“affordable considering location”

The Great Southern Hotel
Ranked #96 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 29, 2010

located close to central station and paddy market. walkable distance to darling harbour. rooms were a bit old but decent enough for a short stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melblore

Reviewed April 26, 2010

I stayed for a total of two nights, on either side of a conference outside Sydney. A$99 per room -- excellent rate. First night my room was facing back street, second night my room was facing internal courtyard. No views whatsoever, but I didn't stay there for the views. Perfect location, just 200 metres from Central Station (good for catching train for an early flight) and 100 metres from restaurants in Chinatown. Old cigarette burn mark on the blanket. Lift lobby a bit dusty and needed a good vacuum. Seems to have decent security -- you need to insert your room key in the lift before you can press the button for the floor you are going up to. Small but adequate room on first night, and on second night I got an upgrade because I had recently stayed there. I would give it 3 starts but not 4 because it just didn't have a the feel of a 4 star hotel. Not the type of hotel where I would stay for a long holiday, but I think it will be my first choice on future short visits to Sydney.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank nyalpi
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Before I start I left my comments with the management on departure so they already know..but I might add have not responded.
Room not clean...cupboard had heaps of dust around the built in safe also behind and under bed dusty and well as rubbish left from other stayers.
Small cockroaches running around floor at night and in bedside drawer. One night I woke to find two small ones run over my hand near my pillow.
Could heard toilet flushing all night from other rooms and also conversations in other room.

The only good thing about the place is that it is handy to Paddy's Market..just outside the back door....Chinatown and Powerhouse Museum and walking distance to Darling Harbour. In fact not far to most things but I would not attempt to walk to circular quay from there. We moved to another hotel after 5 days (Rydes) which was soooo much better and more central.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ardnaher
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Its a good hotel, very old but with a modern twist , the rooms are good quality and comfortable, the food is very good too and not bad value either. the only issue we had was how far away from the harbour it was, bit the local buses are free so no real issue.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Stayed in Sydney at this cheap hotel in January 2010 for 6 days .The room was maid-free and small , but in a good location 5 minutes from Central Station . Hotel seemed to be overrun with Chinese travellers . Good , busy hotel bar , restaurant seemed overpriced .

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Conti1964
Reviewed April 7, 2010

The standard rules apply regarding the hotels location. Any hotel right near a central railway station will be surrounded by a slightly dodgy area with adult shops and the like. This is no exception. I am not sure what gives this hotel its stars, I think they must count the bouncer as a doorman (though there are 2 entries, you don't need to go through the bar). Star ratings are all about facilites, and apparently do not relate to quality.

I thought this hotel would be a dive, however it was largely okay. It depends why you're there. I probably would rather pay $50 extra a night and stay somewhere like the Holiday Inn in Darling Harbour, which just feels sooo much cleaner. I was compelled to put lining under my belongings, as it just felt a tinsy bit seedy to me.

The sheets were crisp, though there were white marks on the upper blankets - they could have been wear marks. I saw similar white marks at the Sofitel in Brisbane a few weeks before (though almost excusably... on the valance)

The carpet was patterned. On closer inspection, particularly near the bathroom, you will find hair lightly matted across the carpet.

I paid for a safety deposit box and hung a Do Not Disturb sign on the door which worked for a day or two, but the cleaner came in on the third day. There was a gigantic pubic hair in the door of the shower door after the cleaner left.

The elevator trips had a combination of sweet elderly people and youthful sketchy types (one of which seemed to be on something).

Service was straight forward with no frills.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank skywok
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I only paid $94 per night to stay at this hotel. It had been 7 years since I last stayed here and I was pleasantly surprised. Close access to Chinatown and the theatre district - a short stroll to Central Railway Station, and 5 to 10 minute walk to Pitt St Mall. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. I slept very well! It is a cheap nightly price to stay in the Sydney CBD

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo