“The sweetcorn fritters are the stars!”
Review of Bills Surry Hills

Bills Surry Hills
Ranked #217 of 5,992 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Description: Bills Surry Hills opened under the hotel on Crown Street in 1996. A great spot - since then, Surry Hills has transformed itself from a quiet rag-trade area of Sydney to the centre of the city's media and arts communities and its restaurant hot-spot. The open kitchen at bills Surry Hills is lively and fun all day: locals pick up their coffee or fresh juice on the way to work; friends chat over brunch; business lunches are held next to prams, backpacks and the occasional celebrity; and neighbourhood families drop in for an easy dinner.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I really wanted to like Bill's. I've made his ricotta hotcakes at home and they were amazing. So it was a must that I come here to eat.

We shared an order of the sweetcorn fritters and the ricotta hotcakes with honeycomb butter. The 3 hotcakes are served with bananas over melted butter on the bottom of the plate and on the top of the to hotcake. This was what I was waiting for. We split our orders and I dived into my meal.

The sweetcorn fritters were nice and crispy. The sweetcorn is really the star to this dish as it shines entirely. Yet unfortunately the hotcakes disappointed me after my first bite. The hotcakes were tough and flat. I expected it to be airy and light, as the ones I made at home. Though the recipe was the same, it must have been the type of ingredients (how it was produced) were different. A slight let down, as I was expecting this dish to really shine.

I'm glad that I tried Bill's during my visit. If I didn't, I would have been left with the "I've should have" feeling that would haunt me for a long time.

There are newer reviews for Bills Surry Hills

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

It wasn't until I read a blog post by author and food guru David Lebovitz that i ventured down the 'other end' of Surry Hills and decided to check out Bills. (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/10/sydney-australia-restaurants-dining/)

There were 3 couples ahead of us at around 9.15am and we were asked to wait outside to be seated.The maitre d was a tad overdressed for breakfast service. The tight black evening dress and heels didn't quite match the brekky crowd dressed in what ever they could yank out of their Sunday morning pile of clothes. We were seated inside after a 15 min wait which wasn't too bad considering the rave reviews about Bills brekky.

The table we were seated at had me pushed up against a wall to my left with a long mirror, with the table to my right very close you could hardly move. Even getting to my seat was a chore since the tables are so close you almost need to excuse yourself while your butt swipes the salt and pepper shakers off the table(and hey my butts not even Kim
K-like!) I asked if we could move to a table outside which I was eyeing off from the moment we got there. The maitre d seems to have an "oh is it free?" moment to which I though how could you miss it this whole time.

ok moving right along now.

Bills own organic coffee by Single Origin Roasters - this was good but not as great as David lebovitz claimed it was(sorry Dave!) "One cup of just regular drip coffee that I had at Bills from Single Origin Roasters made me want to cry. Seriously. If I didn’t want to disrupt the diners enjoying their meals in the cool-white atmosphere, I would have had a little breakdown while sipping my coffee in the corner." hmm yours must've been 'spesh'.

So we waited a solid 40 mins before our breakfast hit the table.

Scrambled organic eggs with sourdough toast - this was worth the wait. Velvety, delicious eggs, I want that recipe!

Ricotta hotcakes with fresh banana and honeycomb butter - I was really looking forward to this. I couldn't take the 'honeycomb' in the butter. Even after drizzling the maple syrup it lacked flavour. The ricotta which was concealed in the hotcakes was also bland. It lacked creaminess and flavour, was almost a fat free ricotta which was soaked in water to remove any traces of flavour. This needs a bit of love.

I'll be back though. Bills deserves a second chance.

Tip: make sure you don't rock up after 10am otherwise be prepared just jump on the end of a looooong queue.

The menu: http://www.bills.com.au/pdf/Surry%20Hills%20Menu%20board.pdf

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Yes, there is a wait. We went on a Sunday, and I thought the hostess handled the situation very well. She was realistic about our waiting time... which was not too terrible.
We were ready for lunch but admired the delicious-looking breakfast/brunch dishes on others' tables. The corn fritters and the pancakes looked fabulous.
I had a wonderful "avocado and tuna poke". My friends had very good gravlax. And we topped it all off with amazing iced coffee and iced chocolate, to die for!
We loved the look of the room, an airy space with an appealing open kitchen.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Dropped in on Saturday afternoon for a tea and cake with some friends. We ordered a chocolate brownie to share. What we didn't order was one with a hair in it. I brought it back into the manager who didn't seem at all apologetic but said that he will bring another one out.

If consistency is key then they have it down pat because the second brownie also had a hair in it! The manager couldn't believe it himself and I requested that it be cut from the bill. I actually thought that by being served two brownies each with a hair in them that he would just shout us the two tea's and the overpriced orange juice. But he didn't. That's why I am here writing this poor review, because not only did they fail on two dishes, they didn't even have the courtesy the make up for it.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We've been many times to the Wollahra Bill's and a couple of times to this one. We had a girlfriends brunch on Australia Day. We all ordered the Aussie breakfast as thought it "un-Australian" to order anything else. Then, as we always do, we ordered the ricotta pancakes to share as "dessert". Who doesn't like the concept of breakfast dessert?! Whilst our waitress was excellent (a lovely German girl), the kitchen was obviously under the pump and the pancakes came same time as everything else so we had to send back. When we got them, they were stodgy, too much flour, not enough ricotta and the banana was also hard, syrup also nothing like the Wollahra Bill's. Lovely chai though, if only we didn't have to ask twice for some honey. Altogether maybe just a busy day but not the best Bill's visit!