“Hotel experience at hostel price”
Review of Sydney Harbour YHA

Sydney Harbour YHA
Ranked #2 of 145 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you usually stay at full-service hotels but can't afford sky-high Sydney prices, consider staying here. Excellent location in The Rocks with fantastic views. Sits over an interesting archealogiocal dig. Room was clean, private bath was large and modern, environment was quiet, nice common kitchen, 24/7 reception ...the only things missing were a TV and phone in the room. Airport shuttle service from front door available for $15 per person. Clientele ranged from seniors to single backpackers...limited children. Only downside was climb up steep hill (steps) to location...but location so near Circular Quay, Opera House, the Bridge, Darling Harbour just can't be beat. Staff at reception very helpful; internet (yours or theirs) available for minimum fee. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank formerflygal
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Sydney Harbour YHA, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Hi
Thank you for your review of Sydney Harbour YHA and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Just one quick point to clarify: we recommend that people get off the train at Wynyard Station, not Circular Quay, as it is then a flat walk to the hostel. There is more information that can be printed out on our website.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Slightly more expensive than other backpackers but you get what you pay for. This was my second stay here, the first was in 2010 and I was as good as I remember. Fantastic location in The Rocks, views of the bridge and opera house from the rooftop terrace. Great kitchen facilities. Extremely clean rooms with ensuites and very helpful staff. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Sydney. Even if you normally stay in hotels rather than backpackers, book a private room here for much cheaper and you'll feel just as comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Carly T
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with my partner,we had private room,great room basic but very clean,for what you get for the price it's great to be 5 mins walk to the opera house and bridge,great roof top terrace with great views of the harbour.pub next door great food.would I stay again yes loved it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sharon18069
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Location, Location, Location! This is very well situated for a tourist...very close to a lot of great things to do. I couldn't check-in right away, so I had to put my things in a locker, which was fine. Since I had a private room, with a private bath, I didn't really get the hostel experience here. It was very clean and modern. The only negative...and only to a degree, is the staff behind the counter weren't as friendly or helpful as I'm used to. On the other hand, one of the cleaning staff (I think her name was Kelly??) was very helpful! Random little tips: There is a cafe just across the street by a gym where you could get some good coffee, the visitor center is very close, and if you can't do the bridge climb, go to pylon's lookout (super close) for some great views! Safe Travels!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank chrisco447
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sydney Harbour YHA is in a fantastic location. You can pay a little extra for a view...we did and could look out onto the iconic Sydney Opera House.
The Rocks are a must see and a very short walk from here. The Rocks markets are lovely to visit on the weekend. You can catch a ferry to Manly from nearby Circular Quay.
Would I stay again? Sure thing!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blessings-to-you
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed here four nights in a double bed with bathroom. Good price for a nice efficient room. Right beside the Shangri-La which I'm sure is 4 times the price. Not really what I'd call a hostel, but it is a hostel, offering 4-8 room dorms. I loved the fact that I could cook my own meals if I didn't want to go out. My room was basic, clean and the bed was good....I slept well. I did wear ear plugs which I'm sure helped because there is an echo from the hallway. It is so convenient to the waterfront ferries, bus, restaurants and Sydney Opera House. This is a great accommodation for families, singles, couples and teens. No noise rule after 10 pm ....this is not a party hostel. Kitchen was very clean...and the 3rd floor view was an amazing plus for this place. Clear views of harbour and bridge.

Room Tip: looking for a double room with bathroom? I was in 113, could see Sydney Opera House but I think the...