“Excellent”
Review of Sydney Harbour YHA

Sydney Harbour YHA
Ranked #2 of 145 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is easily the best hostel that I have had a pleasure staying at, everything about it was perfect. The room impressed me the most - I stayed in a 4-share room and the room comes with a private bathroom! Also the room is spacious in itself and there are plugs everywhere in the room, even a plug near the bed night switch and in the locker...impressive.

The service at reception was really great. I enjoyed the continental breakfast for $6, it's just a great way to start your day. Unfortunately the rates are not the best for this YHA as they are more pricey compared to the other YHA's, but if you ever want to visit the Harbour Bridge & Opera House you definitely have to stay here!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank nmestar99
Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Booked a private room with a view for the first few days of our trip. Nice clean room with everything you need downstairs in the communal area. A bit more pricey compared to hostel accommodation in other parts of the city but it is worth it being in such a good area! Staff were friendly and happy to give tips on things to do and how to save some money during our stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MattiBee
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a very nice hostel. It is not cheap by any means but if you want to stay in The Rocks this is going to be the cheapest option. The location can't be beaten and the building itself is very cool, though it still has that distinctly hostile hostel aroma about it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

An overseas friend and I stayed in Dec. 2012. I booked a twin room with bathroom as we are older adults who like some privicey. I could not speak highly enough of the place, it was new, two years old,and built above an archiolgical dig. The room and other facilities were very good and exellent value for money. it was surprisingly quiet and we were not the only people staying there. I was looking for somewhere central and it could not have been better with only a short walk to Circular Quay, railway station, the Bridge and Opera House.
I would certainly revisit when I come to Sydney again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Meg B
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Finding this hostel was a pleasant surprise. We wanted to stay somewhere close to the Overseas Passenger Terminal at D.H the night before our cruise but with a family of 5 our options were limited. Not many inner city hotels have rooms available for 5 for under $400 a night. So when I stumbled across this hostel it looked ideal as we could all stay together in one of their family dorm rooms.
The hostel was very easy to find and the 5 of us (including the 4 year old and ample luggage) walked easily from Wynyard Station. The maps on the website were very clear.
Checking in was ok, the girls at the front desk weren't very friendly but when an attractive male backpacker walked in they were quite eager to serve him so I guess I didn't make the grade... In fact the whole check process was quite abrupt and disappointing.

The room was basic but very clean which is all we care about. The Bunks were comfortable and the shower was great so we were happy campers.

The best feature of this hostel is the upstairs roof top space which has the most amazing view! We could actually see our cruise ship which our children were very excited about. You can also see the Harbour Bridge and the Opera house quite well.
Another great feature of the hostel was the location. We arrived on a Sunday so we stumbled upon the Rocks markets which was an easy 5 minute walk away. It was also close to Pancakes at the Rocks located in the Rocks which completely impressed the kids.

All in all, Im very glad that we stayed at this hostel but I do recommend that the employees do some staff development on customer service because its a shame that are ultimately letting the hostel down.

Room Tip: The family rooms are ideal for families with 3 or more children!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank GingerTreeFrog
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Sydney Harbour YHA, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Hi AustraliaGinger. Thanks for your review of this hostel, and glad that you generally enjoyed your stay. YHA appreciates all comments on our hostels, and the manager has seen your review and is raising the front desk check in with his staff. We do undertake customer service training at least twice a year at all our properties, but it is something you can never do too many times!

One clarification - our family rooms sleep 4 or 5 in total - so usually 1 or 2 adults and 1 to 3 children. Larger families would need to book two rooms.

We hope to see you again at a YHA hostel.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

YHA costs more than what I'd usually pay for a hostel but I've never regretted my decision. Unlike many other hostels in the area catering for solo backpackers who like to party, the common area are mostly quiet. It is the most "civilised" and family-oriented hostel I've been to.

The room and the kitchen are spacious and clean. I stayed in a 4-bed dorm with an ensuite bathroom. It has an individual reading light and power point by the bed, and the one thing that suprised me the most is the power point inside the locker (big enough to fit a 50 litres backpack), that I can charge my laptop/mobile while I was showering or out, with a peace of mind!

The rooftop view is fabulous, it overlooks Sydney Harbour with the Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House within your sight.

Room Tip: 4-bed dorm and 6-bed dorm are only of $2 different
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lonerlover
Reviewed January 17, 2013

... because this hostel beats most of them hands down on location, price and facilities. Sure you have to share a room but when it's fresh, airy and spacious with only four beds and has its own bathroom attached, it's definitely a sacrifice worth making.
The whole place feels modern and clean and the kitchens / dining area are fantastic. There's a comfortable sitting/computer space and wifi is reasonable. Staff are helpful and efficient.
The roof top views of the harbour area are stunning but (tempting as it may be for only $6) I wouldn't advise the evening meal option up there: the kangaroo "burger" was inedible! And beware the grocery downstairs - it's a total rip off and the shop staff appeared to try to take advantage of some folk who were still getting to grips with the currency. That apart, it's a brilliant place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo