“Worst experience ever encounted.”

Ibis Budget Coffs Harbour
Ranked #33 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Reviewed March 8, 2010

we decided to travel north on a spur of a moment and logged on prior to leaving sydney to make a hotel booking as we new that we would be arriving late into coffs harbour. we opted for Hotel Formule 1 for its location and price ! Well of course they say you get what you paid for, but in our case they should have paid for us to stay in such a hotel ! On arrival, reception was closed (this we were aware of) trying to enter our reservation number outside the hotel to enable us to enter did not work, we then rang the bell and it was answered by the manager / owner ?? in a grumpy state, i apologised by saying the machine outside wasnt working, his reply ... nothing works !! he wasnt able to find our reservation and queried when we make it ?? he finally gave us the keys to our room .... a disgraceful state, filthy carpet, filthy bathroom, (the sheets at least were clean) a very hot and humid night, and unable to open the window. the airconditioning was working at a very loud pitch ... we flaked to be woken in a sweat and unable to breath noticed that the airconditioner was on a timer and was switching itself off all through the night, we were woken several times to attend to switching it back on .... Hotel Formule 1 's should look into this seriously, we often complain about the state of european hotels, but this was by far the worst experience we have ever encountered, sleeping in my car at the side of the road would have been more comfortable... babyboomers 47

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BABYBOOMERS47-51

Reviewed December 23, 2009

See my reviews under Formulae 1 and Formula 1. I am happy to answer any emails in regards to this DISGUSTING mess they call a hotel!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank OzPaulCentralCoast
Reviewed December 23, 2009

I have stayed in many hotels around the world and I am sad to say I have found THE worst hotel here in Australia. The owner was making "backhand" comments before I had even checked in. When I got my room it absoutley STANK!. There were fist holes on both sides of the toilet door. I thought I would be able to deal with the smell considering the price and decided to just put it up to experience. After a while the smell become to much. I sat and thought about it for a while and finally decided to take action. I went down to reception only to be greeted by THE most rudest owner I have ever had to deal with. He was having problems with his computer. Granted... I am used to dealing with that. But then he started to argue with his wife in front of me. He eventually got the computer working and checked me into another room. I asked him to come up and smell the room for himself. Upon which he proceeded tp try and pick a fight with me in regards to the state of the room without even seeing it. I thought I would have to protect myslelf just for asking for another room. He waltzed in and said he couldnt smell a thing a made me feel bad for wanting to change rooms. I am now in another of their "splendid" rooms and the smell is just as bad if not worse.
Do yourself a favour and NEVER stay in this hotel. I have been to 39 countries and it is the worst hotel I have ever statyed in.
Formuale 1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Should call it formula SLUM!!!
The pits.. There were other things that happened to me staying here but I am too angry to go on. Please feel free to contact me on my email if you want to know more information on this DISGUSTING hotel. I have made it my personal mission to advise fellow travellers to never stay here. There are other hotels that are actually cheaper in Coffs Harbour that are cheaper, friendlier and better service. I would be happy to tell you about them.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank OzPaulCentralCoast
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Disappointing...expected basic, cheap, clean accomodation...got cheap and basic BUT there was scum around the sink taps, mould growing in the shower, the shower curtain was mouldy, the shower water pooled near the toilet and didn't go down the drain, the door handle to the main door was loose, the air conditioner was dirty and the window latch was broken. The light over the bed was also broken and didn't work. I wasn't expecting 5 star as I've stayed in a lot of YHA's but this place needs a good clean and some basic maintenance. I paid for 2 nights but only stayed 1 because it was so depressing.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Newbytraveller67
Reviewed June 7, 2009

My husband & I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We paid $79 a night and knew it would be basic, no frills accommodation. I must say that generally our standards for accommodation are pretty low. We have stayed at many motels on road trips in Australia. Cleanliness and safety are our priority, and rarely would we complain (especially when paying $79 a night over the Christmas holidays!). There was no problem checking in, though when the manager came out of the office to serve us he reeked of smoke. I believe he'd been smoking in the office even though it's a non-smoking building. When we got to our room it was stuffy (being a 30 degree day) and we immediately turned on the air conditioner. It made some funny noises and then died. We went to the front desk to ask for another room as you couldn't stay in the room, it was so humid and the windows could not be opened. The manager moved us to another room. The next room seemed fine, the air con worked and we started to unpack. It was then we realised there was no remote for the TV and no other way of turning it on. Being cricket season my husband couldn't stand to be without the telly for the updates. We went down to ask for a remote and the manager said he didn't have one. He said he'd move us to yet another room. In the third room, the air con and TV both worked, but it was the mouldy shower recess that grossed us out. Things had been growing there for a while. We put up with it because we didn't want to change rooms again.

Every time we walked through the foyer to exit the building it smelled of smoke, which came from the managers office rather than from outside the building.

I have stayed at far better roadside motels for less than what we paid at Formule1. We would have been happy to pay more, as the price wasn't the issue, but I felt like WE should have been paid to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roaming-wifi
Reviewed December 30, 2008

This is great accomodation if you are only staying one or two nights. I always stay here for one night to break my journey from Sydney to Coolangatta when on holidays. Remember you get what you pay for. The room was clean and small with a single bed on top of a double bed with a 34cm TV and modular bathroom. What attracted me about this place was 3 people for $59.00 to $79.00.
We usually buy pizza and eat it by the pool. The hotel is also conviently located next to a pub. Would not reccomend for long stays.

• Stayed: December 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Staying at the Formule 1 Coffs Harbour has been a journey of pleasant surprises. After researching the internet and finding no available accommodation I took the avenue of the less technically advanced and phoned the Formule 1 and asked for vacancies and their best price. I was informed the price was $59, $10 less than the internet advertised, so I booked for two nights.

Access from the north was difficult but a quick trip through the transit centre I found the turnoff and driveway easily. The building was well lit up and obvious in the dark.

On arrival I was greeted by the friendly manager who arranged the closest room for me as I was traveling with three kids.

Our room was well presented-linen, towels and soap provided. My sleep was very comfortable, just a little muffled noise from the next room.

Breakfast downstairs was reasonably priced at $7 this included beverages, cereal, fruit and toast with a choice of condiments. Unfortunately the coffee from the vending machine was dismal as expected.

I found all the staff to be communicative and friendly. We felt welcome and comfortable during our stay.

As I have family in Coffs Harbour I will be staying at the Formule 1 again. It is cost effective, convenient, comfortable accommodation.

Donna Walker

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)