“Perfect for the economical traveler!”
Review of City Lodge

City Lodge
Ranked #47 of 60 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed here because of its excellent location near the trains and downtown shopping.
I was able to easily get myself there, on my own, from the airport.
I then bought a weekly pass that gave me rides on the trains, buses, and even ferries.
This hotel was close to all connections.
My first challenge was to find it...it has an unobtrusive entrance right on the street.
When you find the door, you will look up a long narrow staircase.
At the top is the front desk and a family style kitchen and lounge area.
There is NO ELEVATOR but the staff is very helpful with luggage.
I would use it again, especially when travel funds are more limited.
The rooms are clean and have TV and internet.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank frequentraveler91

Reviewed March 17, 2012

The price is in US$ not Australian that was a shock.
The picture of the room was taken with a wide angle, it was so small demanded a change of room refused, demanded money back they stated they would charge for 3 nights.
Air con is switched off so they save money,
Ended up buying a fan.
Never ever again

Room Tip: Go to another hotel do not pay in advance
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The hotel is in a grear location really handy for everything . It was clean and was a good price . I was put off when i read the reviews but im glad i gave it a shot . I would defo stay there again . I think we were lucky with our room being right next to the reception so only one big flight of stairs for us . I do agree older people may struggle with the stairs they are steep .The bed was very comfortable and we had air con so it was nice and cool . We had tea making faclitys,slippers ,shower gel ,shampoo etc aswell as a mini bar with 2 cans of soda and 2 beers. Beers were 4 dollors and soda 2 dollors . All in all was well worth the money !

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel based on the pictures of the rooms, and the fact that agoda.com had a price reduction from $390 to $165 for a premium double room.
Upon arrival we had to climb two flights of steep stairs with heavy luggage. This was not mentioned anywhere on the website. The room was smelly and stinking of old deodorant. Paint was peeling off the walls. There was hardly space to turn yourslef around in. Th ebed was hard as a rock. A complete rip-off. We got charged $180 on the credit card and left, to book a 5 star room in the Sheraton for $199 that same night. I wish I had read teh reviews on the web before booking this hotel. Staff was rude as well and absolutely not helpful. NB the free WiFi only works in the communal kitchen. Their advertising is deceitful, to say the least.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We booked a premium double for one night (thank heavens) and paid $190.00. Wish I had read the reviews before booking it. Both my husband and I have leg difficulties and there was no description on their webpage of the 3 flights of stairs we had to trapse up with no lift available. This is appalling for OS travellers with heavy bags to lug up.
When we got to the room we found it to be a long box with a an ensuit at the end of ot. We were warned to kleep the glass door closed while showering or it would set off the fire alarm. In this ensuit there was a sign warning us that if the alarm was set off we would be up for a $750 fine. Not sure that's legal!!
The premium double bed was 2 singles pushed together with absolutely no spring left in them. In fact the centre was a hard ridge that sat higher than the rest og the bed.
To access the bathroom you had to duck under the tv screen mounted on the wall so you didnt hit your head and Im only 5 foot 4 inches. That tells you how much space there was in the room. Again, as otheres have noted, the bar fridge was in the wardrobe and the jug was on the other side of the room.
The tv only received 4 channels and there was NO foxtell.
The window looked onto a brick wall that you could touch and the blind was nailed down so you couldnt open it. The airconditioning was lousy.
It was reasonably clean except for the mould on the grout in th shower cubicle. This only appeared on a few tiles but demonstrates a poor attitude.
I have stayed in many hotles in the city for this kind of price and never before had such appalling value for money.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Living Conditions: Comfortable bed and nicely maintained showers. TV was decent with only a few channels. Fridge had stocked drinks, but they said they would charge for it. Minor stain on the bed, FREE Wi-fi was nice, but keep in mind it is really slow and often disconnects. Stairs and no lift--so book this only if you're fit, or you won't be able to handle it. No brochures or real helpful staff regarding places to go, so visit the visitor centre at the Rocks for all your activities.

Location: 10-15 minutes Walking distance to Sydney Opera House, Circular Quay, and The Rocks 5 Minutes and easy to find from Wynyard Train Station, also has Woolworths and decent shopping Free City Shuttle Bus nearby on George St. that will take you down to Central Station (from there you can train it Bondi)

Kitchen: Stocked with pots, cutlery, and glasses. Microwave available. Saved on dinner as we bought from Woolie's and had pasta to last us three days. Nice little bottleshop across the street to grab a bottle of Sparkling to top off a night after watching a theatre performance at the Opera House.

Overall this is the best for value and location. The room was comfortable enough, we always woke up feeling refreshed. We benefitted a lot as far as being so close and easy with transportation, and also with making our own food in the kitchen.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors 4th, are difficult and tiring to get to. MUST BE FIT!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights from the 14th of Oct till the 19th of Oct .I stayed here to attend my brothers wedding at Dawes Pt near the Harbour Bridge.
I paid $674.00 for the six nights I was staying here and it was a lot cheaper than what the other upmarket hotels charged.First the positives ,it is centrally located and everything around Sydney is within walking distance ( Pitt St mall,Martin Place,Circular Quay,The Rocks) etc there is plenty of pubs and scenic things to do around Sydney.
Now the negatives ,my single room was tiny I had to pivit sideways to get around the bed,there is about 30-40cm of space between the bed and the main wardrobe.The TV is mounted high up on the wall and when you are laying down on some shows you see dark shadows.There is limited reception you only get nine,GO and GEM chanels you cant get the chanel 7 chanels.There is no FOXTEL as was advertised in the brochure.The room temperature was warm I had to keep opening the street window for cool fresh air.There is no elevator in the building and a lot of stairs if you are on the top floor like I was.I stayed in room 401 so avoid this one if you are allocated it.
These are the positives and negatives if you plan to stay here.

Room Tip: Check the room first.Dont stay in 401 this room should be a storage cupboard.Avoid the top floor it...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family