“OK but nothing special”

Ranked #94 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
glasgow
“OK but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights.

Location is great. Right next to King Street Wharf. 5 mins from Wynward Station.

Rooms were clean and modern but tiny (i did expect it to be small). There was barely enough space for 2 of us and 2 cases! Bathroom a nice size and modern. There was a big highway going past the hotel but it was well sound proofed as I didn't hear any traffic at all.

The staff were always friendly and helpful. There is a bar/cafe where you can get breakfast/drinks but we didn't use it so I cant comment on that.

NEGATIVE:

On the morning we were leaving we wore woken but someone knocking doors (over and over agin) and shouting "houskeeping". It was 8.15 AM!....... This went on for over an hour. If i had the energy to get out of my bed I would have went out and told him to shut up............ I appreciate that rooms need cleaned but at this time in the morning staff should be quiet. We could hear the hoover scraping over the wooden floors and there was a big bang as he put down the mop bucket in every room........ This meant that we were then knackered as we were flying through the night to Hong Kong. I could have done with the extra 2 hours sleep that I didn't get.

Also, $7 to keep your bag for a few hours is quite mean.

Would I stay here again, I'm not sure. Maybe if we had a much larger room and gagged the housekeeper!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Kellie6412, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Dear glasgow

Thank you for your review of the Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, we are glad you found the location ideally sutied and the team friendly.

Kellie Stapleton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

This hotel is simple, it has few (read NO) extra features, the rooms are small and clean, the beds are well made, the air conditioning works, water pressure is good.

I must admit I was a little disappointed when we first walked into the room...mostly due to its size, however, it's convenient location made up for the initial lack of enthusiasm I had for the hotel.

Booked the hotel online as part of a package deal (flights/accom) and paid a very reasonable price, so all in all, I would say that I am a satisfied customer

There is a 24 hour mini-mart store and a bottle store across the road.

Couple of minutes walk to Wynyard Station

Did not have breakkie there - the cafe next door was better value and had great pastries and coffee.

We wanted to eat in on our last night..the room literature advised that food could be ordered and the picked up from the reception...what we did not find out till we tried to order is that it is essentially dial-a-pizza from an outside provider. It was good pizza, though it did take an hour to arrive.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
Dear 'Tr1ppy'

Thank you for your recent review of Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I was pleased to see that you found the location, price and serive well suited to your Sydney Accommodation requirements.

Thank you for your feedback on the restaurant chargeback facility we offer at the hotel, as well as the delivery in service provided by external restaurants, we also offer a 'Grab it and Go' in room dining service similar to room service, as well as charge back arrangements at 8 restaurants located conveniently on Kings Street Wharf, only 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Crawley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

Having pre-booked the Ibis some time back for $130 a night we really did get value for money. The Hotel is very central to everything from, walking to the Botonic gardens to the waterfront & the Opera House, Kings Wharf & Darling Harbour. Even the Tour Bus stops outside more or less. Rooms are modern (quite well thought out in design) and clean with drink facilities & fridge. Slightly more spacious than what we thought they would be and the staff were friendly, helpful if requiring any information, always happy to keep you topped up with tea bags too. Car parking was $30 per night but this is very resonable for city centre parking. Finding the car park entrance was a bit tricky , a shared underground car park with no signs as such but again, the staff will guide you in. My only slight moan was....there are no towel hooks in the bathroom. Other than the small towel rail left of the sink, there was no where to hang, towels or a dressing gown. Just a minor detail?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear 'GillnBuck'

Thank you for your recent review on Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and found the price, location, staff and facilities incluing on site carparking was so well suited to your stay in Sydney

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2010

this is a very very good hotel .It provides excellent service.It has friendly and helpful staff.Location is very convenient to get to other places.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank carolwong84
Dear 'Carolwong84'

Thank you for your recent review of Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am glad that you found the location, faclities and staff perfectly suited for your hotel stay in Sydney.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for one night before we boarded the cruise ship. It is conveniently located to the wharf with a short walk of 100 metres. Also very close to Sydney city where you can walk into town. Room was clean and tidy but very small. No outlook except into office buildings, but it suited us for the position. If I was boarding a cruise ship, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Staff were helpful when asked questions. Lots of restaurants in close vicinity.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear 'Amamoor'

Thank you for your review of Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf is definately very well located for pre and post Cruise stays, as its only a 3 minute walk to the terminal

new zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

my husbabd and i had three nights stay at the Ibis sydney street Wharf motel. we arrived to find a very helpful giril on the desk that was very nice and helpful her name was Alicia i must say that everyone that we came across who worked there was very good at their job even the young guy who was on the desk at 6 oclock when we checked out on the sunday the 9th of may sorry i forgot his named. we felt very welcomed to be a guest staying there. The Room was so very clean the first night we had a standard room and it was bigger enought for the two of us we were planing to be out all day sight seeing and shopping anyway we were on the 5th floor over looking the road and it was very quite which was quite amazing for been near the road. the next two night we were able to up grade to a bigger room for it had it on our ticket stating we could it was good too it was much bigger with a couch to be able to sit on instead of sitting on the bed. the floors were wood but it didnt make it cold the service was good we got up and left our bed unmade and when we return the bed was made and the pyjamers were neatly folded up on the bed i have never come across that in any other place we have stayed well done and thanks to the person who did it ,it made us feel pampered. Ibis is close to every thing you want to go to the Aquarium,Darling harbour,Star city casino restaurants and Bars shopping its all in walking distant the transport system is great you dont need a car when staying at Ibis you can get all day passes that have the buses trains and ferrys all on it. that you just get on one and get off and catch another form be it a bus, train of ferry . we will be definitely staying at Ibis Sydney king street again when we come back to Sydney thank you we had a great time .

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smithNewZealand
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Dear 'SmithNewZealand

Thank you very much for your amazing review on Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay!

We pride ourselves on our customer service, and am very happy that you were able to experience this first hand, combined with the hotels clean rooms, ideal location to experience everything Sydney has to offer, all within walking distance

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf in the future

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2010

I stayed one night in May - booking online a month in advance the room was $116 per night and hot breakfast $20 per day (the rate increases if booking less than 30 days in advance as it was much more expensive when a colleague enquired). My room was on the Eastern side of the hotel on the 5th floor, and was similarly furnished to other Ibis' I have stayed in (i.e. rather austere) and very clean. One "surprise" was that instead of carpet the floor in the room had a wood grain style vinyl. The bed was comfortable, and the double blinds very effective at keeping the room dark in the morning.

I note other contributors have commented on the breakfast. I thought $20 was reasonable for the hot breakfast, which included baked beans, bacon, scrambled egg, breakfast sausages, hash browns and mushrooms, but $15 for the continental breakfast selections is a bit steep.

As other contributors have noted the hotel is a short walk to Darling Harbour, Wynyard and Circular Quay. I noted the hotel were advertising airport transfers for $12 and hire lockers for $7 per day, although I didn't use either facilitiy.

The only problem I encountered was that the morning check out was a little slow as they only had one staff member on the desk and they were also handling telephone enquiries.

Overall I consider that Ibis King Street represents excellent value for money if you get an advance booking internet rate.

TC

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ThinController
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
Dear 'TC'

Thank you for taking the time to review Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, its excellent that you have enjoyed all aspects of your stay.

The hotels location and the perfectly clean rooms are two things that we pride ourselves on, and I was particularly happy that you enjoyed your breakfast experience, we feel it represents excellent value for $20 and is something Jose the Chef works incredibly hard on, which was recognized when we won the 'Best Ibis Breakfast for 2009' in the recent Accor awards.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf soon