“Favourite breakfast place”
Review of Bills Surry Hills

Bills Surry Hills
Reserve with
Bills Surry Hills is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #156 of 5,833 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Description: Bills Surry Hills opened under the hotel on Crown Street in 1996. A great spot - since then, Surry Hills has transformed itself from a quiet rag-trade area of Sydney to the centre of the city's media and arts communities and its restaurant hot-spot. The open kitchen at bills Surry Hills is lively and fun all day: locals pick up their coffee or fresh juice on the way to work; friends chat over brunch; business lunches are held next to prams, backpacks and the occasional celebrity; and neighbourhood families drop in for an easy dinner.
Canberra, Australia
“Favourite breakfast place”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Having lived in surry hills as a young twenty something this place has memories for me. Came back to visit and it put a smile on my face. The ricotta pancakes are an indulgence. The food us simple but lovely. For example the scrambled eggs on sour dough toast had the right balance and generous servings. Id also recommend the freshly squeezed juice too. Service is friendly and down to earth. Highly recommended

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
USA
“It was okay ”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I would rate this 3.5 stars if I could. The coffee was fine if a bit sour (I wasn't so impressed with the coffee in Australia despite the fact that they take pride in it). I had the scrambled eggs which was fine. The avocado salsa was good. Basically it was slightly above average by US standards but the prices (like most other places in Sydney) were much higher.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Expected a lot more from Bill Granger's famous restaurant. Had breakfast there, had to wait forvatleastban hour to get a table. Once inside, found the decor itself to remind me of the ikea cafe. The staff were amazing butbfoundvthevfoodvto be nothing special at all.
For the price, we had a better breakfast down the road for half the price.
Would not return for breakfast.

nottingham
“Very nice”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We booked for an early evening meal. This proved to be essential as prospective diners who popped in after us were turned away. Only 2 serving staff and 3 in the kitchen. They all worked hard to give us tasty food served promptly. The prices were on a par with other Sydney restaurants. It wasn't too noisy.

• Visited March 2013
San Francisco, California
“The sweetcorn fritters are the stars!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I really wanted to like Bill's. I've made his ricotta hotcakes at home and they were amazing. So it was a must that I come here to eat.

We shared an order of the sweetcorn fritters and the ricotta hotcakes with honeycomb butter. The 3 hotcakes are served with bananas over melted butter on the bottom of the plate and on the top of the to hotcake. This was what I was waiting for. We split our orders and I dived into my meal.

The sweetcorn fritters were nice and crispy. The sweetcorn is really the star to this dish as it shines entirely. Yet unfortunately the hotcakes disappointed me after my first bite. The hotcakes were tough and flat. I expected it to be airy and light, as the ones I made at home. Though the recipe was the same, it must have been the type of ingredients (how it was produced) were different. A slight let down, as I was expecting this dish to really shine.

I'm glad that I tried Bill's during my visit. If I didn't, I would have been left with the "I've should have" feeling that would haunt me for a long time.

• Visited March 2013