“Bug in my linguine”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Bills Surry Hills

Bills Surry Hills
Reserve with
Bills Surry Hills is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #158 of 5,835 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Description: Bills Surry Hills opened under the hotel on Crown Street in 1996. A great spot - since then, Surry Hills has transformed itself from a quiet rag-trade area of Sydney to the centre of the city's media and arts communities and its restaurant hot-spot. The open kitchen at bills Surry Hills is lively and fun all day: locals pick up their coffee or fresh juice on the way to work; friends chat over brunch; business lunches are held next to prams, backpacks and the occasional celebrity; and neighbourhood families drop in for an easy dinner.
London, United Kingdom
“Bug in my linguine”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Yes, you read correctly. We visited for lunch one rainy weekend and as I was eating through my linguine, I was very surprised (or perhaps revolted would be more precise) with a big black cockroach looking bug under my pasta. The waitress tried to tell me it must have just flown in to my plate. This would have been difficult given it was actually cooked in to my meal so it obviously came straight from the kitchen.

Quality control at the restaurant is an issue. I also find it has lost it's polish with all the other meals at my table being, quite frankly, underwhelming. If you want good quality food in Surry Hills, go past this place and keep walking!

• Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
“Favourite breakfast place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Having lived in surry hills as a young twenty something this place has memories for me. Came back to visit and it put a smile on my face. The ricotta pancakes are an indulgence. The food us simple but lovely. For example the scrambled eggs on sour dough toast had the right balance and generous servings. Id also recommend the freshly squeezed juice too. Service is friendly and down to earth. Highly recommended

USA
“It was okay ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I would rate this 3.5 stars if I could. The coffee was fine if a bit sour (I wasn't so impressed with the coffee in Australia despite the fact that they take pride in it). I had the scrambled eggs which was fine. The avocado salsa was good. Basically it was slightly above average by US standards but the prices (like most other places in Sydney) were much higher.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Expected a lot more from Bill Granger's famous restaurant. Had breakfast there, had to wait forvatleastban hour to get a table. Once inside, found the decor itself to remind me of the ikea cafe. The staff were amazing butbfoundvthevfoodvto be nothing special at all.
For the price, we had a better breakfast down the road for half the price.
Would not return for breakfast.

nottingham
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We booked for an early evening meal. This proved to be essential as prospective diners who popped in after us were turned away. Only 2 serving staff and 3 in the kitchen. They all worked hard to give us tasty food served promptly. The prices were on a par with other Sydney restaurants. It wasn't too noisy.

• Visited March 2013