This property is ideal for a family/group looking for a base for a sightseeing trip to Sydney. It is EXTREMELY handy to the Central Train Station and nearby buses. There is a small supermarket nearby and a number of places to eat and drink.
The advertisement and photos give a very accurate indication of the quality of the accommodation. It is an old terrace house with the bathroom and kitchen "updated" in (I'm guessing) the 1980s. It isn't luxury, but it has got a lot of character. It certainly has its quirks, but the owner does a good job of providing the necessary information about those quirks. I had no problem with communication with the owner. I appreciated the fact that the downstairs couch had already been made up as a bed (as I had indicated that we would be using it as such). It has good wifi.
On the downside, future guests should consider the following.
* The staircase is treacherous with no light. We ended up dimming the dining room light and leaving it on all night. I wouldn't recommend this place for the elderly or young children.
* We found this place quite noisy, including the music school opposite (drums) and deliveries to the supermarket on the corner (from 5am).
* We didn't attempt to cook (it was a holiday after all). Bench space in the kitchen is limited and we were intimidated by the warning that the smoke alarm could summon the fire service resulting in a large fee. Maybe that's why there was no toaster. I was disappointed by the lack of toaster.
* There was no lock box for the keys so we had to arrange to be met on arrival by the owner's friend Gus, so some people may find this inconvenient. Having said that, Gus was a lovely guy and quite obliging.
* Fortunately we didn't generate much rubbish as the outside bins were already mostly full from previous guests and/or neighbours and/or anyone walking along the street.
Unless any of the above issues are a deal breaker for you then I would encourage you to rent this place, get an Opal card (to pay for trains/buses/ferries) and use this place as a base for seeing the city.