“Best Greek food ever, including in Greece!”

Medusa Greek Taverna
Ranked #18 of 6,144 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

After 4 fairly uninspiring days of food in Sydney, we tried our luck as walk-ins at Medusa at 8pm tonight after seeing TA reviews. The restaurant was very busy but a table was found for us within 5 minutes. Service was quick, efficient and specials explained clearly. Shared starter of zucchini flowers was delicious. Main of stifadho was simply the best Greek food I have ever tasted. Meat melted on the fork into the sauce - superb. Wine choices were broad and would suit all budgets and tastes. Chat with the owner over complimentary ouzos was a bonus. Completely stunned at the previous negative review, which is out of step with all others and our experience. This is an excellent restaurant at reasonable cost in a city where truly good food is difficult to come by without re-mortgaging the house. Thank you for making our last evening in Sydney a memorable one.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Very poor.

Booked a table for 8pm. Arrived at 7:55pm. There were a couple of walk-ins who were shown to a table before us (at just after 8pm) leaving us waiting. Luckily we had a table not long after, but only because a couple happened to leave. Why book if they're going to give priority to people who haven't?

We were pointed to our table, and not shown. As such we were sat for 10-15 minutes with no service, just perusing the menu. When the waitress came and I placed my order (the house special of suckling pig) I was told they'd sold out. This is at prime seating time and I don't think it is excusable. If we were taking a late seating then I could sympathise, but not for an 8pm seating. At least if we'd been sat properly we may have been told that they'd sold out and that would have saved me rushing my subsequent choice of main.

The starters (pita bread and two dips) were so basic that they should really have been provided as a complimentary dish.

My main (Arni Souvlaki) was very poor. I do not eat Greek often, so perhaps the food was exactly as it should be, but that would be a terrible advert for Greek cooking. The lamb, prepared on a skewer, was tough, fatty, over-cooked and over-salted. I couldn't finish it. It was accompanied by chips, that I felt were cooked from frozen, more pita bread, and the same dip as from the starter. I left most of that too.

The whole place seemed very worn. We viewed three menus (two to choose our main meals and then one to view the desserts) and two were falling apart.

Not once were we asked if we were enjoying our meals. I wasn't even asked if there had been a problem when our waitress removed my plate of almost untouched food.

This all from a restaurant that is supposed to be the best Greek restaurant in Sydney. A gentleman, I can only presume to be the owner, was boasting about their tripadvisor status to another table.

So poor service, poor food, poor value and a poor experience.

There are many better restaurants in Sydney (although I can't comment on the Greek scene), you should try somewhere else.

8  Thank craigodile
Reviewed April 13, 2014

If you are looking for a restaurant with good atmosphere and great food, make a booking. The menu, including the wonderful share desert will definitely have you going back another time.

1  Thank PBJ17
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I had dinner at Medusa Greek Taverna and enjoyed the food as well the whole experience. While the decor of the restaurant is modern, the food is classical. We both had the Greek Salad to start. As a main course I had the roast lamb rump while my wife had roast lamb in wrapped in phylo dough. Both were delicious! The service was excellent and there was a good selection of wines by the glass. After dinner we had the pleasure of having a chat with the owner. He and my wife swapped recipes and he told us about the restaurant and the history of his family in Australia. It was a wonderful and memorable evening.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We ordered several of the entrees and we couldn't fault them. The tarama and halloumi were great, the dolmades and spanakopita tasty, and the zucchini flowers outstanding.

The problem came with the mains. Two out of the six (lamb and pork) were so salty they were barely edible. One was my main and I didn't complain because it was a special occasion for a family member and I didn't want to spoil the evening by making a fuss. It was only later that I found out my son had the same issue with his meal. I see other reviewers with the same complaint. Most people have cut down on their salt intake, so why hasn't the restaurant taken this on board and stopped the over salting. There is a salt shaker on the table we can use if we need to.

The desserts were excellent, so I'd suggest you either order lots of mezethes and no mains, or stick to fish and chicken. I'm rating it 4 stars because of the entrees, four out of six mains, dessert and the friendly service.