“AWFUL PLACE”

Ranked #42 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“AWFUL PLACE”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

For the price we paid, it's definitely not worth it. We stayed in room 305 and it smelled really awful (gunky smell). We could hardly sleep because of the smell. I was wondering where the gunky smell was coming from and found lots of mould underneath the bed, carpet most especially underneath the headboard. I am not exaggerating. I took pictures to prove it. I went down to the lobby and asked them to clean it, but played on deaf ears. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE. The lady at the front desk really had an attitude as if we owe it to them for staying at this Hotel. We asked for directions to Paddy's Market and you can tell by her expression how unwilling she was. She was very unhelpful. She was more interested in her iPhone.

There was a lady by the name of Hisoka who was very polite and helpful and always smiling. She even recommended where to go and what to see. I really commend her. We were really disappointed staying at this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank garbil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Three of my mates and I made the horrible mistake of staying in this absolutely disgusting excuse for a hotel.
The room was a "family room", small, smelly, dirty and just plain horrible!
The beds felt like concrete.
I had a shocking nights sleep due to being attacked by what I can only imagine were some sort of bed bugs and am now covered in itchy bites, as is my mate who actually had to remove one from under the skin of his thigh!
The in room facilities were a disgrace, coffee tray and mugs were dirty and scroungy, the fridge was full of uncleaned stains, the floor had dirty marks all over it.

Do not stay at this place they should be inspected, reported and shut down.
Depressing is a word that comes to mind upon entry to City Lodge and I left the place feeling dirty, itchy and very unhappy indeed!!!!

Room Tip: Do not choose any room here, trust me!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ash S

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Forster, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

As a resort manager I had high expectations from what the website had displayed. We had booked this hotel for my friends birthday.. we where shocked when we arrived. The receptionist was rude, no uniform and seemed more interested in her iPhone. We had booked the family room which was meant to be there "best room".... I honestly can't imagine what the other standard rooms where like if the room I booked was the best. You could barely move around, the walls where putrid, carpet looked 20 years old, our view was a wall, 1 window in the whole two rooms, and a bathroom that locked you in if you closed the door. How they have a star rating is beyond me, the place should be shut down.

I would never recommend this to anyone, and we will never stay again.

Room Tip: There was no fitness centre or pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bianca H
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ugly, depressing room.
Terrible bed, terrible :(
Unpleasant smell.
Stained, dirty carpet.
Tacky drapes
Pubic-like hair in shower. Ew!
Christmas decoration in June (!)
Semi-naked people in communal areas.
Rude, unpolite staff at the reception.

Excellent location.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Melb7510
Delfgauw
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Arrived after 11 PM after a 24 hour flight, reception closed. Found key in envelope, entered my room and was shocked: small, dirty, absolutely NOT as in the pictures. In addition, it is unsafe (open cabinets with fuses; a guy in underwear in the living (I am woman traveling alone), I went out again and found another hotel room, after roaming the streets between 12 and 1 AM, in a fully booked Sydney. Went back the next day to cancel the reservation, only to run into a very moody receptionist. I had to tell them myself that I was entitled to a refund of the last night as that was more than 72 hours away (another stupid rule, this 72 hour cancellation: every self respecting hotel has a 24 hour cancellation time). To make long story short: NEVER EVER book this hotel!!!!

Room Tip: "Never ever book this hotel"
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PaulienHerder
london
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have stayed in all kinds of accommodation around the globe, and would be happy enough to stay at a place like City Lodge if the cost reflected the condition... this hotel should be charging $15 a night!

We paid $150AUD for a superior room which is supposed to be better and bigger than a standard room. This is what we arrived to:

- Small box room with a bed in it.
- Grubby marked walls from people having to shuffle around the room.
- All the drawer handles missing
- Door Security Latch ripped off
- Bathroom Door that locks you in
- Bathroom with mold on tiles and ceiling
- A single window that slides open and falls out,.
- The window overlooks a fire escape where a rickety ladder leads to a higher roof but it is used as a smoking area.
- No curtain for the window, so hello there smokers.
- The top of the window has sticky tape where numerous people have tried to create some privacy.
- TV can only pick up one clear channel.
- Crap condition wooden stairs and hallway creaks and echos with people struggling to drag suitcases about.

The service:
The reception did not care AT ALL about any of these issues. In the end they sent a room cleaning lady who could not speak any English to try and sellotape a piece of fabric up to the window (fell off during the night). Putting up a curtain is not hard yet it was clear from the state of the wall around the window that this has been an ongoing issue, and knowing this they a) cannot be bothered to fix it and b) think it is OK to charge a superior rate!

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS! I was stupid to pay on arrival. When I suggested standard room rates in light of all the issues with the room I was told it could not be done. Apparently it was not technically possible to give me a refund... honestly I could have gone blue in the face but I was on a short holiday and I frankly it would have got me no where, such was the level of indifference shown by the lady at reception.

Best quotes from the receptionist:

'I cannot refund on machine and I have no money here to give you..... you cant have my money'!

I was told the only person with authority would be in next week... so there was no one there to solve anything.. the lady didn't even understand that she was a representative of City Lodge.

I have never encountered such a terribly run outfit as this in all my travels in Australia. Shameful.

Thankfully we only had to endure one night!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chittybangbang
Singapore
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Good location but really bad rooms. My duvet cover had a brown stain on it and the room was small and stinky. We got the infamous 'Room 204' and the street noise wasn't bad. Bathroom was clean but rest of room wasn't. It's in City Center and that's why it's pricey. Look elsewhere

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business