“A night that started with promise hijacked by the manager.”
Review of Pendolino

Ranked #77 of 6,427 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were stating in Sydney and had been to this restaurant twice befor and enjoyed the experience.

We arrived Saturday night at 6.30 to a half empty restaurant and were shown to the table.

I immediately felt unhappy as we were right next to the waiters work station and the table afforded no privacy and much hustle and bustle from the waiting staff.
I was also in a draught from the aircon.
I didn't say anything as I was aware of my family and didn't want to create any awkwardness.

When the sommelier came to our table he asked if we were happy with the location,if not he would speak to the manager. I thanked him and said please do. The manager came over and said no we couldn't move and the aircon would calm down in 20 mins.
He could only seat us outside on the terrace.

I got upset, my husband got upset with me for getting upset and we had a falling out.
Our daughter got upset because we were now disagreeing and it was just awful.

I said to the Sommelier what happened and he just raised his eyebrows and said I'm sorry.
He was a true gentleman.

Then out of the blue the manager came back and suddenly moved us. My husband apologized to me but it was too late the evening was spoilt.

If we had come in late and that was the only table then so be it, but we were in at 6.30pm and by the time we left the restaurant there were still available tables and that one was defiantly still unoccupied.

Is it a need for power from these managers that makes for such unpleasantness.
Unfortunately I will not be able to recommend this restaurant in the future.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The food was amazing, the wine selection was good and aligned to the different palets of people. I would recommend to not sit near the kitchen as it can get quite noisy. All in all, we had a five course meal and I enjoyed every moment of it. Would I return? Definitely. I have recommended this restaurant to many people and will keep doing so.

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I went here with my brother the final day of our stay in Sydney together. We found it on tripadvisor, which probably is the easiest way considering the location (well hidden in the old arcade 412-414 Sydney, second floor).

We had a delicious pumpkin- & pistachio-lasagne, for main course. The dessert was also something very extra.

The members of the staff made the experience unforgettable, but at the same time very confusing. It started when we got one of our beer bottles 20 minutes after the other, both naturally ordered at the same time. After that they accidentally poured water on our table. Delivered some of our dishes in the wrong order. Giving out espresso with cheese platter, after carefully asking in which order and to which course we would like our coffee.

The essence of these problems probably originates in the place beeing over staffed; with different people doing all kinds of stupid things for one another there can not be order. We had, however, one member of the staff correcting the others' mistakes for them. If he only hadn't dipped the bread-napkin in my water while pouring me a glass, he would have deserved an average tip.

It may all be an act though, all thought out to deliver a genuine, confused Italian-culture. That is the only way management like that would make any sense.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

As usual I checked tripadvisor for some recommendation. Why not go for the best? Pendolino is voted a Travellers Choice 2012. Congratulations.
As I am from Switzerland, we travel a lot to Italy and Italian cuisine has influenced our eating.
Our dinner at Pendolino was very good. We could see the guys working in the kitchen. They did a great job.
Two points have been surprising.
He "Buonasera" Me "Ho fatto una prenotazione per una tavola" He "sorry I don't speek any Italien" too bad...
As a recommendation I had a glass of red wine or should I better say grape juice. Very light taste and colour. Sorry, such a win should not be recommended by the menu and the waiter with informing the client about it’s characteristics. Thanks to the manager I got a replacement free of charge. Well done!

1  Thank Ric-Luzern
Reviewed July 17, 2013

normally in Sydney we eat at La Rosa at the other end of the strand but as it was closed we dined at Pendolino. The food was excellent and the service attentive but subtle. highly recommended.