“Value and Location”

Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Rockingham, Australia
“Value and Location”
Reviewed November 2, 2010

We regularly travel the Cairns to Sydney route a number of times a year and to save on ever increasing travel costs we try and pick accommodation that is comfortable and value for money. Never plan a trip when the school holidays are in full swing as prices are at least 50% higher and availability limited. Coffs harbour is an ideal stop off as it marks the halfway point between Brisbane and Sydney. Plenty of accommodation options and prices are on average lower than some inland country towns. We stay regularly at the Arosa and we grab a budget room for a couple of nights.The location on the South side of town is better, away from the pubs and clubs but only a 10 minute drive if you fancy doing a bit of shopping. The only negative thing I can say is being on the highway you have to give plenty of indicator warning to any tailgaters as you pull into the entrance.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jetlag56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Vista, California
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I dropped in with no reservation - the hotel parking lot was empty. That should have told me something, but it was a rainy night and I just wanted to get in out of the cold. The hotel was $60 Australian, but I was told I could get a nice upgraded room for $30 more, and I decided to splurge. The upgraded room had no built in heater... Instead, it had a tiny portable space heater sitting on the floor, unplugged. I attempted to call the front desk to ask where to plug it in, since I couldn't find a proper location. They didn't answer their phone. I had to go back to the front desk, in the rain, to ask this question. Their answer was to either:

1) Plug in the heater in the narrow space between the two beds. This was unacceptable because of the obvious fire hazard involved in operating a space heater in close proximity to blankets, linens, etc…

2) Plug the heater into an outlet outside the room and stretch the cord over a bathroom sink into the doorway of the bedroom. This was unacceptable because of the risk of electrocution of running an electric cord through a sink and also a safety hazard to run the risk of tripping over the electric cord to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Bottom line, the manager would not solve the problem and refused to provide a refund. Eventually, he gave a partial refund. I was only in the room for 5-10 minutes and hadn't even moved in a bag yet, but he told me he could not give a full refund because now he would have to clean the room.

This place should be shut down by the authorities, IMHO.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank captainhall

Travelers are raving about these Coffs Harbour hotels

Albany, Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I had to be in Coffs Harbour at short notice for a funeral.
I selected this motel basically on price & it's location (south of the city, on the highway)
After collecting the car from the airport I arrived at the Arosa wondering if I hadn't somehow entered another time dimension.
I wasn't expecting too much & I wasn't disappointed!
The reception office was hidden behind an enclosed dining area & I walked around the whole complex before I found it.
I had just spent at least 18 hours travelling over from Western Australia & I was very tired.
The guy on reception seemed surprised to see me even though I had prebooked & paid for the room.He commented that I 'must be a glutton for punishment' when he realised I had booked for 3 nights.
The room was one of those old style motels from the 1960's a la Norman Bates.
It was clean enough, had plenty of TV stations tea & coffee making supplies so it did the job.
Would I stay again? No because there are plenty of alternatives around
On the upside it was $65 a night so as they say in the classics, 'you get what you pay for'

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank DougFromAlbany
AUSTRALIA
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Recently stayed here, very noisy the bed had the underneath material falling away from it. It had a very bad paint job and also took the air conditioner a few hours to cool the room down. No light bulbs in the lights above the bed so no reading at night. VERY VERY uncomfortable bed. Extremly outdated. Lots more motels for similar price in this area. Not even any facewashers in the bathroom only small towel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VAN_SSAH
Union, Kentucky
Reviewed January 10, 2008

Bad location - right on busy highway, so very noisy. Outdated, dirty. There are so many other great motels that are clean and right on the beach for the same price, so don't waste your money on this one.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MargaretShanghai