“Location, location, location”

Ranked #97 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
Singapore, Singapore
“Location, location, location”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Can't beat the location for this hotel, right smack in the middle of everything and within walking distance from the main train station. The room was clean and spacious with a city view (rooftops), albeit spartan, and had the usual amenities. The carpet looked old but I could live with that. Bathroom on the smaller side but clean. The staff were helpful and gracious, check in and check out was a breeze - they were very willing to give out recommendations on where to eat, how to get there, etc. Very safe neighborhood for solo travelers, surrounded by convenience stores and pubs, plus there are great brekkie places in the vicinity too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JGA_23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Brisbane
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Yet another great stay at the heritage_listed Great Southern Hotel onI George in good old Sydney town. I have stayed at the Best and worst of the worst hotels on this lonely planet and thankfully the GS keeps delivering the goods. Not Posh Becks here, more Baby Old Spice but love the atmosphere and the art deco touches, and the great pub food in the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Stephen P
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed near Darling Harbour for three nights we chose this hotel for out final night in Sydney so we could catch an early train.
We were not impressed. Staff were not particularly friendly, there was nowhere to get a hot drink and a snack in the hotel when we arrived we were told to go out the back and round the corner into China town. The fridge in the room was noisy, there was no view, we had to lug our cases up steps by the lift on our floor, no service or help to be had. No clear directions given when we asked how to find the station. Not a place i would wish to return to, basically we felt they were not interested in us at all

4 Thank trdajara

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I've stayed at the Great Southern Hotel a number of times but my recent visit was the 1st time I stayed in a room facing George St. The room was quite spacious compared to some of the other ones and generally a lovely room, but the noise from the traffic was so loud! The bed was very comfortable and just as I was dozing off a motorbike roared past and I thought it was coming to join me in the room! So if you get a room at the front ask to be moved into the middle of the hotel, unless you sleep like a log or have remembered to pack your ear plugs, I wish I had.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the middle of the hotel for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah G
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Good location close to central station and china town but not opera house and bridge. Very basic hotel attached to a pub and very poor reception service. They charge $2 for storing your luggage most hotels of this for free. En suite is vet tiny.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Don't get a room facing the street. The double windows do nothing to stop the noise. I even went out and bought ear plugs it was that bad.
The room was a 'King' - ie, 2 single beds pushed together - grrrr I hate that.
Sydney hotel prices are just crazy and I can't believe I had to spend $175 a night just to get somewhere half decent.
The room was clean, the hot water was good. Half the TV channels did not work.
Check in and out was very quick.
The air con was set to cold and no matter what I tried I could not make it any warmer then 23 degrees. Thank fully the nights were cool so I could just turn it off before bed.
I caught the train from the airport and it was an easy walk with a heavy bag from Central station.
Some interesting old pieces of history in the foyer. I did not try the breakfast. Doubt I will be back.

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank MeMock
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed here for our last night in Sydney. Room was small but had a reasonable sized bed in it, the hotel is close to restaurants and shops and has a pretty good in-house restaurant, T bone Tuesday was awesome!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple