“Great value, excellent location, good room”

The Great Southern Hotel
Ranked #96 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Although the rooms are very small and have no view at all, we found the hotel to be great value, quiet, cosy, secure, have a fabulous location, is reasonably friendly, very clean, warm (it is WINTER), comfortable, have a good restaurant and is quite charming. We will definitely stay here again and I would recommend it to others looking for a basic, clean, quiet, cheap, central room with a fridge, TV, desk and an attached bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tiana07

Reviewed June 4, 2010

Great hotel, very clean and reception staff very helpful with directions and answering all questions. Very good location so close to the central station and fantastic value for money. Would highly recommend this hotel to people who don't want luxury but still clean and comfortable. Even got given chocolates as it was valentines day, nothing bad to say about this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank soxs777
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Room was OK. Said they gave us an upgrade, only to find it was 2 twin beds pushed together, I guess trying to make a king sized bed??? Liked having the fridge. Not super clean. They LOCKED us out of our room (we had 5 days left) after we had put 2 breakfasts on the credit card saying we were over our credit limit and that they had tried calling our room but we weren't there (duh, they think we vacation during the day in the room?) The breakfast (buffet) were cold. Liked we were near the Central Train station, and the free 555 green bus, and central market (fresh fruits & veggies). Darling Harbour has a restaurant called Pontoon that has 10 dollar lunches, & Nick's has good large breakfasts. Did not like all the homeless people around the area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nyssa52
Reviewed April 29, 2010

located close to central station and paddy market. walkable distance to darling harbour. rooms were a bit old but decent enough for a short stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melblore
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I stayed for a total of two nights, on either side of a conference outside Sydney. A$99 per room -- excellent rate. First night my room was facing back street, second night my room was facing internal courtyard. No views whatsoever, but I didn't stay there for the views. Perfect location, just 200 metres from Central Station (good for catching train for an early flight) and 100 metres from restaurants in Chinatown. Old cigarette burn mark on the blanket. Lift lobby a bit dusty and needed a good vacuum. Seems to have decent security -- you need to insert your room key in the lift before you can press the button for the floor you are going up to. Small but adequate room on first night, and on second night I got an upgrade because I had recently stayed there. I would give it 3 starts but not 4 because it just didn't have a the feel of a 4 star hotel. Not the type of hotel where I would stay for a long holiday, but I think it will be my first choice on future short visits to Sydney.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank nyalpi
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Before I start I left my comments with the management on departure so they already know..but I might add have not responded.
Room not clean...cupboard had heaps of dust around the built in safe also behind and under bed dusty and well as rubbish left from other stayers.
Small cockroaches running around floor at night and in bedside drawer. One night I woke to find two small ones run over my hand near my pillow.
Could heard toilet flushing all night from other rooms and also conversations in other room.

The only good thing about the place is that it is handy to Paddy's Market..just outside the back door....Chinatown and Powerhouse Museum and walking distance to Darling Harbour. In fact not far to most things but I would not attempt to walk to circular quay from there. We moved to another hotel after 5 days (Rydes) which was soooo much better and more central.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ardnaher
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Its a good hotel, very old but with a modern twist , the rooms are good quality and comfortable, the food is very good too and not bad value either. the only issue we had was how far away from the harbour it was, bit the local buses are free so no real issue.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple