hostel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed at this hostel for 2 nights of my Australian vacation.Because of the size of it there is more a hotel atmosphere to it rather than the laid back hostel feeling.The room was great,very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful.The kitchen was immaculate as well as the lobby and guest rooms.Good location and great view from the top floor balcony.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2013

the good: very nice view from top of the hostel! you can see the opera house and also the harbour bridge. clean rooms and really clean kitchen, quite modern, good location

the bad: too expensive, but yeah you get what you pay for..

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo