“A bit pricey but very good food”
Review of Din Tai Fung

Din Tai Fung
Ranked #216 of 6,492 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I didn't realize that there was a Din Tai Fung in Australia but there are actually 3 of them in Sydney. I stumbled upon this one at the Westfield. Arrived early on Saturday and didn't have to find a table or wait in line. I ordered the pork dumplings and the shrimp and pork wonton and noodles. The pork dumplings, albeit very small, had a very delicate (thin) skin, which is good. The wontons, which were also small, and the noodles were not the typical wonton noodles I've experienced in Hong Kong but both were very good. The soup was very clean tasting and didn't leave an oily film in the mouth.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have had a few experiences with DTF whilst in Sydney and never a bad one. Good food with a nice selection. Just be prepared for a wait as it always seems to be busy. I liked how they have a small menu you can make your order on whilst you queue. It speeds up the order process a lot. Slightly expensive but then all the places in this Food Court are.

1  Thank XR6PSI
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by our Lonely Planet guide. It said: get there early and be ready to share a table. And so it was. We arrived there not so early, so there was a big queue. We got this beeper and had to wait in line. We were asked if we would like to share a table, otherwise we had to wait much longer. We waited for maybe 10 minutes for our table. They have a big menu. Enough choice. It is not cheap though and the portions aren't that big. Food came fast and it was all fresh. Staff was very kind. On our way out we peeked into the kitchen, where multiple chefs were making dumplings at a high speed. Great to see! Although it is not cheap, I can recommend this restaurant, because the atmosphere and food are very good!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Sadly, DTF at Westfield has gone downhill. Prices are up, quality and portion size are down.Much better value to go up one level to Sky Pheonix, delish.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Went out for some food on a Saturday night and headed here. I walked by a lot of quiet places on the way and wondered if I should just pop into one of them rather than walk for a few more blocks. When I arrived I was glad I had – the place was bustling and it was a good sign to have to wait for 10 minutes to get a table – although those in groups larger than 2 were waiting much longer.

The service was quick once seated and the food came quickly. The dumplings were as good as I had heard and there was plenty to choose from. The customers were a mix of everything from Asian families through to hipster couples, which is a good sign for the appeal. Downside is that with the tables you may get seated with another couple on a table for 4 – but I guess it depends if you mind this or not.

For me it was worth it – great dumplings and atmosphere.