“Fast food done right ”

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Woolloomooloo
Ranked #13 of 478 Quick Bites in Sydney
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Harry’s Café de Wheels has proudly served customers for over 80 years, with the likes of Frank Sinatra, Sir Elton John and Prince Harry having been some of the many to sink their teeth into our iconic ‘Tiger’ Pie
Reviewed December 15, 2018 via mobile

We were staying at the Ovolo Woolloomooloo, which I highly recommend.
This is just a few steps away. Very tasty! Surprised by the portable restaurant that has been there for years! Check out all the celebrity pics who have eaten there!

Date of visit: December 2018
HarrysCafeDeWheels, Owner at Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Woolloomooloo, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2019

Thanks!

Write a reviewReviews (1,031)

Reviewed December 13, 2018 via mobile

Worth a visit as it's a culinary hotspot. Many celebrities on it's wall. Australians don't have a national dish so this is as close as it gets so I suppose that's why it is a must try.

The tiger is just a pie of your choice with mash, mushy peas and gravy. Nothing to shout about. The pie didn't have much filling so it was average.

The pie, mushy peas and mash were all cold being warmed by the gravy, hence the reason why it was an average meal.

The saving grace of the meal were the chips were very good as made to order. I found the Australians did chips/fries very well in general.

The counter staff didn't understand my order although I thought I had been clear. I speak perfect English so it wasn't me, then they gave me a death stare as if it was my fault.

The eateries is a fast food van with a few seats located outside overlooking the harbour. Cheap eats in Sydney so it's good if you're on a budget.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 5, 2018 via mobile

Had a late lunch at Harry’s with their awesome variety of pies. We had the tiger beef pie, the mash was great with the tasty hot pie filling and crispy crust. The best part was having it on benches overlooking the waters and naval ships, in the cool fall weather.
Bonus for the kids was being able to feed the birds with bits of pie crust and chips. Harry’s still maintains its no frills rustic charm after all these years.

Date of visit: October 2018
2  Thank duology

Thanks for the great feedback, we are so happy to hear your kind words​

Reviewed November 29, 2018 via mobile

Wanted to try this iconic Aussie pie place and it was good. We got the Tiger which was a beef pie with smashed peas and mashed potatoes on top, a curry chicken pie, a hot dog and chili fries. With drinks, our tab came out to about 35AUD. The curry chicken was really good. The beef with peas and potatoes on top seemed like a very English thing. The hot dog was ok. The fries had lots of chili on top but also hot sauce which I'm not accustomed to. All in all, it was good. I would treat it like Pat's and Genos in Philly. Go if you're into bucket list/Bourdain/DDD/Zimmern-type food things - they actually have a pic of Bourdain adorning the outside wall (along with a host of other celebs who have been there). I did think Mocka's Pies in Port Douglas made tastier pies, just without the atmosphere of an iconic shack or the fanfare.

Date of visit: November 2018

Thanks​ for visiting Stephen

Reviewed November 14, 2018

I have heard about this place for decades so just had to give it a try. Got to say I was pretty disappointed. Not only was the menu very limited it just wasn't great food. With the place being round for 75'ish years you would think they could step it up a little. The concept of the pie'n'peas is great but make it a good pie. Chilli dogs are some of my favourite foods but this was just bland.
Sorry for the mediocre review but if you want to stay round for another 75 years you need to improve

Date of visit: November 2018