“Right in the Heart of the Bay”

Ranked #94 of 174 Hotels in Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shropshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel in September 2012, we had 2 rooms booked, one for my husband and I and one for my parents who were travelling with us. Despite arriving early (around 11am) they were able to check us in and gave us rooms next door to each other which was great.

Front desk staff were always helpful and polite but I was a bit galled to be told there would be a $150 holding charge on each room for the duration of our stay - this seems rather ridiculous to me but was non-negotiable.

Our two rooms were on the 4th floor and were on the corner overlooking the flyover road - I was a bit dubious about traffic noise but actually we had no issues with this and it seemed that the windows were triple glazed. Although the rooms were small they were adequate for our needs with a decent bed, wardrobe and safe, tea and coffee facilities and a clean, bright, fairly new en-suite shower room.

Personally I do not go on holiday to spend time in a hotel room and as long as it is comfortable and clean I am happy - given the location of this place, I felt that we had got a fab deal and good value as we had paid around £220 for the 3 nights for each room (paid upfront via Hotels.com).

The location is brilliant for exploring Sydney on foot, the Harbour is around a 20 minute walk away and the Botanic Gardens also about the same, the nearest train station is Wynyard which is literally about 5 minutes walk away, making the airport train ideal for getting in and out.

As this hotel is literally just alongside the Wharf it also means that you have a whole heap of lovely bars and restaurants right on the doorstep - we loved this element. There is also a very nice Dinky Di cafe literally next door where you can pick up a coffee and fresh croissant for less than $13 - this makes the $22 Ibis breakfast seem ridiculously priced (which it is!).

We slept well and had no issues with other guest noise or from the traffic, a nice touch in the room was an ipod/iphone dock which meant I could charge my phone overnight each night without the rigmarole of chargers and adaptors.

For the location and the good value for money we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the less chance you will have of traffic noise. Use the cafe nextdoor for break...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Nantes, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Although I have no complaints about the service of this hotel, I was taken aback when I arrived to be informed that I would be charged 150 $A on top of my bill as a "holding" charge! This info wasn't on their site, and this amount was supposed to be reimbursed to my account sometime later...They also charge for paying by credit card, so check out other places first!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kellie6412, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf.

At Ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Kellie Stapleton
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Staff very friendly and helpful, clean and easy to access and park (once directions known from front desk). Room ridiculously small, bed uncomfortable and too small. I'm 6'2" admitedly, but my wife is only 5'2" and she struggled with her feet hanging off the end. The TV mounted on an angle that faces the window, not the bed, and cannot be adjusted. Soft mesh blind on window bangs against the frame when the air conditioning is on (keeping you awake), which is all the time because you cant adjust the fan speed or open the window. For the money, have stayed at a lot of better valued (appointed/sized) hotels in Sydney.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and perhaps our Harbour King rooms would be more to your liking.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Kellie Stapleton