“Fantastic night photography tour of Sydney”

Sydney Photography Tours
and up
Melbourne Night Photography Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Learn Digital Photography from a professional photographer as you explore the technical capabilities of your camera and unlock your creativity. Make the best shots from the best spots and gain the confidence to take home memorable and picture perfect postcard photos of your travel photography.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Last Saturday night I enrolled in a night photography tour of the Sydney Rocks area, run by Alfonso Calero. Even though I had studied photography for four years and had a Canon 5D Mark II, I still learnt so much in this 3 hour session.

He has a great teaching style and was able to cater to those who had just purchased their first DSLR camera, right through to the more experienced photographer. We photographed some great night shots around the city and then tried out some successful long exposure work.

I hadn't taken shot for a long time and Alfonso inspired me to get the tripod and camera out the following night and do some more shooting! I'm keen to try out some of his future courses and would highly recommend him.

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Just been on the morning tour and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Alfonso is a great guy, very knowledgeable but without being patronising. He showed me some basics on my camera and then set me off taking pics.

Alfonso is also a font of historic knowledge and is happy to show historic points of interest along the way.

I learnt a lot in the 3 hours and only wish I had enough time to do the night tour as well.

Thanks Alfonso
Chris & Ruth

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I took this tour as a way to get photography ideas and learn how to operate our cameras. Alfonso did a nice job balancing the different skills of the group. As a part of the tour he provided some handy reference cards, which i am still carrying around. He also provided some interesting history about the rocks area as we walked around to different sites. The photo instructions were understandable and he let us proactive what we learned. It was a lot of information, but well done.

1  Thank David C
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I bought a good camera as a present to myself in the summer, but hadn't taken it off automatic mode. Was getting really frustrated that I hadn't even scratched the surface of it's capabilities and felt like I was missing some really good photo opportunities. In the three hours I learned exactly what aperture, shutter speed and ISO actually mean and how to access and change them, and when and how it's appropriate to do so. I have an allergy to manuals so had read about these things, but until it was demonstrated and put in to context it didn't mean anything to me.

All this was learned in a really practical and fun way, with a nice group of people. Good range of skills in the group too, so I learned from more experienced members, without feeling out of my depth. Alfonso is a great teacher; patient and enthusiastic, with a good local knowledge if anyone is looking for some history of the local area.

I would recommend this to anyone. Also, if you are a real novice (like myself) and have specific questions about camera functions, do take along your manual or email it to Alfonso. I did this in advance and it was really helpful.

I will definitely be back to do the night photography course at the end of January.

1  Thank PollyR_100
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Prior to doing a photography trip to Japan run by Alfonso Calero of Sydney Photography Tours, I did a refresher course of the Sydney Photography Tour in The Rocks, Sydney. I did this same tour course a couple of years ago, then did it again in September 2012. Loved the first time and got even more out of it the second time. Highly recommend this tour, especially if you are a beginner like me.

From 30 Oct – 9 Nov, 2012, I was fortunate to go on a photography tour of Japan led by Alfonso Calero of Sydney Photography Tours. Alfonso is fluent in several languages, including Japanese. This was exceptionally helpful in Japan, where nearly all the signs are in Japanese and where English is not readily spoken. We were able to travel safe in the knowledge that we had someone who could communicate fully with the locals, and who was able to read all the signs in order for us to travel efficiently around the country. Alfonso's ability to speak and read Japanese made a huge difference to members of the tour who spoke very limited Japanese and during the trip, Alfonso taught us some Japanese phrases. When we used them, our efforts were very much appreciated by the locals.

Each day of the tour was a highlight. Although I had a dreadful head cold and felt pretty awful for most of the tour, I couldn’t wait to get going each day, as each day seemed to be better than the day before! Beautiful scenery in the places we travelled to, an incredible number of landscapes, people, architecture and food to photograph. The locations Alfonso had chosen for us to photograph were truly stunning and showed Japan to its best advantage.

Alfonso was incredibly patient with every person on the tour and was always cheerful. Nothing phased him. Actually, I think he has the patience of a saint, and he really loves his job! We were challenged each day, learning new techniques to use the camera and improve our photography. My photography improved out of sight! When I reviewed my photos after I arrived home from an extended overseas trip, I saw that my photographs and technique had improved enormously during the trip in Japan. With the lessons learnt during the trip to Japan, I was also thrilled with the photographs I took in other countries after Japan.

It was such a perfect tour, I couldn’t fault the way it was planned or executed in the time we had. If we had been able to do a longer tour in Japan, I would have loved the chance to travel to Mt Fuji (which we saw so magnificently during a train trip), Osaka, Kobe & Hiroshima.

I had such a great time on the tour, that I would love to do another one with Alfonso Calero. If my schedule permits it, I am considering the photography trip to Spain in 2013.