“A nasty reminder of what hotels were like in the 1970s...”

Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort
Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Sydney, Australia
“A nasty reminder of what hotels were like in the 1970s...”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Firstly, Accor should be ashamed of themselves to brand this property a Novotel. I know that Novotels can be inconsistent at the best of times, however this property takes the cake and is almost a complete joke.

Let me start off with a compliment (as the one I do have will get out of the way quite quickly) and say that the grounds the hotel is situated in is beautiful. They appear to be very well manicured and really do add to the feeling of being on a small island resort in the tropics. The hotel's reception and restaurant complex is located away from the rooms (beware, there is a $10 room service delivery fee.....seriously!) and is sunken into one of the lagoons, next to the golf course.

Unfortunately for Novotel, lovely manicured surroundings don't help when your room is old, mouldy and smells. The majority of this hotel has not been touched since the 1970s or 80s. The rooms are dimly lit, smell of mould and seem to be laced with a layer of dust. The furniture is old and decrepit - the wicker chairs which I haven't seen in a hotel in 15+ years have their varnish worn off and the lounge was creaky, dirty and uncomfortable.

Moving into the bathroom, the flyscreens were covered in dirt with dead bugs at the bottom of the windowsill. The shower screen was covered in mould and wearing away at the bottom (see pictures) and the spa was so old that it was beige.

The bedside tables and door tracks leading to the balcony were also covered in dust and dirt.

The kitchen and laundry fittings had to have been at least 20+ years old, (beige handles and accents) and I would have been weary to put anything I was planning on eating later in the fridge. I boiled the kettle and washed a mug 4 times before making a cup of tea just to make sure it was clean.

If you do make it through the night, be alert at breakfast: there are no name cards on the buffet! With some random options that looked like a few dishes mixed together, anyone with dietary requirements better be careful.

This hotel comes highly recommended if you want a reminder of what the tourism industry offered 30 years ago. If not, avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Michael A
, General Manager at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
We thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, we are constantly looking at ways to refine and improve our delivery of service and the quality of our product and your feedback will certainly assist in this.
As mentioned in pervious responses we are currently working on a schedule for rooms improvements which will revitalise the look of our rooms. I will speak to the Executive housekeeper and Maintenance Manager in regards to the issues you experienced in the room and I do apologise for this.
We do have electronic picture frames on the buffet that describe the different dishes that are available on the breakfast buffet.
Thank you for your positive feedback in regards to the resort grounds, I will pass them onto the grounds staff.
Once again I thank you for your feedback, and we hope that we you can give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Kind Regards

Dene Zahner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I found the resort to be very clean and comfortable and would have liked to stay longer, but it was only overnight for us. The only thing I would have liked would have been maybe another place to eat a bit more casual. Overall alovely resort and hope to go back for a week some time this year

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed here in November 2008 but judging by the latest reviews it seems nothing has changed. I booked a short stay here at a discounted rate. The discount was given if I attended a one hour presentation of the Accor time share properties. I was fooled into thinking the photos on the web site would be the type of room I would be staying in. It wasn't. The latest photos that depict the decor are accurate; straight from the 70's. The carpet and walls were heavily marked. I did take photos at the time but they were too depressing to keep.

A short time after my arrival I did call reception to ask about the vast difference in what was advertised and what I actually got. A staff member came to my room but I was essentially told that I had booked a Garden view room, which is what I got. The "Garden View" was basically jungle hanging into the small balcony.

After I had checked in I was given a map of where my room was. You know things are going to get interesting when you have to be given a map of how to get to your room. While the grounds are well maintained, entering the room complex was akin to walking into a housing commission block; run down, old, not looked after. The atmosphere is depressing.

The next morning I attended the one hour presentation and shown an Accor member room, which was modern and light, unlike the room I was given.

I really was let down by the perceived deception in the hard sell; I basically felt like they were saying, "You've been given an old run down room but if you join up you can get rooms like this".

As mentioned, I stayed in late 2008 but just thinking about this place and how I felt at the time brings back pretty clear memories, not good ones either.

If you're an Accor member you'll probably get a nice room, if not, you may get the Housing Commission rooms.

I can't comment on the restaurant or anything else as they were overpriced and did not want to waste any more money.

I have returned to Coffs Harbour several times since and have not stayed here and never will again.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before making any payment to avoid dissappointment.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Colleen_249
, General Manager at Novotel Coffs Harbour Pacific Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Since 2008 we have been upgrading the rooms, new LCD TV’s have been installed, new curtains, bedding and air-conditioning units have also been installed in some rooms.
The Accor Vacation club rooms have also been upgraded since 2008, and the we are also working with the body corporate in regards to washing and painting of the accommodation towers.
Once again I thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards