“1st time at YHA and perceptions of it - very different now!”
Review of Sydney Harbour YHA

Sydney Harbour YHA
Ranked #2 of 149 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have never really travelled on my own before - this is my 2nd year (last year was a 15 day tour of Sri Lanka - where I met my new friends from Australia). I travelled to Melbourne for 2+ weeks with my friends and had decided on 5 days in Sydney (just whilst I was there!) My friend in Sydney was away on holiday in Tasi - so I had to fend for myself! Argh! My Australian friends suggested YHA! - I thought it was all rough and ready, not very clean and all fight for a space kind of thing! I opted for the YHA at Sydney Harbour as very central, on the Circular Quay so straight from Airport on the train and available! I stayed for 3 nights, it was stunning,very clean, airy, staff were very helpful and amenities in house and close by. I did not realise how many hills and steps Sydney had especially compared to Melbourne! A good pair of walking trainers is a must!

Room Tip: I had my own private room and had a view of the Opera House on the 3rd Floor It is all very new.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Joanne M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed January 25, 2012

This place was amazing: from our room we could see the Opera House and the bridge.

This place was quite affordable and had all the modern amenities: a large kitchen with four cooking stations, numerous computers, a lounge with a big screen tv, and an amazing rooftop terrace with spectacular views.

Met up and hung out with some great fellow travelers. The place just had a great vibe. Without any doubt, I would stay here again when I return to Sydney.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank McGrupp10799
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I found out about this YHA hostel by chance when looking at another YHA on their website, and I am so glad I did. The hostel is located in the heart of the Rocks area of Sydney just a few mins walk from Circular Quay, where you can enjoy one of the best views in the world, looking out at the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, and the Harbour, and also catch one of the many harbour ferries. The one (and probably only) downside to its location, is that you do need to be fairly fit to walk to it from Circular Quay or any of the other public transport stops, as there are a couple of sets of very steep steps to go up, or a longer walk around the roads. Once you have negotiated this, you can then appreciate how great this place is. The first thing you will notice is that the hostel is built on the site of an archaeological dig, but has been built to enhance and promote the dig rather than ruin it, and you get a great insight into 'old' Sydney throughout the building. The reception is spacious and the staff are really friendly and helpful. Although travelling on my own, I chose to pay a bit extra to have a double room with a harbour view, rather than a dorm, and it was really worth every penny, and I would recommend a room with a harbour view to everyone if you can afford the extra. If not, don't panic, just head up to the hostels roof terrace, which will more than make up for it. As you look out from the terrace to your right will be Sydneys high rise buildings, infront of you Circular Quay, the Opera House, and the Harbour, and to your left, the Harbour Bridge. It is truely stunning. Check out the interactive webcam on their website if you don't believe me. It is the sort of place where you could just sit for hours looking at the amazing views.

The hostel itself is very clean, and although basic, the rooms are also clean and spacious. The double room I stayed in had a great ensuite toilet and bathroom too. You probably wouldn't want to stay in the room for days or hours on end, but then who goes to Sydney to stay in their room.

There is a late night mini supermarket next door to the hostel which is handy for snacks, soft drinks etc, and a pub just down the road for your alcoholic drinks.

Overall, yes, this hostel does cost a little bit more than some other hostels, but it is so worth it, and I reckon that once you've stayed here once, you will never stay anywhere else in Sydney again. I'll certainly be back next time I get to go to Oz again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Stuart C
Reviewed January 21, 2012

This hostel is just great! It is in the city center (the 4 seasons and the ShangriLa are next to the hostel..) with a roof top terrace overlooking the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.

My room was pretty big and everyone has a reading light + power plug and a locker with an additional power plug inside!! The common area is cozy and the kitchen was always clean.
I wouldn't stay anywhere else!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank california2505
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for three nights in a private double room with ensuite. While it is obviously more expensive than your average hostel, you can't argue the price when you see the location, the views, and the facilities. The location is fantastic, you are within walking distance of all the major tourism sites. The facilities are some of the best I have seen in a hostel - the kitchen is equipped with everything you could need, there are loads of computers (though you do have to pay for the internet), and the rooftop terrace offers the most beautiful view of Circular Quay. It was a mostly quiet hostel and I saw people of all ages there. I would absolutely recommend this place for anyone.

As a side note, I would recommend you take advantage of the coupons for drinks at the Australian Heritage Hotel not far away, but beware - their food is exorbitantly priced and the pizzas are TINY!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NephOzB
Reviewed January 19, 2012

First of all the location is great. It's only about 15 min. walk to the Opera House and is central to a lot of other key locations. The view is amazing from the roof terrace, where you also find a BBQ and sun-chairs. Very relaxing.

The facilities are great, with plenty of stoves, toasters, equipment, fridges and places to put your food. You can also buy breakfast and lunch there in you prefer.

Located in the main room is about 8 computers so you have easy internet access. In the building are also plenty of washing machines and dryers.

The rooms are good, nice shower, good beds and a locker for your stuff. The price might be a bit on the high end, but it is still great value. Also I didn't feel that the staff I talked had great knowledge of activities and the area, so that could be improved.

All in all, it has everything you need to stay comfortable on your Sydney adventure. I would stay there again the next time I visit Sydney

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our Australian holiday, great hostel, friendly staff, stayed in a very clean,modern double room. the hostel had great views of the harbour bridge , and opera house from the rooftop terrace area, and was also built on a archealogical site which was really interesting. for price and location would choose to stay here again when in Sydney

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple