“Impressed, enjoyed and recommended”

Sake Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #34 of 5,997 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Rocks
Description: Set within an impressive designer space in the historic Argyle Precinct at The Rocks, Saké Restaurant & Bar serves up contemporary Japanese fare created by sushi master Shimpei Hatanaka, who draws on authentic Japanese training to present an outstanding mix of new-style sushi and classic dishes.Shimpei's menu changes with the seasons and is perfectly matched to a premium range of imported sakes, allowing guests to gain greater insight into the age-old Japanese tradition of delicately balancing flavours. Awarded with a coveted Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide Chef's Hat each year since opening, Saké is sure to exceed your expectations. Call in for cocktails, pull up a seat at the sushi bar or settle in with friends for the evening and savour the experience!
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I visited Sake with friends and not having been there before or knowing much about it or 'modern Japanese' cuisine I did not know what to expect. In short the decor is great, the traditional seating for some tables is fun and the food was excellent. A large menu is good (and makes choosing difficult), with a mostly seafood options + great vege. Note: non seafood eaters (normally me) there are some great options on the menu, wagu beef, Duck etc ... but more importantly, try some of the options you may normally ignore and you will be pleasantly surpised. I tried butterfly fish sashimi, and loved it. Small note, that the $$ are pretty high, but in keeping with a restaurant of this quality. Special occassion or not, I thoroughly recommend Sake.

There are newer reviews for Sake Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Really good food, a bit pricey but worth it. My main complaint and why I will not return revolves around the service, our server was a bit rude and pushed us a bit to get drinks. We had just returned from touring vineyards in tasmania and didn't feel up for drinking and passed. The bar manager then approached us to ask if we wanted drinks. My friend finally felt pressured into getting wine. I said I didn't want a drink TWICE and got a 5 minute lecture on sake, I again said I isn't wanted a drink and then was asked again. I finally bought a glass of wine as I felt like I didn't have a choice. Almost felt like I was in a situation with a used car salesman. I wouldn't return but I will say the rest of the restaurants owned by the same company the area are nice.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Having eaten at Sake twice previously with friends and family, my wife and I decided to visit as a couple. On a busy Saturday night our 8.45pm booking found us seated at a large table in the corridor on the way to the bathroom. The private rooms adjacent to the corridor were hosting a loud wedding party so our ambience was poor to say the least. Shortly after we ordered the food began to come swiftly and the pace never slowed, even between entrees and mains, it did not miss a military beat. We soon felt the restaurant was just squeezing punters in, feeding them at pace and then turning the tables as frequently as possible. This is the mark of an establishment that through some justifiable popularity has become greedy and arrogant....we will not return, but perhaps they will pull in more passers by in shorts and flip flops to grace their better tables !

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was in Sydney on vacation this summer and I went to sake with some local and international friends after hearing good things. At the start of the evening the service was excellent. We ordered drinks and lots of food. The food came quickly and every taste was a delight. Fresh and delicious. And then the service just stopped. We didn't see our waitress for about 30 minutes. Plates were left empty, littering the table and we couldn't find a waitress to order more drinks. Some of the food didn't even arrive an hour later. Fed up with the bad/non service and lack of concern from management (whom we did speak to) our party got up, paid the bill and left hungry for more of the delicious food. An anti climax if there ever was one. Such a pity

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We picked this restaurant on line from a large selection and our choice was spot on. Set back from the hustle and bustle of the Rocks this place " rocked" !
Everything we ordered was very well presented and fresh.
The decor was both traditional and modern Japanese and suited the style of restaurant.
The staff were very obliging and friendly.