“City Hostel or City Hotel??”
Review of City Lodge

City Lodge
Ranked #48 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 3, 2010

The 1st impression that greeted me to this 'hostel' was the stairs.I was put up in 4th floor and carrying my luggages was HELL.Not only this,but you get free exercise everytime you come back after a tiring day outside.

The staffs ( China immigrants) were useless and not friendly at all except for one which is the Assistant Manager (named Crystal) Their reception is not 24 hours and mostly closes at 10pm at night.There were no signs of how you could go out at night after 10pm using the stupid push out door.On one occasion, we had to catch a bus to Canberra at 6am and a night before, we communicated with the staffs in regards to going out.Being fluent in English, they could not comprehend simple English which led me to assume that there was a button to push and unlock before you exit.I got this wrong and we had to call their emergency contact ( which is their own staff room,right in front of their reception)

The receptionist unwillingly opened the door and instructed us what to do,Hell we were almost late for the bus as she did not co-operate with us.I had to give a stern comment to her until she willingly got out of her room and open the door for us.Well, lesson learnt, the door actually isnt locked, you just have to push it 'hard' to open.Weird isnt it? Why cant they just tell us or put up a damn notice on the panel to inform guests how to open the door after 10pm?

On the cleaniness, yes it was clean for the 1st night and upon entering the room for the 1st time.The 2nd night onwards ( we stayed for a total of 4 nights) the bathroom wasnt cleaned properly and soaps were so so expensive in this hotel that they only provided us a piece of soap for 5 days!

I wouldnt say that their staffs are friendly as they literally MYOB (Mind your own business) I am pretty sure I am able to get a better hotel and stay in Sydney for my next visit here :)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank KaKen_83

Reviewed August 18, 2010

Ask what floor you will be on as the top floor is up three flights of very steep stairs - more like the old terrace houses - and there is no lift - if you have lots of bags bring a defibrulator

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank roller52
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Room was good, the location excellend. No lift so 30 kgs luggage up stairs. The iisue was my room was next to the shared kitchen. All night there were people cooking and washing up. No sleep at all!. This part of the hotel is more like a hostel. Make sure you ask for a room away from the kitchen.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Usually on business I stay at 4 or 5 star properties. This time it was me paying, so I chose a low price option. For AUD$85 per night I was not expecting much, but was happily surprised with a higher quality product.
The front desk is not 24 hour - but the clerk called me a couple of hours before closing to be sure I was checking in. She waited back a few minutes when I ended up running a bit late. Good service.
A quite new room. It's small, but big enough for one guest. Bed was fine, internet (free) worked, and with a really good bathroom. Big shower, good quality shampoo etc provided.
I didn't use the guest lounge and common kitchen facilities - but they looked fine.
Yes, I was on the 3rd floor, without an elevator - but I'm fit, and only going up and down a couple of times a day is no problem.
I'll happily stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Cowombat2
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Stayed for 8 days on two different levels had a view of Australia square. Room was clean kettle not in wardrobe but on desk, tv was fine got 4 perfect stations Very close to everthing including all public transport. Staff very helpful taxi in cost $40 late at night shuttle bus cost $14 back to airport no problem. Bathrooms large and clean Kitchen was tidy and I used washing machine and dryer there was never a problem there. I am a female so carried my suitcases up stairs but I knew there was no lift where would they fit it anyway. Paid $80 per night asked for a long stay discount and received it before I arrived. I had a very happy stay there

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank TasmaniaLovesydney
Reviewed December 27, 2009

There were two good things about this hotel. The position, and the fact that it was clean. We were booked on the fourth floor, just came in on an international flight and had to carry about 30 kg each up 72 steps. The beds were EXTREMELY firm... like the floor. The laundry was used for the hotel linen so it was a feat getting to the small washing machine, and the dryer. If you only need a place to sleep close to great attractions and you are single or a couple, and very fit (to carry luggage up).. then this place is for you. If you want somewhere to relax and have a comfortable nights' sleep with children and want to linger longer at your hotel.. go somewhere else!!! A taxi ride from the airport is about $50.00..

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family