“Amazing views from the roof with clean, modern rooms”
Review of Sydney Harbour YHA

Sydney Harbour YHA
Ranked #2 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Maui, Hawaii
“Amazing views from the roof with clean, modern rooms”
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Stayed one night in an en suite room. Bathroom had a glass shower area and modern fixtures. Felt like we were in a Hyatt or something. The rooftop has a spectacular view, especially at night. Go out for dinner and bring some wine back to the roof to watch the city lights come on. Nice luggage lockers on the main floor- you just add payment to later if you're gone for a while. Super staff with great suggestions. Great little breakfast bar in the YHA itself. Easy and comfortable internet area. Saw travellers of all ages, not just college kids. A very enjoyable stay- Tip: take a cab with your luggage from the train station. It was around 5 bucks and while it isn't very far to walk, there are loads of ancient steps, huge hills and cobblestones enroute. I had a big bag and it was literally a drag. Took the cab to the station when we checked out. Great place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Southern California, USA
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Amazing! On so many levels.

We stayed there for four nights in the middle of April 2011. GREAT location in the heart of the historic district. Close to the train station, the ferry landing, pubs, shops and restaurants. It has a beautiful rooftop deck with a breathtaking view of both the harbor and of the Sydney Opera house. On Thursday night there was a great bbq on the roof for only $6 as well.

The staff were so helpful, friendly and accommodating. We had one random loud Friday night and the staff was appalled. I could tell it was the exception not the norm. The kitchen was HUGE good amounts of refrigerator and shelf space. All the facilities were meticulously cleaned and up kept.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat and recommend it to all my friends traveling to Sidney.

Room Tip: Book early & if it seems full on line, call.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 16ocean
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed at Sydney Harbour YHA twice, at the start and at the end of my Oz/Kiwiland trip, and the repeat business was earned by the friendly staff as well as the excellent location of the hostel. After reading reviews here, I chose to take a shuttle from the airport instead of the train to Circular Quay, and I am glad I did, since the stairs and/or the road going up to the hostel is not very luggage/weight-on -your-back friendly. However, once there, it was great--the dorms were clean, with ensuite bathrooms and very roomy lockers in the room. Power outlets in the locker was a great way to charge up the laptop and the cellphone while you slept. Nice kitchen facilities, and walking distance to many attractions, as well as a Coles and a Woolworths where you could stock up on food and snacks and whatnot. All in all, great experience my first time around in Australia, definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This place is only a short walk from Circular Quay, making traveling around Sydney cheaper and easier (for example, if you want to get on a Ferry to manly, you can walk to the ferry, don't have to bus it). I would stay here again for the location and the great view of the harbour you get from the third floor deck. It's also a very new hostel, very clean, and has lockers in both the rooms and on the first floor for during the day storage. Plenty of computers, plenty of common areas. HOWEVER, the service here sucks. Sure, my room was clean and everything, but I dreaded everytime I had to go talk to the people at the front desk. They were slow, stupid, and not very nice. Anything I asked them to do, it seemed like they had no idea how to do it. Also, there is obviously a fairly young crowd here, to be expected, but the walls and ceilings in this place are made out of paper. Anyone being loud throughout the buidling, you could often hear. I ranked my sleep quality a three only because it was often very loud outside of my room.

Room Tip: Stay on 3rd floor, away from any open areas.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nonstopski
London
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Cons: I think I picked a bad week as it was very noisy. Kids were using the stairs around the rooms to run up and down screeching from about 6am and bedroom doors, which were heavy firedoors, were let slam shut at all times of the night so I slept really badly and I'm a heavy sleeper.

I had a double en-suite at $175 AUD or £115 at current exchange rates and for that I got a stark room (a bit like a prison cell) with nothing in it (room for a fridge and a plug and aerial for a flat screen TV but someone must have had second thoughts) - it was a bit depressing. The en-suite was cheap looking and the shower taps took a few goes until the right temperature was reached.

The terrace area does have fantastic views but these were spoilt by a procession of teenagers screaming and jumping up and down for photos and shouting at each other (thanks)

WiFI was not free which was irritating but something I have got used to in Australia

Pros: Very clean kitchen and a good breakfast for $6. Super efficient and friendly reception. Very near the Bridge Climb and Opera House. I also really liked the recycling efforts and the free food fridge idea (for backpackers)

Summary: I still haven't found my perfect Sydney hotel and this one was spoilt by some inconsiderate guests.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I arrived at 11am after a long flight from the UK. I was shattered! Reception informed me check in was not until 2pm. Fair enough, although it would've been nice if they'd made some effort to change me to a room that had already been cleaned. They offered lockers to store my luggage so that seemed like a good and fair enough arrangement. However, the lockers are paid and a real hassle. When staying at this hostel, unless ur flights fit in exactly with 2pm check in and 10am check out, be prepared to add another 8/10 pounds to your budget for locker costs. Just seems with the amount you pay a night here, free lockers wouldn't be too much of an ask!
However, location is amazing and there's always things going on e.g. mexican night, BBQ, bingo. The building itself is very 'factory' like. Too many steel staircases and white walls for my liking. It is bustling, so the atmosphere is there, just feel it could be cosier. The room was fine with ensuite bathroom, though that wasn't cleaned reguarly. No 'niceities' thrown in e.g. am having to pay 4$ for this internet connection. The view from the rooftop is fabulous but could be made so much more out of. The rooftop is just simply scatted with a few uncoomfortable metal benches and chairs, that aren't even at a high enough level from which to appreciate the view. No food or drinks served up there which seems like a missed opportunity.
However, all in all, location makes up for the flaws and I always felt absolutely safe here.

Room Tip: Set aside 10 pounds for lockers.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank weixiao82
New York, NY
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Even though this is technically a hostel, with our own room and bathroom, it was more like a simple but adequate hotel in a great location. I'd been to Sydney before and knew that staying in the Rocks would be great, but hotels there are very expensive. So, when I found the Sydney Harbour YHA I was sold - it was new and clean and has a rooftop with opera house and bridge views! The staff was very helpful and friendly - we arrived very early in the morning after 24 hours in the air and even though our room wasn't quite ready, we were given towels and allowed to use all the facitilties so we could clean up and get going for the day. They answered all our questions about restaurants, bars, and sights in the area, helped us book a tour, and even directed us to some very random fabric shops my friend needed to visit.
We didn't have any problems with noise - this is not a party hostel. In fact, many of the people we saw staying were older couples or families who were obviously thinking the same thing we were.
I would absolutely recommend this place and not just for backpackers - as hostels go it's not that cheap, but as an alternative to one of the crazy high priced hotels in the area, it was great!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends