“A great place to stay with the kiddies, the food was overpriced but beautiful!”

Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

We arrived to find our villa booked was not available, and was placed in a different villa closer to the pool. It wasn't suitable for us, as we have two little children. The reception staff were very understanding that we needed a room that was safer for us to stay in and found us a new room. We appreciated that very much. The facilities were perfect for us. It was close to town, and yet far enough away. The restuarant was fabulous, but too expensive. Having said that, we enjoyed, no loved, each meal. (Although they ran out of limes for our cocktails.) Perectly cooked steak, and the most friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dene_Zahner, General Manager at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, responded to this review, December 22, 2010
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the resort and how the staff accommodated you during your staff, I will certainly discuss reviewing the restaurant and bar pricing with the Restaurant Manager.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

The rooms are in serious need of renovation.
Restaurant is excellent.
Pool is fairly boring.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights this week while I was in Coffs Harbour for business. The Novotel brand is problematic because you can't really 'trust' that you will receive a consistent standard, which is what one expects of a hotel brand. In my experience, Novotel hotels are highly variable in terms of their quality.

I don't think Accor should have branded this particular property as a Novotel. It should really be al All Seasons or maybe, at a stretch, a Mercure. As a business traveller, I expected certain things of a supposed 4 star property that were not available here, specifically a firm, comfortable bed, a modern and clean bathroom and room service options. None of these were available.

I stayed here for business and so my expectations may have been different if I was here for a holiday. It is after all a resort. It had several pools, a 9 hole golf course, and the gardens are very attractive. But I did not have a chance to enjoy any of those.

My colleague and I were both upgraded to one bedroom suites. It's true, as other reviewers have noted, these rooms were a bit musty smelling, but that is something you can get in the damp subtropics (and it rained every day we were there). However, our rooms had clearly been made over recently and had new carpets, new aircon units and new flat screen TVs. Inexplicably though, the beds had cheap, overly soft and ancient mattresses. Mine was so soft I slept on the cushions from the couch on the floor for 2 of the 3 nights I was there (the 3rd night I was so exhausted from lack of sleep I just collapsed in the bed and slept). Why refresh a room if you're going to ignore the most important part of it (i.e. the bed)?

The other main problem was the bathroom. The shower is over a huge plastic spa, which has a toilet next to it. There is no shower screen to speak of. It is difficult to get in and out of and it is not at all comfortable. I can't imagine anyone wanting to use such a tacky spa, but clearly someone did because there was evidence of previous spa overflows in the rotted wood on the bottom of the door and frame which for some reason no one had repaired.

I expect room service at a hotel claiming 4 stars and charging in the region of $200 a night, but you won't get a room service breakfast option at this place. For a set rate of $19.99 you can have a buffet consisting mostly of tinned fruit. I had a bowl of muesli, a glass of fruit juice and a cup of tea from a cheap tea bag which I thought was not very good value.

Others have commented on the dated decor. It's true, it is dated, but the only particular issue I had with that was the absurd bedside lights which don't actually cast any light suitable for reading and the equally absurd work desk which is too high and does not have an easily accessible power point. Again, I suppose they're not really aiming for the business market. Aside from that, I can live with the '80s Golden Girls inspired decor. And in such a large hotel I can imagine it would be very expensive to contemplate a large refurbishment.

Which brings me to my last point: this is a very large resort catering to holidaymakers, many of them groups of young people. That means it can get noisy. But I did find staff helpful in addressing noise complaints.

Like most Australian hotels, this one does not offer free internet and its prices for internet access are unreasonable.

I would not stay here again, and I do not think it was very good value for money. Did I provide any feedback to staff? Well, had they bothered to ask about my stay when I checked out then yes I would have told them my concerns. Since they did not ask, I chose instead to share my experiences on here as a service to others considering staying at this hotel.

The gardens are pretty though.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank scotthumphries
We thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, we are constantly looking at ways to refine and improve our delivery of service and the quality of our product and your feedback will certainly assist in this.
The room bedding is being replaced next year, if the bedding in your room was not suitable please let us know and we could have rectified the problem.
I am sorry that you thought the resort did not meet your expectations, we thank you again for your feedback, and I hope that you may give us an opportunity in the future to serve you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

My partner and I spent 2 lovely nights at Pacific Bay Novatel Resort and found the rooms very clean,modern and comfortable. We had room service and dined in Charlies Resteraunt there and the food and the service was great. We had lovely views and it is a really short stroll to the beach. We will be going back .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

We've had the best time, we only stayed one night on the way to Queensland but I wish we knew if it was that good, would have extended the stay. We will definetly be staying there again. Would highly recommend it.. The landscaping was gorgeous, atmosphere was great, service was professional and the food at breakfast was Yum ....

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family