“Overprized. Hotel charges an extra fee when paying with credit card. Avoid”

Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf
Ranked #99 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This hotel is very expensive considering the size of the rooms and the fact that everything extra (e.g. internet) will cost you a lot of money. Even paying cost you money as there is a surcharge for credit card payments!!! This is ridiculous for a hotel from a chain like Accor. Front desk staff is clumsy and not well informed. Due to bad advise of the front desk in connection with the airport pick up service we arrived 2,5 hours before departure at the airport (in the very early morning!) instead of 1 hour (which is required for domestic flights). Never again. Sydney offers much better (and cheaper) options.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2010

Dear 'damaAMSTERDAM'

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I was dissapointed you did not enjoy aspects of your stay

With relation to your displeasure with the credit card surcharge is easily avoided by booking your next stay on-line at accorhotels. This will ensure you are exempt from the surcharge for all charges related to your stay

There are also several payment options which ensure that this surcharge is avoided by paying in cash and EFTPOS for your final bill, this information is also displayed at reception.

I will look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf in the near future

Benjamin Krieg

Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)

Reviewed February 14, 2010

Recently stayed at this hotel for two nights after completing a cruise. It is so close to the #8 Wharf in Darling Harbour where we docked, we walked our cases from one to the other. The hotel is not a big plush one, but an ideal one. Rooms minimalistic but compacted nicely, and spotlessly clean, not noisy even though the highway backs on the hotel. Location perfect to go to Darling Harbour, Maritime Museum, Imax, Aquarium, and cafes and eateries. We even walked to Circular Quay from here and got the ferry back. I was really happy with my choice, and the price for Sydney was terrific. Great work to Mr. Krieg and his staff.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2010

Dear 'Joanie'

Thank you for your recent review and kind words for Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am so very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and found the location so convenient for everywhere you needed to visit in Sydney.

Reviewed February 1, 2010

These rooms are very small, and the window even more so. HOWEVER, if you are after a new, clean room in an easily accessable location (great for King St Wharf, Darling Harbour, City shopping, The Rocks, Circular Quay, and transport) then this is a great option. Staff were efficient and helpful.
It is super close to the freeway but the rooms are whisper quiet, no need for concern re noise.
As a Sydneysider, this is the perfect hotel for when I need a bed for the night and am not interested in the romance of the big/beautiful hotels.
Would stay again for that price.
Great work Ibis.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2010

Dear 'ShellsO'

Thank you for your review on Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, and for giving us 5/5 for Service, Location, Cleanliness and Value all of which we pride ourselves upon.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed January 26, 2010

Stayed for a week in Jan. Clean, comfortable and quiet - the double glazing meant that the freeway outside my window was no problem. The location is fantastic and the staff were very helpful and courteous, particularly the young lady who seemed to be working just about all hours of the day and night. The only (slight) criticism is that the room was on the small side - great for one person but would have been a little cramped for 2, and I did find the shower a little cramped.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2010

Dear 'MRDAV64'

Thank you for taking the time to review Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf'

The double glazing does work very well within the rooms, and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Regards

Reviewed January 22, 2010

I've booked to stay at IBIS King Street Wharf for 9 nights after reading all the great reviews in here. The staffs are all extra friendly and we've had very good feeling about the service the minute we first walked in and were greeted warmly. We arrived at around 12-ish and were managed to checked into our room right away as the staff told us that it was cleaned and ready for us. I was impressed in their flexibility on that as many other hotels I've stayed at always made us wait till the check-in time. We had a standard room and I've read the review before making the booking so we were prepared for the size of our room. However when we walked into our room, we were so happy with the cleanliness that we have forgotten about the size of the room. It sort of made up for it as our first priority in hotels is cleanliness plus no rust can be found in the bathroom. The room is very modern and clean so we didn't mind about the small size at all. It's really not as small as what I've expected. Besides, we spent most of our time traveling outdoor anyway. We just need a very clean room to go home to at the end of the day to sleep and rest. The air-condition was having a malfunction one night and we couldn't sleep at all as it was very hot in Sydney at the time and staying at 7th Floor made it worst coz the heat raised from bottom to top. We went to the front desk to complain about it at 2am after trying very hard to sleep but failed and I was having headache at that time. A staff named Vanessa was wonderful as she tried her very best to look for a room with cooler temperature for us and in the end, we were moved to a superior room at 1st Floor for the rest of our trip (2 nights left). We were very very impressed with IBIS King Street Wharf by that time for being treated fairly and with great ethic. Were given a complimentary 'continental breakfast' which was so-so but it's free so there's nothing to complain about. I won't pay for a breakfast here however as they are with very few selection and does not look appealing. I've been to many hotels and tried many buffet breakfasts so I know the difference when I see one. However, that is a very minor problem as I'm sure the Hotel will do something to improve that as they are still a very new Hotel. Anyway, I will not hesitate for even a second that I will stay in this hotel again the next time I travel to Sydney. Thank you all staff at IBIS King Street Wharf for the great hospitality an we shall see you again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveluvee

Dear 'traveluvee'

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf.

We pride ourselves upon our service and cleanliness and combined with a great room in a great location we hope to exceed every guests expectations time and time again

Reviewed January 22, 2010

We stayed the night prior to our Princess Cruise departing Wharf 8 Darling Harbour. The rooms are small, but clean, modern and adequate. For those travelling from Wharf 8 the location is outstanding. In the morning we just wheeled our suitcases downhill a short way and we were at the cruise terminal. Close proximity to King Street Wharf and only a short stroll to Daling Harbour. Cruise travellers will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear 'gkjacob'

Thank you for your recent review of Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf 'Stay here Pre Cruise' as the hotel is only 100 metres from Wharf 8, we definitely are a good choice for any pre and post Cruise stays departing this and even the international cruise terminal in Circular Quay

Reviewed January 20, 2010

I checked in here for one night after being disappointed with the Travelodge up the road. The room in the Ibis was small but very modern and ultra clean, with a desk and LCD TV. The rate was reasonable and the location excellent, between Darling Harbour and Central Quay.

I would recommend this place for short stays.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo

Dear 'LondonDuncan'

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I was particularly pleased to be able to accommodate you after having problems with the Travelodge up the road.

We definitely pride ourselves on a providing the essential elements for any hotel stay, great clean rooms in a great location complimented with excellent service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf again soon