“For lovers of fine food and wine.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sepia
Ranked #97 of 5,816 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
“For lovers of fine food and wine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Been a few times in a row. Was confident enough to take people from interstate with this being the main event. We were not disappointed and the only issue is that I got totally euphoric and blew the wine budget. this was because Ben, one of the sommeliers, guided me so well. i and friends have decent cellars so trying new wines to match good food is such a pleasure. While everything was superb fish is handled with such poise and elegance. My only criticism is the dessert portion was too big and felt guilty about not eating every morsel. The service is as slick as anywhere I have been anywhere in the world. This is not for others who want standard food; this is an adventure for foodies.

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
Lugano, Switzerland
“Great deserts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Very good service, tastefull food, lovely extended winelist.
Two points to consider : bathroom ! You have to share the restroom in a public space so the restaurant can not guarantee you the quality of hygiene ! This is not done for such an upscale restaurant. I assume you can imagine my experience at the restroom. Secondly the inside temperature of the restaurant is too low, we were really cold.

Katoomba, Australia
“Elements do not add up!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

By writing this review I would not want to take away from the quality and technique applied to the food presented but I feel a good night out encompasses more elements and this is where Sepia let me down. We were a family of four and on looking at the menu on line beforehand we chose the Degustation Menu with matched wines. To start with when we entered the restaurant and were shown to a table we thought we were still in the bar area. It was a small area with no real atmosphere and there were no tableclothes on the tables. In fact the tables were not dressed at all. As has been said previously the toilets were a bit of a walk up behind the kitchen ad into another building, part of a deserted (at night) food court. The service was not quick or attentive. A couple of the waiters English was very hard to understand when they were describing the dish they were serving so I had to keep asking them to repeat themselves. Our Sommelier was however great and took the time to explain the wines he was serving and to answer our questions. We had wines from the four corners of the world which meant that there was only one wine served that we had tried before. Now to the food. There were courses that showcased this chefs obvious talent but there were a couple that were ordinary. The cheese dish (which was an extra and did not come as a part of the degustation menu) was very cold, so much so that you could not taste it. I think if you are going to charge $160 a person then include whatever dishes you serve in the price. I thought it was tacky to be asking people if they would like oysters to start or a cheese dish and then say that it came at an extra cost! Which now leads me to the price. For over $265 a person, plus 'extras' you would expect to be 'wowed' which we were not. The whole experience is made up of many parts and in my mind only the food came near to the three hat standard awarded. The atmosphere, position, service and value all fell short. To put it bluntly - not worth the money. I will not return.

2 Thank Raine1960
Sydney, Australia
“One hat too many”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I sometimes wonder what the qualifications etc are for the restaurant reviewers who contribute to the various food guides.
I have been to Sepia 3 or 4 times in the past and thought it deserved the highest rating.Until yesterday my last visit to Sepia was about a year ago.
Yesterday I had dinner with 3 friends.
The night started off quite well at the bar,good service,excellent cocktails/drinks etc.
When we went to our table,looked at menu etc we decided to order A la carte as one of our group didn't eat seafood .On the Degustation menu seafood holds sway.Also on the 4 course menu,with choices half were seafood.
We ordered food and wine.The wine came promptly as did the 'amuse bouche'.
An hour and a quarter later the entree arrived.By this time we had finished a bottle of wine.
At this time I should comment on prices.I have visited many restaurant both in Australia and abroad, I don't mind paying at the top range when the food,service deserve it.
Yesterday Sepia fell short.
As an example re price, my entree was two small pieces of sashimi tuna,price $39.
The main courses were obviously larger ,they were all $54.Small side dishes were $14 each.The main courses were okay but nowhere near stunning which you expect from a '3 Hat' restaurant.
To be totally fair,I'll give this restaurant another 6 months before I visit it again.

1 Thank grahame l
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
“Paradise for this food and wine lover.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have eaten all over the world and would rank my long Saturday lunch here as one of the top gastronomic experiences anywhere. The food was quite simply breathtaking and inspiring. The service was sensational and the wine list was superb. As a couple I loved the long list of half bottles of high quality on the list meaning that we could try very good wines to match the food; there were some interesting wines for me so I could try something different. The chef was there as we saw him after service and it doesn't half show. The ambience was balanced between upbeat yet intimate and I cannot wait to go back. The handling of seafood in particular was gifted.