“*DO NOT STAY* ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING VENUE + SERVICE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Lodge Hotel

Holiday Lodge Hotel
Ranked #168 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
“*DO NOT STAY* ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING VENUE + SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Holiday Lodge Hotel is THE WORST accommodation experience I have ever had. When we booked the hotel, we understood it was budget accommodation. However, we expected basic requirements such as cleanliness to be met. The venue is disgusting - the carpets are stained, the bathroom walls and soap holder are covered in mould, parts of the carpet are lifted (extremely hazardous), the beds are creaky and covered in rust, the lounges have stains all over them, the television did not work, the bedroom light flickered, there was no quilt provided for the beds (despite overnight temperatures of less than 10degrees) and many more issues. Despite all of these inadequacies, the customer service provided by this establishment is by its most disgusting facet. When the initial booking was made, management advised that a bond must be left. It was agreed that if a credit card/debit card was provided, this would be a sufficient. At 930pm, the Manager Sally approached the room and informed me that a credit/debit card was no longer sufficient and I was to provide $300 to them immediately for the bond. Sally openly admitted they had tried to withdraw the $300 from my account and it had failed. It was then that I firstly realised I had accidentally provided my expired card, and secondly, that they had attempted to withdraw money from my account without my knowledge. Due to this mistrust I decided to leave a cash deposit on the condition that the cash was refunded immediately once I checked out. Sally informed me they will have to check the rooms before our bond is reimbursed and this could take 'hours'. I said I was impediment on staying until the room was checked and the bond reimbursed. Sally the 'MANAGER' informed me, that she will not be available until 1030am to reimburse the bond as it is 'too early' for her!!!!! Sally then accused myself and my friends of having marijuana in the rooms, claiming she could smell it. This was completely false with no supporting evidence and I offered for the police to be called immediately to search for the illegal substance. Unsurprisingly, Sally did not pursue the matter any further. However, we could hear her continue to openly accuse my friends and I in the hallway throughout the night and next morning. I was suspicious of malpractice, and adamant to keep the rooms in perfect condition to ensure there was no reason for the bond not to be reimbursed. On checkout, the rooms were in the same state as arrival - the only difference a small (3cmx3cm) patch of water on the carpet from wringing wet hair and dirty towels all gathered together in a neat pile. A 'be back in 15' sign was on the reception counter, so I waited 20minutes. I then rang the bell on multiple occasions to no avail. Fifty minutes later, Sally came downstairs and informed me that I would not be receiving my bond back because the towels used are now dirty and there's also a wet patch on the carpet. I said this was outrageous, they cannot hold $300 for 'dirty' towels and a water patch. Sally said they needed to assess the damage from the water and to the towels before I could be reimbursed my bond. She estimated the damage to be around $50, so I demanded I receive minimum $250 immediately and appropriately receive the remainder once assessed. After much debate and foul language, Sally finally agreed. When I mentioned the mould, carpet stains etc, Sally the 'MANAGER' sarcastically told me to go ahead and tell the department of health and safety.I would not recommend ANYONE to stay at this venue - the backpacker venues within 500metres of The Holiday Lodge are of a higher standard, so there is still budget accommodation available within the location. In summary, the venue is poor, the customer service is disgusting and I do not trust this establishment at all - so much so, that I have cancelled my Visa Debit card in the fear that further withdrawals are made by the hotel without my knowledge. Please also note that prostitutes were frequently in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Chloe T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!! EVER...
FIRSTLY, about the room, We knew we had paid for a pretty basic accomodation, however this room was the size of someone's bathroom. i equate it to a jail cell in Thailand. The appliances provided were a tv from 1968, didnt work, microwave was the very first phillips from1953. there was a desk and small bar fridge, a rancid heater, and bunk beds, with minimal linen on them, uncomfortable pillows, bathroom was rotten, toilet seat was ancient, just DREADFUL

SECONDLY, we paid for three nights in a single room and we checked out 7 hrs later due to the woman's behaviour and abuse. She accused us of having more than one guest in the room and told guests to leave immediately if they wern't staying there, i felt like i was in jail and couldn't have visitors. She started swearing at us, saying we were sneaking people in to the room behind her back, but what sort of hotel doesn't let you bring visitors to the room?????. This was in the middle of the day!!!! she was like a warden from hell
Bottom line is do not stay there unless u wish to be taken full advantage of and scammed and ripped off, My cheap accomodation turned out to have cost me well over what it should have due to misrepresentation on the website of EXTRA GUESTS and cancellation fees.

Room Tip: read bedding configuration and price per person before entering or they ll start charging exta mone...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Michael L

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Looked like an old run down brothel.
Place was disgusting and infested with disease.
We ended up leaving because it was so terrible I would rather sleep in my car.
I would never ever ever ever in 100 million years recommend anyone to stay here.
Not safe at all - definitely not safe for children.

Room Tip: simple, don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
8 Thank Lani B
Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I could right a novel on how bad this place was but I will shorten it. First, our room had never been cleaned for 20 years. The amount of filth on the floor was soo built up that we had to wear shower shoes and turn off the lights so we could not see how nasty it really was. Second, the window was covered in mould as well as the walls, the showers, the floor, the microwave and the tables. These people who run this place are disgusting. Third, the window was broken, the door had fist holes in it, the microwave and all kitchen utensils were unusable becuase no amount of soap could clean them. I felt dirty just being in the hotel. Fourth, the staff was none exsistent, and were completely rude. I have slept outside and felt cleaner then I felt in this place. On the way out we saw the exterminator come to deal with the bug problem. No air conditioning and even if there was I would not use because you might contract TB. I would not let my dog sleep here. Furthermore, I have never written a negative review about any hotel, but this place needs to be condemmend. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Room Tip: "This place is disgusting do not stay here"
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
5 Thank Mike B
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We liked the location could walk to Harbour Bridge and botanical gardens.

Service non-existant. Bed comfortable. Two thin towels for three days - never changed. Noisy even after we changed to a back room. Garbage never collected or room cleaned.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kornelis356
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

This place was terrible, I have stayed in Sydney many times and enjoyed the place. This place, however put a dampner on the trip.
Staff were almost non-existent, the woman who eventually opened the door to us, immediately wanted us to try somewhere else as there had been a leak in one of the rooms (There was no signs of a leak).We wasn't happy with this and a room was found.Straight away! There seemed to be no one else in the 'hotel' whilst we were staying.
Ensuite was the worst I've ever seen and I do Bathroom renovation for a living.
Room decor was skanky at best.
This place needs to be shut down, fumigated and have some owners that give a s***t installed. It is in a great location, very close to underground, eateries, bars e.t.c. Still not worth staying in it's current condition.

Room Tip: Go through the door you came in, up the road and into another hotel/bed and breakfast/house.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Beni81
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

This hotel should not be called a hotel. It is utter filth and I would not wish this mess upon anyone, not even my worst enemy. The rooms smell like mould and the bathroom is even worse. I have felt distressed the whole time staying here. Upon arrival we found dead cockroaches on the floor with more popping up throughout our stay. The only good thing about this place is you want to leave the room all day. No air con/ dirty microwave and toaster. Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed December 2011