“Mmmmmmmm delicious”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed September 1, 2011

A lovely experience, could not fault the food we had the set menu and between the two of us tasted everything, the service was professional,spot on and not at all patronizing( like some wait staff can be) add a good wine and it was a special night. Thank you

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Meeting with an important client over lunch. We were directed to a comfortable large table in a fairly scheduled area as needed space to spread papers and discuss. Service was as it should be, not hovering around but always appearing when we needed to be served.
Some of the best sirloin I have had anywhere. done as I requested.
Mainly seafood on the menu so did not have the 8 course degusstation , nor the 4 course winter menu.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Just had lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday at Sepia. We arrived right on midday and it wasn't long before the dark, clubby minimalist room was filled with suits. With no view to be had, the diner is made to focus on the food. We chose to dine on the Winter Set Menu with four courses at $110 per head. For our first course, we had the bonito (that tasted mildly and deliciously smoked) and the blackened scallop rolled in nori powder served in what looked like a delicate garden planted in avocado cream. For our second course, my friend had the tartare of yellowfin tuna and I chose the spanner crab and buckwheat risotto. I found saltiness of the risotto overpowered the dish without allowing any sweetness of the crab to come through. Plating up the risotto under a foam of shellfish essence was also a little passé and I tend to agree with AA Gill on foams. I much preferred my friend's tuna that had a clean, light taste. For our third course, we both enjoyed the beef tenderloin that was tenderly cooked to rare for me. For our last course, we couldn’t resist the Chocolate Forest that consisted of a quenelle of berry sorbet on a floor of chocolate soil and twigs. It was a spectacular dessert.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

My group had an awful experience ever at Sepia from the beginning to the end.
From the start, the staff was uninterested in serving us and most of the time showed being impatient and somewhat snappish to our questions or requests. When asked for recommendation, a standard answer of "everything is delicious" was given. We expected some kind of elaboration of the dishes, but none was given. Then, drinks were served wrongly to our table by the owner of the restaurant. Subsequently, they had the most awful way of serving birthday cake. The waitress brought out the cake with candles lighted, first to the wrong person and then, instead of setting it down on the table, she held it out on her hand and said, "Blow it and I will bring it back to the kitchen to cut it". No other word best described the reaction of our group than stunned.
And then came the bill, we were charged $60 (more expensive than any of the item on the menu) for cutting the cake as it was not bought from Sepia. Being new to the "fine dining" scene in Sydney, we enquired the staff on this matter. Staff subsequently informed the owner of the matter and the owner came to our table rattling on and on about this being a common practice in fine dining restaurant and she has many years of experience in this industry, not giving any chance for us to explain ourselves. All we wanted to put across to Sepia was, it will be nice to inform us beforehand when we brought the cake in. She waived the charge eventually and got the chef to came out and "talk" to us. At the first instance he said, "If you guys are going to come in and order a couple of main course, how do you expect me to run a business? You are paying for the seat in this restaurant. You are never welcomed in my restaurant ever again." Our group felt that the overall tone was condescending. It was utterly disappointing.
We didn't expect that we will get such treatment just because we ordered only mains. After all, we are still paying customers. As I mentioned earlier, we are new to the dining scene in Sydney having just started living here for merely a month. So far, our experiences had shown that food serving here is much larger than our capacity. Applying the same expectation, we ordered just mains. It was a mid-week dinner with no over flowing dinner crowd and it was not even a full house. We understand that it is ultimately a business for profit. Suggestion to Sepia: remove the a la carte menu to avoid customers ordering just entree, main, or dessert, or whatever they like. Have only set menus.
Food served was acceptable. It was not mind-blowing and honestly, I've had better in London's Michelin Star restaurant for half the price. Ambience and decor are good. Location is nothing impressive. It lacks the harbour view, or to put it, view of any kind. It is located at business area, which goes really quiet after working hours.
Restaurant is a service industry. Customers are looking for a wholesome experience, not just food or just service. It takes both to make it works. A sincere passion for serving food is really what makes the difference. We are not giving up on the fine dining scene in Sydney and hope to find better experiences.

8  Thank imt84
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I was really looking forward to this - it is meant to be Australia's next great restaurant to join the World's Top 100 ranking and it was the only one missing from my "bucket list" in Sydney.
I'd also just been to an amzing networking event - met and listened to Paul Cave who developed Sydney's major tourist activity; the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb.
He was absolutely inspiring as he described his ideas and what it took to bring them to fruition - some 9 years in planning and developing the activity and the result and success is incredible.
So I was on a high and looking for a similar experience at Sepia but the difference was marked.
The first course was perhaps a trbute to overseas icons of molecular chemistry - a risotto of buckwheat and spanner crab and foam - lots of flavour and quite complex.
They gave the right advice and said "mix it all up"
So it was a good start.
The next course was a letdown - a pork and marron dish which looked a bit on the light side on the plate so we ordered a side of Kippler potatoes to fill the gap.
The plate then looked more like a bowl of potatoes with a couple of small pieces of pork thrown in - problem was the potatoes were a simple boiled potato dish and you do expect a little more in a restaurant of this calibre.
Sepia failed the dessert test and unfortunately, my wife and I each had a side-bet and said "what's the odds of being offered a fruit saled and sorbet.
With my wife's allergies of wheat and dairy, she feels resolved to never being offered an alternative to fruit saled and sorbet in Australia.
I was silly enough to mention a couple of examples we had been offered on our recent trip to Europe and the waitress replied "well, good for you"
Overall, the restaurant is good, service is good / adequate but the missing ingredient is passion.
Irrespective of what business you are in, the customers expectation is that you are good - they want more and I am part of that consumer mentality - I am looking for passion and an experience.
Having listened to an hour of passion re the Harbour Bridge Climb, the difference was so marked.
The room itself is not inspiring - it actually felt more like a hotel lobby.
I also had a problem with the wine list - I don't always want to pay more for the wine than the food and it was difficult to find many local wines at a reasonable price.
In Europe, I found many of the world's top 50 restaurants had a far more reasonable wine list with value - at Osteria Francescana, the Sommelier offered an excellent local wine for only 40 Euros - there was nothing at Sepia to compare.

4  Thank RonWamberal