“very dirty, smelly hotel”

BreakFree on George
Ranked #90 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Tacoma, WA
“very dirty, smelly hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

Just returned from Sydney and a stay at Breakfree on George. Our travel agent booked the room for a party of three. It was a nicely appointed two bedroom apartment. This is where my good review ends. The bathroom was dirty: moldy shower,shower curtain, filthy floor (i kept sandals on), crevices where no cleaning had taken place for quite some time. disgusting, really. Then there was the smell: cigarette smoke entering the room from air conditioner or hallway, overpowering smell of shrimp in hotel lobby from the Chinese restaurant on the premises, dingy/ripped furniture. Although the hotel is conveniently located, there must be somewhere else to stay. I did not report these issues to staff, as there were just too many of them. Hopefully, someone reads these comments.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mcan13
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your impression from your recent stay at BreakFree on George.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to bringing this to my attention and pass on some valuable feedback. I am naturally disappointed to hear about the cleanliness of the bathroom and cigarette smoke entering your room. Please do accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused. I do wish you had reported these issues, as we would have liked to address these straight away. We do occasionally miss things, but always do wish to make sure our guest’s stays are as perfect as possible, thus an opportunity to fix would have been preferred.

I don’t quite understand the comment on the ripped furniture, I have tried to locate what you may be suggesting. Further advice would be appreciated.

I do apologise for the Restaurant smell, we have spoken to them about better ventilation.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is a vital tool in identifying our performance levels, especially from a guest's point of view, and I really appreciate you taking the time to make these comments.

While unable to prevent the disappointment of your stay, I do hope we are given the opportunity to host you again when next in Sydney.

Kind regards,

Nathan Quinlan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

we stayed at breakfree on george for three nights last week. the staff were helpful and polite . we stayed in a one bedroom studio appartment. had everything we needed. it was close to all places and an easy walk to surrounding areas. it was a c lean establishment. we would not hesitate to book another stay there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Victoria B
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your impression from your stay at BreakFree on George Hotel.

I really appreciate the comments on the room quality & cleanliness, location, and especially the comments on the staff. Thank you so much for your feedback, it is very important to us as a measure of how well we are performing.

Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

We spent 5 nights here, it was a great place to stay if you want to be close to the main attractions in Sydney, there is a free bus that goes around town if you dont want to walk but this was a short walk from Darling harbour, the main shopping areas and China town. the metro was close by to get to Bondi Beach. Rooms were spacious and clean and there wasa spa and pool but we didnt get time to use them.

The staff were friendly and helpful and there were plenty of leaflets and brochures on local attractions in reception. I would recommend this to anyone going to Sydney for a short break.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you so much for your great review of BreakFree on George, from you recent stay. I was most delighted to read your comments on the helpful service you received.

Location is one of our prime advantages and benefits for guests, as you mentioned, transport links are very easy from our Hotel.

Your feedback is a vital tool in identifying our performance levels and the areas that need improvement, especially from a guest's point of view, and I appreciate you taking the time to make these assessments and comments.

Thank you again for the feedback, I look forward to welcoming you back to BreakFree on George soon.

Yours sincerely,

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

Myself and a friend stayed here for 4 nights and were more than happy with the service. The front reception were wonderful, they let us check in to our room a few hours early which was great as we were tired from our flight. All the staff we had spoken to during our stay were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a studio apartment and it was great for the price that we paid. Will defiantly be back again.

• Stayed September 2011

I was naturally delighted to read your comments on the helpful & friendly staff. I will be sharing your comments with the team, they too will be delighted to have the recognition.

Yours sincerely,

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Stayed for one night with 5 other people. Stayed in a two bedroom apartment. Despite the number of people staying it didn't feel too pokey as there were two bathrooms, a decent kitchen and reasonable living space. Some noise traveled through from adjacent apartments. The beds weren't as comfortable as they could have been. Despite this the motel did have reasonable space for a group, and offered a very central location which was what we wanted.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rbro6610
Thank you for taking the time to make your comments on your stay in the 2 Bedroom Apartment at BreakFree on George.

I am delighted to hear that you found the room to meet your needs. Thank you for the feedback on the beds, we have since replaced majority of beds in the 2 bedroom apartments and added a nice new gecko green feature all in the lounge room.

Should your care to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would welcome any further comment.

Thank you again, I look forward to welcoming you back to the BreakFree on George Hotel soon.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Recently stayed here and found the location convenient, staff very
helpful and professional, and the room clean and tidy, BUT, the noise
coming from George Street was unbearably loud all night!! I have stayed
at numerous inner city hotels in Sydney and throughout the world, but I
have never experienced such noise levels. I stayed on the 3rd floor and
there appears to be no noise reduction in place as you could clearly
hear every little bit of noise coming from the street below. The noise,
combined with the sagging bed and poor quality pillows ensured that no
sleep was had at all and I would describe my overnight stay at this
hotel as horrific. So please, fix your beds, freshen up your pillows and fix the windows to help keep out the noise. I would recommend staying here if you do not value
your sleep, otherwise you will be very disappointed, and tired!!

1 Thank thermopali
NathanQuinlan, General Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
I am naturally delighted to read your comments on the friendly staff, clean rooms and great location, but also very concerned about your comments on the saggy bed, poor pillows and street noise you felt you heard from your room. Naturally this is of concern to me and I would like to be able to address these concerns. I therefore, would really appreciate it, if you could contact me direct, so that I can ascertain the exact room you were in, so we can address these concerns.

We do replace any bed that shows signs of saggy and have a pillow replacement system in place. We have also been fixing a lot of windows in the Hotel to reduce noise issues, but unfortunately we do occasionally miss things, an this is why I would like you to contact me.

Thank you again for raising these concerns.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Husband & I stayed for 3 days as part of our honeymoon. As soon as we walked into the room, the bins were on their sides and there was hair in the bathroom. The room itself was nice, not what we expected, but nice. The bed was hard and gave us both backaches. The noise from the street below was crazy and the street sweeper went past at 3:30am every morning! The whole floor we were on (3) smelt like boiled chicken, but it was gone once in the room. House keeping let themselves into our room while we were in there! We got the fright of our lives when she just opened the door and walked in without knocking. The air con wouldn't turn off and as it was raining, the cold setting was too cold and the warm setting made the room smell like burnt toast. The position of the hotel however is great! It was so close to everything and we could walk anywhere we needed.

Room Tip: Go through a last minute provider. The full room rate is over priced.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time to pass on your impressions from your recent stay at BreakFree on George.

I was naturally disappointed to receive your comments on the housekeeping issues and hardness of the bed during your stay.

Please do accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience or disappointment you were caused. It is obvious we have unfortunately not delivered our service promise to you on this occasion and as a Management team, the issues have been raised to make sure this does not occur in the future.

While unable to prevent the disappointment of your last stay I hope we are given the opportunity to host you again when next in Sydney.