“Not as i remembered”

Rockpool Bar & Grill
Reserve with
Rockpool Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 5,835 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not as i remembered”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

OK to be honest I think I had rose colored glasses from eating at RPBG a few years ago. My wife and I swoon remembering the whole experience. I was so looking forward to returning and eating in this magnificent venue. I took 3 friends to dinner a week ago and the food was.. very good. However, it was in all the little things that I felt a nagging sense that the standard had dropped. One of my friend's who lives in Sydney warned me that in addition to being expensive they had a few less than memorable experiences.

The food as i mentioned was very good. But the service was poor. I ultimately waited fro my bill and then my credit card to come back for almost 30 minutes. i went and physically hunted down the waiter with our bill and my card. That is not how it should be. My next trip to Sydney.. I will probably try somewhere new..

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
“Where is the complexity?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

RBAG is a highly rated Sydney diner under the tutelage of one of Australia's most renowned chefs. It ain't cheap but you wouldn't expect it to be. It espouses a strong reliance on getting the best produce. Sounds good, eh?
Certainly the physical setting is very striking, a former palatial financial house stylishly revamped. Bit like eating in the Hagia Sofia. The waitpersons are attentive and project just the right amount of personality.
Entrees were tasty and delicate, certainly up to standard. I then ordered what was described as crispy fish with "crazy water". What I got was a stack of deep fried battered fish on a thin base of rapidly evaporating acqua pazza sauce. The fish was heavy with oil and indeed rather sickening, without any complexity to the dish such as one might expect from a fine dining establishment. As I watched the much-vaunted steaks being brought to other diners, I saw they were similarly basic in presentation, with the waitperson ceremoniously administering the chosen sauce to the plate.
Hey, Neil, where's the interest in a meal like that? Good produce is vital, but there has to be some culinary value-add. You could say I chose the wrong dish, but there shouldn't be a wrong dish in a place like that. It's certainly the last time I'll pay fifty bucks for a plate of greasy fish and chips (without the chips).

• Visited August 2013
Sydney
“Overpriced and very average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I went to the Rockpool Bar & Grill with a small group of friends as one was visiting from overseas and had insisted on taking us somewhere nice.

The menu is huge and looks very impressive. We all opted for quite different entrees although all of us decided on steak for the main. After all, why would you go to a grill to have something other than steak. The entrees seemed to go down well with everyone. I had clams which were quite good.

The rump steak I got though, was quite poor being sinewy and tough. I would have been unhappy in a brasserie with this steak but it was terribly disappointing for a restaurant of this standard and a steak of this price. I was of half a mind to complain but the restaurant was packed and I didn't want to embarrass our host.

Desserts were well presented. I had a black forest cake ala Fat Duck but it was not that enjoyable.

Overall, disappointing for the price.

Visited August 2013
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Waltzin Matilda”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Pitched up late looking for a table,There was going to be a bit of a wait for the restaurant so elected to eat in the bar. We were not disappointed. We were looked after by Matilda and she was a credit to the restaurant, intelligent,informative and excellent with customers. The food was excellent and the building is iconic.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank 19Graham68
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

LOVEEEEEE the food and atmosphere here. Unfortunately our waiter was a bit cocky towards my partner, however lovely towards me (don't know if that had anything to do with him being french?). I wouldn't think twice about taking family and friends there, its always a good time.

• Visited May 2013