“Great Getaway”
Review of Aanuka Beach Bures

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coffs Harbour
Aanuka Beach Bures
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Melbourne
“Great Getaway”
Reviewed June 1, 2011

This resort right near the Big Banana is a real getaway. Very tropical surroundings and on the beach. The room was great, especially the bathroom with huge spa and glass ceiling. Like most Australian Resorts it doesn't live up to the overseas idea of a resort but this place in summer would be perfect. The rooms are a little dated and yes their are insects but it's surrounded by so many trees and gardens you expect it. It has great pools and grounds for a great summer vacation (indoor pool warm but a little dark). It was too cold for us in May but our daughter still swam. The restaurant was lovely and so was the breakfast. Close to town (5min drive) which also has great restaurants. Visit the Porpoise pool and book a Dolphin Experience - it was magical!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Giggleslea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Only stayed for one night. It was a beautiful room with a king sized bed and a spa bath with glass roofing. Much nicer than what i thought it would be. I thought the bathroom was just beautiful, the bath was really good. The pools and spa were also really nice and very cute with all the privacy you get and waterfalls were great.
Lots of wild life abundant we had a few bush turkey friends that decided to come up to the front door. DVD player was not working, we got someone to come and fix it they came in reasonable time and fixed it straight away, was really happy.
It would have been nice to stay there for a few more days and really explor around the resort a little more. I would love to go back again with my partner as the room we had could have been a really great romantic room. Only downsides i experianced with my stay would have been, having to walk a little bit with no undercover walk way to the bures. Also trying to find the bure was a little challening we got lost on our way to the room which was annoying. Other than that i really cant complain about anything because i had a really great stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abbey444
Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Our stay at Aanuka was pleasant enough - we were looking for some quiet down time in an agreeable location, and by and large that was fulfilled, with the exception of one night, when loud music played from a neighbouring bure, and other guests playing tennis until after midnight made it difficult to rest. I guess we expected more from an establishment that claims a four star rating - our room was clean, and well prepared, but the furnishings are getting a bit tired, and could do with an upgrade. The breakfast, which was included in our tarrif, was palatable, but could only be described as average, and given the four star rating, we would have expected our room to have been serviced at least once during a six night stay. Even the supply of fresh towels after three days would have been appreciated, but apparently you have to stay eight days for that to happen.
The grounds were well kept, and lovely to walk through - tropical rainforest style - and we enjoyed the lagoon pool on a number of occasions, although there could be more deckchairs provided for guests. Staff were on the whole friendly and obliging. Not sure we would stay there again - could probably find better value for money elsewhere. Three stars at a pinch!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KeithH4
sydney
Reviewed April 16, 2010

After staying at Aanuka Beach Resort, which was about $330 a night for a single bedroom bure, we found a website with a booking for Aanuka Beach Bures. The prices were about a third of the resort, but yes, there was a catch. Actually thousands of catches, only we couldn't manage to get them all-cockroaches loved the view so much they decided to squat forever! The internet deal was $120 a night for three nights in a spa bure with a fantastic view of the beach. Sadly I did not get to the beach much, especially on arrival when I opened the door to be greeted by the cobwebs, spiders and many, many cockroaches in various stages of development. Now one or two roaches and a daddy long legs or even a bluetongue lizard does not bother me, but we are talking HORROR story here. The floor had never been cleaned properly, atleast not with a vacuum, so there was dirt, remins from previous guests food, and yes loads of small baby roaches and daddy long legs, so many you squashed them while walking around. The king bed had on a circa 1980 bedspread that had obviously not even been washed for years, let alone the curtains which had stains of previous squashed bugs and other substances. Underneath the curtains were PILES of dead bugs, dirt and yes, more roaches, so the cleaner, who we secretly watched onbiously just swept all floor dirt under the curtains! The bed was another narrative-I pulled off the filthy cover to see even more tiny roaches and a thousand baby spiders crawling around....obviously mum decided to give birth in the bed. Luckily we took our own pillows, as I had read previous negative reviews but thought since we had actually stayed at the resort things might be ok. WRONG! It was 7pm at night after a full 9 hour drive, so even though we wanted to go and stay elsewhere, we were limited in options. I headed into town for bug spray, bleach, a doona and our own sheets, then spent TWO hours cleaning the filthy floor, bathroom and bed. NOT a good start to our holiday at all. After I moved the bed, it was so obvious the place had NEVER had a good clean, pubes, dirt, bugs were so piled up, and daddy long legs had long since claimed the space.The extra bedding in the wardrobe was also covered in spiders, roaches and had huge moth holes in it! The wardrobes were dirty and full of webs and spiders, as was all the wall art.....I had to clean and fumigate the one above the bed, it had not been dusted. Ever. Underneath the furniture, on all tv stands, coffee tables and cane chair lounges, numerous LARGE cobwebs were found, not little but HUGE been ther for five years kind!!! It was The Adams Family living room. We discovered that these bures,managed by a friendly manager named Chas, had split from the resort due to a dispute, hence the lack of proper pest control and basic cleaning. The bure also had roaches breeding in the bathroom cabinets, behind the tissue box in gyprock and in the spa area and kitchen. You could not step on a bathmat or even pick up a face washer without having a "friendly cockroach" hitch a ride. They even loved to shower with you! I kid you not, the place was that disgusting. When we left, I wrote a polite note for the cleaner briefly listing the lack of light globes, the bathroom spa one was out, the roach problem, and the spiders, and dirty bed linen. The cleaner was elderly, had a see through woolies shopping trolley with a few sheets, one bottle of cleaning spray and no vacuum. No clean blanket or bedspread for the next victim/guests, so now you know they never clean anything!!! We watched her sweep out very briefly the bure across from us, waving the borom around and making a bed, reusing the same linen! Nothing was cleaned at all. I had to wonder how owners could be so cheap! The resort cleaners had proper cleaning carts and a vacuum atleast, and took over an hour to actually clean the room. The resort rooms(book through Breakfree) are a bit cleaner. It was such a shame everything was so dirty and filthy, camping would have been cleaner. The view from our bure was wonderful, and if you do chance it and get bure 27 through the booking at Aanuka Beach Bure, I have mopped the floor, cleaned it out and sprayed it, so it wont be as bad as the others!!!! The kids loved the pool, especially the large lizard that took a dip with them, the bush turkeys are a hit too, but the place needs serious pest control, take your own kettle too-ours had a cockroach in it! If you are not worried about not being able to put your foot down without crunching a roach then this is the place for you. BYO baygone, thongs, disposable plates, cups, spoons, sleeping bags, pillows, towels.......YUK. Stay away. There is plenty of better places to stay in Coffs, this one was empty in school holidays-a sign!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank webbyrach
Sydney
Reviewed November 25, 2009

We stayed at Aanuka for the week of the Melbourne Cup 2009. As we had been travelling down from the Gold Coast, my girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to try out the day spa at the resort. We both decided to go. As we had been to day spas on previous occasions we had to take a step back in time on this one!
My girlfriend had chosen a "Togetherness" package, only to be directed to seperate rooms on arrival. Nothing "Together" about that! During my paid time my masseuse interupted my massage several times to answer the phone, returning saying that "we dont normally do this but there were VIP's in the resort." How did she know that we were'nt VIP's.
In between services where guests should be relaxing, all you heard was the clanging and bashing of pots as they cleaned them. The exfoliation, well my girlfriend could've done better with one of those gloves in the shower.
If you are looking for a day spa save your money, if you are heading north to the Gold Coast, or wait till you get back home. Very UNPROFESSIONAL.
This was the only disappointing part of our stay. Aanuka is a great place to stay and we had some enjoyable dinners at the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gunns75
Sydney
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I recently had a wedding to attend at the Breakfree Aanuka Bay Resort. All the accommodation was solidly booked at the resort ... and expensive, with minimum stay requirements.

I was surprised that they negated to tell me that the Aanuka Beach Bures are on location. I called up Aanuka Beach Bures, the manager was courteous, professional and reliable. He explained exactly where the Bures are located, didn't have a minimum stay requirement, offered an early check-in and a late check-out.

When we arrived, the place was all ready to go - clean, neat, great views, and couldn't have been closer to the wedding festivities. Chas(?) was aware of our estimated arrival time and departure, so our mini holiday was a seamless operation!

Great hot tub, good kitchen & laundry facilities, good toiletries, linen, entertainment equipment etc. We'll be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chopmike
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Without a doubt, this is one of the strangest accommodation venues I have ever stayed in. There are absolutely no signs anywhere indicating where this place is or how to get there. On contacting the number on my booking reservation, I was told to drive to a locked carpark and wait for someone to let me in. As this property backs on and shares many parts of the aanuka beach resort many of my thoughts apply to that property too.

Good points.

I stayed in one of their spa bures for 3 nights. It was large, with sufficient space for 2 people and possibly a little one on the sofa bed. The bathroom was huge and very clean (the shower head was also used in the circus to clean elephants). Being surrounded by bush there were a couple of cockroaches in the room, but they didn’t worry me. I didn’t use the spa, and it was a pleasant stroll to the car park and the beach. There is plenty of green surrounding your room which adds privacy and the noise of the wildlife (crickets/cicadas) drowns out any noise from your neighbours. Lots of wildlife to keep the kids entertained.

Not so good points.

Pretty much you were left to your own devices. The rooms aren’t serviced and more interestingly there is no deposit taken. Apart from someone giving you your key, I didn’t see a soul the entire time. Not even at checkout at 9am. There is no in room information telling you about the pools, beach, restaurant, local area – something I feel is a major issue. The gym is tiny and you can’t bill the restaurant/bar to your room. I would stay well away from the place during school holidays (or pick a bigger room if I was going there with kids). Also the beach is not patrolled 8 months of the year (not their fault but if its a concern pick accom closer to a patrolled beach). The aircon in the room is furthest from your bed. I have no idea why they built the room like that. Fortunately, it was cool enough not to need it, but should it be really hot, then I think you would sweat at night. Finally the property is divided by a creek which does breed mozzies. I am not concerned but I recommend getting some repellent.

• Stayed November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank brett-au