“Great value, great location and great staff!”

BreakFree on George
Ranked #96 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 3, 2010

We had a problem with the room we were given which was set up for aged or disabled people - there was no shower screen (only a curtain which finished well above floor level), the shower was on the same level as the rest of the bathroom (so floor would always be wet), and the toilet had a seat but no lid (minor detail, but we prefer the lid closed unless it's being used). We spoke to Nuchie (I wish I could take her home with me!) and another room was provided immediately.
Later, we discovered that the water wasn't very hot for the shower - this was fixed in less than half an hour - even though the maintenance man had been about to leave for the day (the shower had a hidden mixer which had been set to cool for previous guests with small children for safety reasons - a really good feature!).
On our way in on our first morning, we asked Zara about bridge climbs and within minutes, she came to our room with brochures and contact details - nothing was too much trouble.
We enjoyed our stay in Sydney in spite of the dreadful weather, and the Breakfree on George was the main reason we had a good time.
Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Thank you so much for passing on your impressions from your stay at BreakFree on George Hotel.

I was naturally delighted that you enjoyed your stay and especially appreciate the comments on the staff. I will be passing these on to them. Sorry about the maintenance issue, but I am glad you reported them and we were able to have them fixed quickly.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is a vital tool in identifying our performance levels, especially from a guest's point of view, and I really appreciate you taking the time to make these comments.

Thank you again, I look forward to welcoming you back to the BreakFree on George Hotel soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2010

My partner and I and two friends stayed for four nights in a two bedroom apartments at the Breakfree on George.
Before arriving I had been looking at the reviews on here, some great, some not so great.
We had some great and not so great experiences.

Great!
* The location - for doing all the tourist stuff, you can't get a better location, right by the monorail and train stations and paddy's market right across the road!
* The beds and pillows were comphy - a full nights sleep.
* The size of the rooms, accommodated 4 people very easily, and having two bathrooms was awesome!
* The kitchen, was lacking some cooking equipment but it was equiped with the basics.
* The airconditioning, was much needed after spending all day out in the sydney sun.
* Very quiet, some other reviews complained about the noise we were in a room facing George st but didn't have a problem.

Not so great!
* The sign to make up our room was put out for two days and was not made up, when I spoke to reception about it, I was advised that they would get someone to follow up and bring new towels, as this was all we were asking for.
However this did not happen, I went to reception again to be told that you have to advise at the time of the booking if you want your room made up, which I was not advised.
When I asked why the other staff memeber told me it would happen I was advised that he had only been working there for two days, my question was, how come someone in training was left alone to man a very busy reception?
They did however come later in the day with some new towels for us.

* The sewage smell in the lobby by the lifts, I has seen other people note this in reviews, however the smell is still there, anytime you were waiting for the lifts you heard other guests complaning to each other about the smell, in the hotels defence however you can smell this smell when you are walking down the street, you would think that they would work on keeping the lobby smelling fresh.

* Cleanliness in the room was basic, the room appeared clean but on closer inspection there were mould marks in the bathrooms etc.

* No bathplug in the bathroom - spoke to reception and was brought up a new one.

* The dishwasher, was turned it on at 10.00am, spent the day sightseeing to come home at 11.00pm to still have the dishwasger going, I spoke to reception about this, and assume that it was fixed when we were brought the bathplug, we didn't use it again and washed our dishes by hand.
It would have been nice to have a note left to let us know if it was fixed or not.

Overall, our stay at Breakfree on George was Average,for an average priced room it came with some small problems, would I recommend it to others?
Sure if your looking for a great location, then I would stay there.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2010

Thank you for passing on your impressions from your recent stay at BreakFree on George.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to bringing this to my attention and pass on some valuable feedback. I am naturally disappointed to hear about the housekeeping service issues and the maintenance on the dishwasher. Please do accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused.

If time permits, I would also appreciate if you could let me know the room number you stayed in, so I can do a full audit of this room and understand how we missed some basic service items.

In regards to the sewage smell, the issue you refer to in pass reviews has been totally fixed months ago – broken pipe in the building next door. I can only assume that the smell you refer to could have come from general street smell or maybe the cooking smells from the restaurant located in the foyer.

While unable to prevent the disappointment of your stay, I do hope we are given the opportunity to host you again when next in Sydney.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2010

The room was good,but if you have one that looks over Susex Street [like we had] then you put up with some singing from the resturant accross the road till about 10.pm
The bed and pillow were very comfortable. We had a little problem with the TV we rang the desk and a man came up straightaway and got it going [a loose airial lead]. The people on the desk were friendly and very helpful, I would stay there again but I would get a room away from Susex Street or go to the top floor. The rooms are very clean.
Except for the singing from Susex Street I have no complaints, I was very happy with my stay which was 6 days 5 nights.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your impressions from your recent stay at BreakFree on George.

Sorry about the issue with the singing, if you don’t mind I will use your comments in another application to council to have this minimised or stopped. Thank you for your understanding with the TV, we will actually be replacing all TV’s with new LCD TV’s over the next month.

Reviewed November 6, 2010

This hotel is in a great location. A couple of minutes walk to Paddy's Market, China Town, and Darling Harbour. The free city bus is virtually at the door. There is a restaurant at the hotel but we didn't try it, there are so many restaurants and food courts in the area.
Our accommodation was a 2 bedroom apartment. There were 5 of us travelling (2 couples and a 23 y.o. son) so the sofa in the lounge became the bed for the 5th person.
We booked and paid for our accommodation through Flight Centre. As it was so last minute, I rang Breakfree on George to confirm the booking had gone through. The girl I spoke to was extremely helpful. A short time later she rang me back to ask if I was aware that we would have to pay another $145 directly to the hotel for the 5th person when we arrived. I was not aware of this, and the booking confirmation I had been given by the Flight Centre since my conversation with her made no mention of it. It listed the names of all 5 people and the cost and stated that we had paid in full.
I contacted the Flight Centre about this. Our agent sent me an email confirming that we had paid in full I printed this out and took it with me (just in case).
When we checked in I was told again that we had to pay $145 extra for the 5th person and it was put onto my credit card. I produced the email from our travel agent at the Flight Centre, the person checking us in had to confer with some-one else, and then we were told "that's right you don't have to pay" and it was credited off my visa card.
There is obviously a serious flaw in their processes for this to occur. We could very easily have paid an extra $145 that we didn't have to.
The apartment was advertised as being able to sleep 5. That is not to be taken literally. It may be able to sleep 5, but is not really large enough for 5 people to cohabit. When the sofa is made into a bed there is not enough room to walk around it. The sofa is also the only comfortable seating. Two, maybe 3 people can sit on it, and the rest have to sit on dining chairs. This might be OK for short periods, but we were there for 3 days.
Also, all the cutlery and crockery were for 4 people. We contacted reception to ask for another set for the 5th person but never received it.
As we had an early morning flight to catch, we went to reception the night before to organise a wake up call and a taxi for 5. We were told it might not be possible to get a large taxi. So we said fine just order us 2 taxis.
The next morning - no wake up call, and one taxi which could only take 4.
Would I stay there again? Yes, I think I would. It is not the Ritz, but you are not paying for the Ritz. It is basic accommodation in a great location, at a reasonable price.
As far as the check-in process and reception service - let's just say that it leaves an awful lot to be desired.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank WellTravelledTasmani

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your impressions from your recent stay at BreakFree on George.

I am very glad that you would stay again, even though you experienced some service mistakes. Please do accept my apology for the inconvenience caused. I do appreciate your comments, they will be a very useful training tool for my team. We do always want to improve our service levels where we can.

Thank you again for your feedback. Should you care to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would welcome any further comment.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 28, 2010

Found nothing to complain about the Hotel. Very central location, whether going by rail, or bus. or by foot. Friendly reception staff, and nothing was a problem. Studio room on level 7 was clean and tidy, Great value for money!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo

I was naturally delighted that you found the hotel to be great value for money and especially appreciate the comments on the staff. I will be passing these on to them.

This kind of feedback is a vital tool in identifying our performance levels, especially from a guest's point of view, and I really appreciate you taking the time to make these comments.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed in Breakfree for 3 weeks and was very irritated with the number of prostitues in the hotel. It is in the middle Sydney red light area. The area is very crowed and noisy. Not suitable if you are on a serious business. I almost fell ill after coming back to India.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank TravellerOnBusiness1
Reviewed October 21, 2010

My studio apartment 903, on the 9th floor, appeared to have been refurbished recently. Beds beautifully comfortable and spotless carpeting to the floor. I had no problems with street noise with windows shut at night.
The girls working in reception were most obliging. Easy 10 minute walk to retail shopping.
The only fault I could find was the age of the television, leaving you with limited choice of viewing, but for such a reasonable tariff that can be overlooked. Thank You Breakfree on George.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo

I understand your comment on the TV viewing, this is something we are working through for a better choice.