“Good value, great location, comfortable stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Song Hotel Sydney

Song Hotel Sydney
Ranked #103 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good value, great location, comfortable stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

After staying in hostels for most of my trip, I decided to treat myself to a single en-suite room at the Y Hotel for my 3 nights in Sydney. I'm very glad I did! The Hotel is in an excellent location - I walked to everything. The room itself was really well equipped and very comfortable and clean, I wish I could have stayed longer. Staff were super friendly and helpful - they kindly checked me in very early and had a room I could leave my luggage in on my final day. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Clare2108
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Hi Clare

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Y Hotel Hyde Park. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you wanted to ‘stay longer’! Customer service is an integral part of the Y Hotel community so we are glad that our staff made you feel welcome.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed in March for 2 nights.
The staff were not friendly or courteous.
We endeared our room to find clusters of dust all through the closet, and no additional power points, the only ones where behind the bed for lamps which were also dusty. The air conditioner hardly reached a cool temperature which was no good because there is no access to open balcony doors and there are no windows to open.
There was no phone in our room to contact staff only on the hall way which they did not answer once.
We had to share a bathroom which had rusted areas and needed fans installed. The bathrooms needed to be cleaned more often as peoples left over towels and wash sponges where in there for our entire stay .
Breakfast we satisfactory as you could up grade which was good although they left out half my partners meal as they needed to cook more and then never returned to finish bringing out her food, when we approached they said kitchen was closed. Absolutely appalling .
Baggage area was available although was unlocked the whole time and unattended therefore NOT secure .
Overall... Terrible experience .
Do not recommend .

• Stayed March 2014
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Moniqueecalcagno,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Y Hotel Hyde Park.

We value all feedback we receive as it gives us an opportunity to review our operations, refocus and improve where required, or otherwise allows us to thank our team members for a job well done.

For security reasons, our balcony doors only open about 10 cm. Y Hotel Hyde Park offers rooms with private facilities (Deluxe) as well as rooms sharing a bathroom (Traditional). Our luggage room is locked and can only be open by the front office team, though very clearly we state that this facility is offered as a convenience and that no responsibility can be taken for items stored. We also offer to look after any valuables in our back office.

I am disappointed that our facilities and services did not measure up to expectations and please accept my sincere apology.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Best regards
Jean-Claude Niederer

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

So. Me and my partner stayed in this hotel for the dates of 22-24 march 2014.
Great location. Close to the main streets. But that's as far as it went.
For what it cost at last minute, I wish I had paid extra and gone to another hotel.
The room was TINY. Shared bathrooms was disgusting. Cleanliness was beyond a joke. The showers were appalling. So slow, no power. A ten minute shower took 30 minutes due to the slow water from the shower.
Staff were vile too. Not helpful. I am writing this review because I tried to make a complaint in the hotel and got told to wait for a manager (which never appeared).
you can upgrade your breakfast for $6 PP.
Hash brown, bacon, egg, sausage and tomato.
Good price if you ask me.
The trouble is you don't get all of your breakfast!
I had gone to make coffee, they brought the two breakfasts over to my partner, my hash brown was missing. They didn't ask 'do you want your breakfast without the hash brown whilst we cook it, or do you want to wait?'
They just instantly assumed i would be ok to wait for it, on top of the 15 minute wait for my breakfast already.
So I'm waiting for my hash brown and of course, I never got it!
So I paid $6 for a upgrade; and didn't really get what I paid for.
When asking to make a complain instantly, I got attitude and told to wait for the manager.

Then I asked for more sachets of coffee for my room, got more attitude and told the maid should have left some in there.
She didn't. If she did I wouldn't be asking!
Do not waste your money, pay the extra $50 or whatever and get a decent hotel room, with a decent bathroom and decent staff.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Mia170891
Dear Mia170891,

I would like first of all to thank you for your feedback following your stay at Y Hotel Hyde Park in March.

Reading through your comments I am particularly disappointed that we did not listen and show you the respect and empathy you should be able to expect from us. These skills have been readressed and reinforced since your stay as they are the ones that can differentiate us from our competition.

Thank you again for your time.
Best regards
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

The room was about $150 per night for a double, which included an excellent cold breakfast. You could upgrade to a hot breakfast for another $7 ( I think), but not that many people did as the cold breakfast was great. There is no telephone in the room and the TV is behind the closet doors - not a problem though. The staff were exceptionally friendly. The only downside was that we booked two rooms, the other for my teenage daughter. The room came without curtains and people in other rooms could see inside. They did give us another room but if there was not another room available...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hi Ozbee,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Y Hotel Hyde Park. Customer feedback is so important to us here at Y Hotel, so we really appreciate when our guests take the time to offer their thoughts. We are sorry to hear about the mix up with the rooms and the curtains, but we trust that our staff did their best to accommodate you and provide your daughter with another room.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our cold breakfast option and that our staff were ‘very friendly’. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and hopefully we will see you again
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed over the Mardi Gras period, had to wait for my room to be cleaned, which is understandable for the busy period, they offered free secure bag storage, staff was always friendly and courteous. i booked a room with shared bathroom but was given a room with en-suite which was nice, however there was rust in the shower - a definite health risk, the shower rose (the bit that holds it) was broken, and made it hard to take a shower. the bed was comfy, room was reasonably clean, was good enough for a place to drop clothes, shower and sleep. it isn't the best hotel but its a YWCA property, if you expect luxury... this isn't a place for you..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
JCNiederer, General Manager at Song Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear inkydj,

I appreciate your comments following your stay over the Mardi Gras weekend.

We have since your stay set up a maintenance/housekeeping programme to check all our private bathrooms and address any issues of concern.

Many thanks and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to Y Hotel Hyde Park when you next visit Sydney.

Best regards,
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I would like to express my gratitude and thanks for the service and honesty of staff at this Hotel. Staff and management have bent over backwards to help me and return a sum of cash I left in the room. Honesty and service from this establishment has to be commended. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Pauline,

Thank you for taking the time to write about Y Hotels. We are so glad to hear that your interaction with our staff was so positive. We pride ourselves on staff integrity and delivering the best customer service for our guests, so we are glad to hear that we were able to help you with this situation. (There is nothing worse than losing something!)

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit
perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed at Y hotel for 7 nights in March 2014 in a twin bed. Paid just over $100 night and inc a continental breakfast each day (juice, tea/coffee, toast & selection of cereals). I stayed in the same room for a similar duration 2 years ago.

Value for money I cannot fault Y hotel. The staff at reception are friendly and efficient, the rooms a decent size, with very little noise (suggest asking for a room overlooking the garden vs. the road to minimise noise). As some previous reviews have commented, the rooms are a modest size, without a phone etc. However, for the price you pay this hotel provides excellent value for money.

The shared bathrooms were always clean and I never had to wait to use them.

The location is excellent- inbetween circular quay and the inner suburbs (glebe, ultimo, surry hills, Darlinghurst etc.) so you can walk to both.

I would happily stay at Y hotel again and would strongly recommend it to budget travellers with realistic expectations for the price being paid.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hi PerthEggs (which is something we thought we would never say!)

Thank you for recommending Y Hotels as an “excellent budget option”. We are so glad to hear that your stay with us was positive and that our staff were friendly and efficient. You are right to comment on the location – we truly are in the heart of Sydney (even if that does mean you do end up ‘hearing the heart beat’ of the city as well!)

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and hopefully we will see you in the near future