“A bad night's sleep”

Ranked #103 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne
“A bad night's sleep”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as I wanted somewhere close to the centre without having to pay exorbitant prices (I even booked through Wotif for a cheaper price). However, considering what the usual room rate was for an 'Economy room' (four single beds, shared bathroom), I'm glad I didn't pay full price. For one thing, I awoke at dawn as the curtains were basically non-existent, and traffic noise started up soon afterwards, not to mention that the bed was poor quality. Having backpacked, I could deal with a shared bathroom, however they were incredibly non-user-friendly; putting your possessions on the small ledge in the shower meant they got soaked, and the crappy showerhead could only be moved sideways, not up or down. The free breakfast was nothing special (toast, cereal, tea/coffee) and anything with taste cost extra. Despite what others have said, I had no issue with the staff, who were courteous and helpful, and the luggage storage was especially useful while I did other things before my flight home. However, for the price, courteous house staff are not enough to justify staying here, and I won't be doing so again.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, stay away from the Economy rooms; they are called this for very good reason.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank brendanb76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This place may be cheap for Sydney, but at almost $200 a night you expect more than a glorified hostel and that's what this is. The TV would be too small to watch from bed. There was a weird balcony outside my room which apparently is not to be used for security reasons but still had cigarette butts on it.

I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Snompi

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.. the worst asian staff serving without any courtesy. . Arrived sometime before 2 pm asked if I could get any idea of when the room might be available. . My wife was sick... but guess what heartless reception staff just said to me even if u ask me 1000 times answer is going to be same... I could see many checkouts infront of me.. but still no courtesy at all... guys please never go here...

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank sunny0870
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here during our first trip to Sydney. We enjoyed the location of this hotel and the accommodations were decent for the price. We had a queen size bed with a shared bathroom. Someone was sneaking into the bathroom to smoke, but other than that, the bathrooms were well maintained (not staff's fault). The rooms were small, but this was expected, and staff were friendly and helpful. Overall, if your looking for luxury, not your place, but if you're looking for a nice place to stay to save some $ while in Sydney, we were happy here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Everything need money. No free wifi as in most of the asia countries do. Let u checked into the room without telling u about the service of internet, deposit of the savety box. It makes me come down all the way from my room juz to get some nfo as there isnt any phone in the room.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The central city location is great, with buses and Museum station very close, and Hyde Park right opposite. A few minutes in the train took me to Circular Quay with a range of ferries, or short walk to the Opera House. I paid a bit extra for a studio room with private bathroom, the room was quite large and clean, good value, and the included continental breakfast was fine. I could have paid a bit extra for a cooked breakfast but didn't need that. For those on a budget there are shared room with shared bathrooms, and common seating areas. The staff were helpful. Overall good value if you want a good location and you're not wanting to pay for luxury.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Suzanne H
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Well, one can say you get what you pay for. Next time I will rather spend few bucks more.
Location: good
Room: -- tiny. What you see on the photo is the whole room. Barely any space to move.
Shared facilities is an interesting experience. There is no toilet or shower in the room. I did not even think this is possible. Last time I had that experience was over 20 years ago and not in Australia.
When I was booking, amenities listed internet. When I arrived, I was told that this is optional extra at a cost. Website did not mention the cost (listing at hotelclub website) and did not had "*" next to it to indicate additional cost. And hotel refused to fix the problem by providing the internet or reducing the cost. Luckily I have generous data provisoiin on my mobile.
Aircon in room is loud, beds are small.
Breakfast only included toasts and cereals. Anything else, including reasonable cofee, is extra.
So, if you want something cheap, by all means stay there. Otherwise, spend extra $20-$30/night and get a better place. I know I will next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business