“Second trip as good as the first”

Sydney Coast Walks - Day Walks
Ranked #105 of 339 Tours in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: With some of Sydney's best natural beauty only accessible on foot, Sydney Coast Walks provides guided walking tours of the city's national parks. The privately guided hikes of Sydney Harbour National Park and Royal National Park enables you to reconnect with nature and experience the wonder of Sydney's outdoors. From easy half day and full day walks, to more challenging overnight hikes, choose a walk to suit your style. Full of interesting commentary including aboriginal sites, history and native plants and animals, you'll leave with a greater understanding and appreciation for the unique environment you're walking through.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Ann Arbor
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Second trip as good as the first”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I just finished the Wattamolla two-day walk and had a terrific time. I booked it after having done the whale watching trip (one day) a couple years ago. The whole set-up couldn't have been better. I did both tours as add-ons to business trips from the US. Sydney Coast Walks (and the convenience of the Royal National Park) make it easy to get out of the city and into a beautiful and unique park. The website has very clear and realistic descriptions of the trips.

We saw a ton of whales on the whale watching trip. It is an easy ramble and simply beautiful. Bring bins if you can, to enhance the whale and bird watching.

The two-day trip was a bigger adventure: it is hiking, so you need to be fit. The organization and leadership is top notch. i have been lucky enough to do similar trips in many places and would rate it world-class: the guides (Carol and Ian), the food, the whole package. One example: Carol's husband met us as we came out of the park with cold water on a hot day and Carol waited with us until we caught our train, "just to make sure". Wow!

SydneyCoastWalks, Owner at Sydney Coast Walks - Day Walks, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and so glad we could welcome you back. We love our corner of the Earth and appreciate that you believe the experience compares well on a world-level. Thank you again!

Queensland
“A thirst for knowledge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Being new to the Sydney area my wife and I were seeking some alternative ways to get out and see the traps. Sure the Opera House and Harbour Bridge are amazing but I can honestly say that Ian and the team at Sydney Coast Walks really add a very much appreciated dimension to the whole experience. We completed the shortest trip, the South Head Tour and were just thrilled, will most definately be booking some of their other tours

Visited November 2012
SydneyCoastWalks, Owner at Sydney Coast Walks - Day Walks, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
So glad you enjoyed one of our new Sydney Harbour National Park walking tours. We look forward to seeing you again.
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wattamolla Hiking Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I recently did the Wattamolla Hiking Tour (two days) with ‘Sydney Coast Walk’ and it was my third walk with this tour operator. I was so impressed that I booked my fourth walk, a day-hike, a few days later.
The coast track runs just about the whole length of the Royal National Park and is overlooking spectacular coastal scenery.

Depending on whom you ask and small detours made, the track is between 26km and 31km long.
I decided to have the overnight luggage transported to the camp site and I was glad I did. For me, a lighter day-pack allowed an easier hike to enjoy the beautiful coastal scenery without being burdened by stuff I only needed for the night. I found the first day quite easy and the walking pace just right. Carol was a wonderful guide with plenty of stories to tell and great local knowledge. It was obvious that she too enjoyed the walk and this enthusiasm spread throughout the group, adding to a great shared experience.

Arriving at the Wattamolla campsite brought an immediate smile to my face; a marquis with a table and white table cloth awaited us and we enjoyed a pre-dinner glass of wine and nibblies. While the walkers were chatting Carol prepared a delicious dinner, including a lovely desert! The tents were set up and, like in a good hotel; our over-night bag was neatly placed inside the tent. I am sure I fell asleep smiling!
Once the park gates are locked and all day-visitors gone, Wattamolla becomes an exclusive camp site for this group only. What more could you want?

I found the second day also pretty easy; some sections of the track are on elevated steel grates. There are ascents and descents which some people may find a bit hard on knees and muscles, but the walking pace is such that they are manageable for reasonably fit people. The walk up to Otford is all uphill but, again, if you take it easy it is manageable. For footwear I usually wear what the guides wear, hiking boots. The track is uneven and can be wet in some places. However, as mentioned on the website, trainers or joggers with a good sole are fine too. The Bundeena to Otford track is not a city stroll and if you have hiking boots I would suggest to wear them.

Don’t be discouraged or disappointed if rain is forecast. As on my first hike with Sydney Coast Walks, it rained on the first day. Bring a rain jacket and enjoy the difference. Listening to and watching huge waves thunder onto the beaches is an experience not to be missed and often only happens on or after rainy days.

The food, from breakfast to dinner was excellent and I found the description on Sydney Coast Walk’s website informative and accurate.

I am looking forward to the next hike and will do this hike again one day.

Visited November 2012
SydneyCoastWalks, Owner at Sydney Coast Walks - Day Walks, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
A very warm welcome back and a big thank you for sharing your experience! Thanks also for some great tips for other walkers, and the gorgeous photos. We look forward to welcoming you back on another hike.
Sydney, Australia
“Sydney Coast Walks - GO ON, TAKE A HIKE - you'll love it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We did the Marley tour and want to go back for the overnight tour. The day was sensational, views spectacular and we'd never have gone off the track without a guide and Sydney Coas Walks owner Ian Wells was so well versed with the lay of the land it meant we could relax and just enjoy it. The lunch spot was so amazing, we watched whales with their calves whilst enjoying a freshly made bagel in the shade of an overhanging sandstone cliff ledge - truly a experience to tick off the bucket list.

Visited October 2012
SydneyCoastWalks, Owner at Sydney Coast Walks - Day Walks, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
We really appreciate your kind words - thank you! - and very much looking to seeing you again on another walking tour.
Sydney
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“A great day out in the southern suburbs of Sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

A great day out in one of Sydney's mnore secluded areas, Bundeena. I went on the half day tour and we had a great walk. Wonderful aboriginal rock carvings and the pace was great, as well as the scenery.

Visited October 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you enjoyed your tour.