“Tiny serves, cold venue”

Alibi Woolloomooloo
Reserve a Table
Ranked #367 of 7,515 Restaurants in Sydney
Description: When the heat is on, we’ve got you, because our place is your place. Welcome to the perfect hideout, welcome to Alibi. Alibi is a design-­led destination cocktail bar with a unique informal lounge setting, serving all the excuses you need to run away and indulge. Think incredible drinks, delicious food and exceptional service. Escape to the picturesque surrounds of Woolloomooloo Wharf, where you’ll find us nestled harbourside ­ the perfect alibi.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This restaurant is inside a large old wharf - the only roof is the roof of the wharf, 3 stories above. It was a usual winter's night in Sydney (about 16C), but the restaurant would have also been that temperature. We did not take off our layers once sitting inside, and we never warmed up, eventhough there were heaters perched way above us. No blankets provided. I don't like chilli, so was told that there were 3 things on the menu available - so we ordered all 3 (plus a dessert later). The first main course arrived (where was the other one?) and it was cold. It could have been warm, and it was disappointing to receive cold food when we were so cold ourselves. The second main course arrived, and it was warm, as was the side (served at the same time). The food was excellent but the serves were tiny. After the first main course, we discussed where we would go for dinner as there was so little food offered (I am vegetarian so I am used to plant based meals). After our dessert, there were no staff in sight to request our bill, so we decided we would start to walk out (it was too cold to stay), which meant we were attended to. If the place had been warmer, offered blankets, and provided larger servings, I would have given it 5/5 as the food was excellent.

Date of visit: June 2019
David_Sude, General Manager at Alibi Woolloomooloo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Alpaca35,
Thank you so much for taking the time in giving us your feedback. Guests feedback are always constructive and the only way to improve our business.
I am very saddened to read about your experience at Alibi Restaurant. We strive to deliver the best food and service experience and this is not what we like to hear.
Next time, please do not hesitate to give us your feedback during your stay so we can address it straight away.
All your points will be addressed with the relevant department.
Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

A stunning bar and lounge area very funky with loads of room
The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful
A lovely way to spend pre dinner drinks

Date of visit: June 2019

Hi D8423LPdeborahc, Thank you so much for taking the time in giving us your feedback.
Really means a lot for us.
Hopefully we will see you again soon for some predinner drinks.

Reviewed June 11, 2019

We found Alibi online when researching vegan food options before our trip and booked for the high tea. Before we were seated we were impressed by the funky fit out that doesn't sacrifice comfort for maximising seat numbers and don't miss the amazing 'art piece' digital clock at the entrance.

Our comfy and homely seating was terrific and the food was perfect. It was so inventive and delicious and just a joy. The high tea comes with a glass of alcohol. When I let the staff know I didn't 'drink' the bar tender instead made me a mocktail to my rough specification that was delicious.

Finally, the music was sublime - a Spotify playlist of 70s and 80s funky dance and pop that brought back a million memories and seemed to be perfectly judged in volume for the space. I think it might be loud and echoey at night but for a weekday lunch, the venue was brilliant.

If we lived in Sydney, we'd be regulars. Superb. When is Melbourne going to catch up?

Date of visit: June 2019

Bckpckrah ( hope I got that right, lol )
So glad you have a lovely time for your High Tea.
I remember Liam trying to come up with a tasty / vegan mocktail for you. And let me tell you, I tried it too and it was delicious !!!
Thank you so much for coming to Alibi.

Have a good weekend.

Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

Ignore the bad reviews, although there aren’t many at all, I just want to address the issues they had and highlight that they aren’t valid. One is a radical vegan insisting the staff themselves need to be vegan so she gave a low rating. How funny, the staff are there to do their job of waiting and serving, their job is not to be vegan lol! Another review say some staff were arrogant, we didn’t experience this at all everyone was lovely so I think the reviewer must have been difficult customer.

Anyway, Alibi is a classy chilled out space with amazing deep, funky house tunes which is definitely not too loud as one reviewer stated. The food was just insane, I tried the Zucchini and tomato lasagne, kimchi dumplings, the carrot pizza, and the plant bowl all of which were absolutely gorgeous with so much flavour (I’ve simplified the names as I can’t remember the full ones). My favourite were the dumplings (I don’t like kimchi usually but this was so different and had amazing flavour so don’t count it out if you’re the same). One piece of constructive feedback I could give is that the ‘sharing platters’ are not big enough to feed even 1 person so I think they should be labelled snacks or light meals! It’s not really an issue as the dishes are fairly priced with their taste and presentation considered so you can order lots and try different things as I did. I also tried all of the desserts sharing with friends, our favourite was the apple tart one! Tasted amazzzing.

Thank you Alibi team!

Hi DanielleShaw1 !!!
What a great review you gave us lol .. This is what we love to read !!!
Thank you so much for coming to Alibi and we really hope to see you again soon.
We have changed the menu two weeks ago and it's so good, we would love to have you back and try it.

Have a lovely weekend.

Reviewed May 4, 2019

Great service, amazing food. We had dinner on a Friday night and this would have to rate as the best vegan meal we have had anywhere. Thanks Alibi, back soon.

Date of visit: May 2019
David_Sude, General Manager at Alibi Woolloomooloo, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2019

Hi Robert M,
can not wait to have you back here with us.
Make sure you also check out our Vegan High Tea.. it's to die for !!!
Have a good day !!!