“Very pleasant comfortable stay”

Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort
Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Reviewed June 19, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights in a Bayside Wing (although you cant see the beach for the trees) upper floor room which consisted of a very comfortable lounge room with a seperate bedroom (king sized bed), lovely big balcony for reading with a great view, and a bathroom, with the basin seperate in the dressing room area which we liked. I must comment that the spa bath/shower may be extremely difficult for anyone that was not too agile as it was a very big step over the edge.

Both the bedroom & the lounge had flat screen TVs with very good reception. While the decor is rather dated & needing some TLC, it is of a high quality. Surprised there were no bathrobes supplied. Great to have access to your own washer & dryer (very new).

The breakfasts were of a reasonable standard (great pancakes), and nice view. We dined in the restaurant for dinner both nights and found the food of a very good quality (especially my husband loved the Brains!) And very good service by the staff.

Not situated far from the highway, but no problem at all with noise - could only hear the waves from the beach, which were a nice little stroll away.

The minor hiccup we had on arrival was dealt with professionally and to our satisfaction. If ever in Coffs Harbour again would have no hesitation in revisiting the Novotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JKS2000
Dene_Zahner, General Manager at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2010

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the resort, and were happy with the facilities and service. I will share you comments with our team as it will certainly serve as a great form of encouragement for for them. We thank you again for your kinds words and look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not to distant future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,172)

Reviewed May 18, 2010

The grounds of this hotel are beautiful, they seem however to have forgotten about the state of the dirty out-dated rooms and the awful customer service, so, fine if you are there to golf but if you want to shower and sleep I wouldn't bother. I'm maybe being unfair as I don't know what the other hotels are like in Coffs and maybe there isn't much choice, but regardless, if you're paying 2009 hotel prices you expect a 2009 hotel! Especially from a huge chain that can afford to re-decorate. If it had just been clean I would have forgiven it but it was dirty dirty dirty.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JaniPK
Dene_Zahner, General Manager at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2010

We thank you for recent feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, we are constantly looking at ways to refine and improve our delivery of service and the quality of our product and your feedback will certainly assist in this.
As mentioned in pervious responses we are currently working on a schedule for rooms improvements which will encompass various areas of the room.
Thank you for your comments about the grounds of the resort as our team works extremely hard to maintain the surroundings areas and golf course to a high standard and it is feedback like this that will serve as encouragement for their efforts.
Please feel free to contact me direct in regards to the cleanliness of the room as you have not indicated in any detail the problem areas.

Reviewed May 9, 2010

We were extremely dissapointed in our stay at this hotel, so much so we checked out a day early even though we had paid. Rooms very average and noisy with doors slamming from the configuration of the 2 doors in the bay area as acoustics shocking.Very annoying that facilities are so far from the accom as in buying a news paper, situated at golf shed and meals. Spent the 3 days drenched getting to and from.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blissyb
Dene_Zahner, General Manager at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2010

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, we are constantly looking at ways to refine and improve our delivery of service and the quality of our product and your feedback will certainly assist in this.
As the resort is spread over 42 hectares not all pathways are covered, and in the event of rain we do provide umbrellas in each room for guest use.
We thank you again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

I stayed overnight at the Novotel Pacific bay resort on the way to Byron Bay. We arrived mid afternoon in Coffs Harbour and could go straight to our room. We had a one bedroom spa suite in Bayside. I asked for a quiet room as I knew from previous experiences that the traffic on the Pacific Highway can be very noisy at night. We slept very well (even with open windows).
The bathroom is fairly basic .The vanity is fitted between the bathroom and the bedroom , with no sliding door to separate from the bedroom..
The bed is extremely comfortable but takes most of the room...so, you have to be tidy and put your bags away !!
There is a double sofa bed in the lounge room.. .There is a foldable divider between the lounge and the bedroom.
we did not use all the facilities as we stayed only one night but went to Charlies restaurant and had a lovely meal. The atmosphere is quite cosy and the staff friendly. Breakfast is also served there and the lookout over the pond and the manicured lawns is charming. Room service is available but, you will be charged $10.00 delivery.
The resort is vast and spreads out.
The reception staff was friendly and professional. Check in and check out very fast.
I stayed again overnight on the way back !

1  Thank pocahontasAustralia

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the resort, your feedback will certainly serve as encouragement for our team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not to distant future.

Reviewed April 27, 2010

I travelled there with my daughter and two children aged 4 and 6.
The previous reviews were a bit worrying but we were pleasantly surprised.
The room had a 2 flat screen tvs, one in the bedroom and both had cable tv which was great for the kids.
The washing machine and dryer may have been a bit dated but all in all the room was clean and bright.
The kids enjoyed the large pool (one of 3) although one was being revovated and unavailable at the time.
The food was excellent at the restaurant and best of all the service was excellent 10/10.
The waiter was attentive and brought the kids food first along with colouring pencils and colouring in sheets.
The prices were very reasonable and I'd highly recommend the steaks, so juicy and perfectly cooked.
I'd recommend to anyone although we found the Aanuka Beach resort better but the price was also quite a bit higher.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Dene_Zahner, General Manager at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2010

I thank you for recent feedback regarding your recent stay with us, we are constantly looking at ways to refine and improve our delivery of service and the quality of our product and your feedback will certainly assist in this.
I will share your comments with our team, and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our service at the resort.

Reviewed April 12, 2010

We got married here last October and it was a beautiful wedding due to the stunning grounds! The restaurant and service was so impressive, and we are used to 5 star resorts and award winning Melbourne restaurants. So when we decided to stay here recently through Accor (while relocating back to Melbourne), we already knew the resort well (all except the actual hotel rooms).

Reading past reviews, I think people were a little picky, i.e. the TV reception. Coffs is renowned for bad TV reception, trust me, we've lived here for a year! We were put in a beautifully refurbished room on the 7th floor overlooking the lagoon and pool. Very impressed with the bed (wow, so soft!), bathroom, new laundry whitegoods, flat screen TV in the lounge. Although I'm really surprised they didn't update the Air Con units!? They are SO noisy! I absolutely agree the resort is very outdated, but it's obvious they're slowly upgrading everything, but $280 (the discounted rate!) for a one bedroom is HUGELY overpriced!!! I would never even pay that in Melbourne city, so I definitely wouldn't pay that here, I'm glad we have an Accor membership.

I absolutely love the grounds here, nice and green with palm trees and lots of frangipani trees. The Charlies Bay pool is great (although the bar never seems to be open) and I understand they're currently upgrading the pool and seating (very much needed). The restaurant is extremely overpriced, but the food is nice (we only had lunches on our stay), and was well above average for our wedding! There's a nice toddler pool, walks around the grounds, a playground for young kids as well as the kids club at $35 for 3 hours (one session). The beach is nice to walk along and VERY beautiful during sunrise, I highly recommend going down if you're an early riser (or have young kids!).

They need more security in the car park, I've read numerous times in the local paper of car break ins where thieves have stolen GPS Navigation, so I'd recommend taking anything valuable into the room with you. I didn't notice any cameras in the car park, if not, it's very surprising, most resorts around have secure car parks. Also, the car parks are VERY small which I found very annoying because I LOVE my car :) The gym I didn't use, but my partner said although the equipment is VERY old, they seem to have everything you need. And although I really wanted to go to the spa, it was again overpriced (which you'd expect from a resort I suppose), a 30 min massage for $50, and this was the special!

Overall I really enjoyed my stay, and I think it was because we had such a great room, if it had been one of the older rooms it would have been an entirely different review! And having a kitchen saves you having to eat at the restaurant every time (you have to drive to get to any shops). My 2 year old always had something to do, either swimming, walking to the beach, on the playground, riding her bike along the paths. I really do love the grounds here!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Dene_Zahner, General Manager at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2010

Thank you for your comments about the grounds of the resort as our team works tirelessly to maintain the surroundings areas and golf course to a high standard and it is feedback like this that will serve as encouragement for their efforts.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

We (luckily) stayed just one night at this resort and were 'wooed' by the hotel website and imagery. One tip - dont believe any of it. This place is stuck in the 1970's and needs millions of $ spending on it. On arrival we were 'upgraded' to an apartment room which we were excited about until we saw it - lots of old style wood and a general feeling of being unclean with the most horrific spa bath! The resort is out of Coffs Harbour also so doesnt win many points on location. My advice would be to stay well away from here and look at better resorts around. We will be wring to Novotel/Accor HQ to understand why the room rates are so high on a property so poor in quality!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PROUDYORKIE
Dene_Zahner, Dene Zahner at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2010

We thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, we are constantly looking at ways to refine and improve our delivery of service and the quality of our product and your feedback will certainly assist in this.
We are upgrading the rooms, new LCD TV’s have been installed, new curtains and air-conditioning units have also been installed in some rooms. Carpet and bedding are some of the next items to be upgraded at the resort.
We are located on the northern side of Coffs Harbour which is approximately a 5 minute taxi fare from the centre of town or 5 minutes from the jetty strip which consists of local cafes and restaurants. Once again I thank you for your feedback, and I hope to see you back at the resort in the not to distant future.