“Good value for money but no a restfull.”
Review of City Lodge

City Lodge
Ranked #43 of 59 Sydney B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Good value for money but no a restfull.”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Room was good, the location excellend. No lift so 30 kgs luggage up stairs. The iisue was my room was next to the shared kitchen. All night there were people cooking and washing up. No sleep at all!. This part of the hotel is more like a hostel. Make sure you ask for a room away from the kitchen.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Usually on business I stay at 4 or 5 star properties. This time it was me paying, so I chose a low price option. For AUD$85 per night I was not expecting much, but was happily surprised with a higher quality product.
The front desk is not 24 hour - but the clerk called me a couple of hours before closing to be sure I was checking in. She waited back a few minutes when I ended up running a bit late. Good service.
A quite new room. It's small, but big enough for one guest. Bed was fine, internet (free) worked, and with a really good bathroom. Big shower, good quality shampoo etc provided.
I didn't use the guest lounge and common kitchen facilities - but they looked fine.
Yes, I was on the 3rd floor, without an elevator - but I'm fit, and only going up and down a couple of times a day is no problem.
I'll happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Cowombat2
tasmania
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Stayed for 8 days on two different levels had a view of Australia square. Room was clean kettle not in wardrobe but on desk, tv was fine got 4 perfect stations Very close to everthing including all public transport. Staff very helpful taxi in cost $40 late at night shuttle bus cost $14 back to airport no problem. Bathrooms large and clean Kitchen was tidy and I used washing machine and dryer there was never a problem there. I am a female so carried my suitcases up stairs but I knew there was no lift where would they fit it anyway. Paid $80 per night asked for a long stay discount and received it before I arrived. I had a very happy stay there

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank TasmaniaLovesydney
Brisbane
Reviewed December 27, 2009

There were two good things about this hotel. The position, and the fact that it was clean. We were booked on the fourth floor, just came in on an international flight and had to carry about 30 kg each up 72 steps. The beds were EXTREMELY firm... like the floor. The laundry was used for the hotel linen so it was a feat getting to the small washing machine, and the dryer. If you only need a place to sleep close to great attractions and you are single or a couple, and very fit (to carry luggage up).. then this place is for you. If you want somewhere to relax and have a comfortable nights' sleep with children and want to linger longer at your hotel.. go somewhere else!!! A taxi ride from the airport is about $50.00..

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Indiana
Reviewed December 14, 2009

My room was extremely cramped. The bed filled almost all available space. To get past the bed to the little desk, you had to turn sideways and scoot along with your back against the wall.

My room was also stuffy for the first day (I stayed three) and the windows wouldn't open. My repeated requests for the receptionist to turn on the air conditioning had little effect, because she would lower the temperature one degree and not turn on the central fan that actually delivered the air. As a result, even standing on the bed and reaching my hand into the vent in the ceiling, I could barely feel any air coming out. After I explicitly requested her to turn on the fan, things improved, and the next receptionist kept the ventilation going at a decent rate.

If you need to be right in the CBD, the location is good. I stayed there for an event at the Menzies and the walk took only 4 minutes. My bathroom was nice, though with a touch of mold. The TV reception was very poor, and the screen was mounted flat on the wall so high up that it was dark when viewed from the bed, which is the only place you could have viewed it. The kitchen showed wear and tear from many users and wasn't very clean. The promised internet didn't work--the wireless timed out every time I tried to log in, and when I connected with a cable, the connection died within half an hour and never recovered.

I kept the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door the whole time because I needed to pop in at odd times to work. As a result, my room was never cleaned, which was fine with me. Ironically, when I checked out, the receptionist said that the cleaners reported that I had drunk one of the drinks in the refrigerator and therefore had to pay. I pointed out my room had never been cleaned, and I offered to show the receptionist the full refrigerator to prove I didn't have a drink. She declined, but then dug around in paperwork and pulled out a sheet that said I had taken a drink and then told me again that I needed to pay for it. We went around in circles like this for awhile.

The price is good considering the location, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you can specify a decent-sized room and you avoid hot times of year.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business