Review Highlights
Ho hum

Didnt wow me. Second half definetly better than the first half. Not my choice to go but was invited... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
shaarkbite
Perth, Australia
via mobile
Disgraceful

Reviewed August 13, 2019
Hannah R

Recommended experiences in and around Sydney
from $157.01
from $29.31
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,875 Reviews
from $121.42
from $34.19
More Info
All reviews lyric theatre opening song story line hilarious cast choreography script irreverent funniest performance stalls
Selected filters
Reviewed September 8, 2019

My only regret is that I didn't walk out in the first 5 minutes. Warning this "musical" contains jokes about cancer, aids, baby rape, poverty and more. I'm concerned that anybody could find this show enjoyable or in any way funny. It is clearly only successful due to a huge marketing and PR budget. Just don't go.

4  Thank Becky C
Reviewed September 6, 2019

I went thinking I would be in tears and I watch South Park ALOT and find that humour hilarious, however this one just didn't hit the spot. The jokes were rude and disrespectful BUT they were lame and I had no idea why people were laughing - I guess those jokes aren't your normal jokes so guest found them hilarious. I would go if you are into musical as I thought this would be more comedy then the musical bit but I was wrong. I left half way through when it was intermission as I just could not waste another minute of my life.

3  Thank Daniella C
Reviewed September 1, 2019

For those who are still struggling to understand the magnitude of racism brandished under the guise of sardonic humour, the Book of Mormon is thinly-veiled as a satirical musical when it is in fact a profoundly racist modern day black face minstrel show not dissimilar to those of the early 19th century.

The musical perpetuates racial stereotypes of perceived inferiority from a white point of view and ignores the complexities and root causes of the many problems, including female genital mutilation, AIDS, rape and rituals continuing to plague certain African countries more than others.

For those who will say “ it’s just a joke” or feel as a result of my calling this incredibly racist musical out for being exactly what it is as “taking the moral high road”, I suspect you would also be one of those who struggles to comprehend why black face is so inherently racist and dehumanising.

Well, I have news for you, you are probably never going to get it.

The only positive note: The talented performers.

6  Thank Natalia A
Reviewed August 13, 2019

This show was disgraceful, and crosses lines that just should not be crossed... rape, child abuse... I felt ashamed being in the audience. I have previously enjoyed South Park, Team America, Family Guy etc., but this was too much for me. In good conscience I can not recommend the Book of Mormon to anyone.

Date of experience: September 2018
4  Thank Hannah R
Reviewed July 26, 2019 via mobile

I do wish i had done my research better. Whilst there wwre funny bits this show was vulgar and the people involved should be ashamed. I have faith but religion aside some topics were so disgusting to laugh off i was wondering who the demographic audience is suppose to be. Im disappointed i forked out for good tickets. I would rather watch Aladdin 10 times than this once. There were glimmers of normality but after realising who wrote this it all makes sense
Cannot believe this is where musicals.are at! Wouldn't recommend anyone with morals of any sort attend but if you do, be prepared!!!

Date of experience: July 2019