“Great family resort”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Nowra
“Great family resort”
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We had stayed here before and had a wonderful time, it's always a bit of a worry going back incase your experience is not as good. Must say had as good as time as the first and our son was 10 instead of 6. Stayed in a two bedroom spa apartment which thank goodness was in the bure end of resort and not highrise (well two level) end of resort. Love the bush and birds and lizards if I wanted to live in apartment style would have gone to surfers. Anyway room was great, clean and modern, lovely bathroom. Didn't feel the need to leave resort but did with friends who didn't find the available food as nice as what we did. I agree with other reviewers that it's a worry how many non staying kids end up off the beach and in the pool area. Access should only be allowed with swipe of rooms key or care, updating in the are is required. Pools are not suppervised and even some kids staying at the resort are unsuppervised by parents who are quite happy to have there kids out of the hair for the day. Staff at each pool is a must. Even some awful parents where bring bottles of beer to side of pool and nothing done by staff until I went and complained, the way some kids where behaving was amazing that pool didn't have to be emptied and glass removed. All in all though as long as you're taking care of your kids you'll have a great time. Would go back again probably without the friends in tow.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2015
Thank you for your Feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I got a great rate for Aanuka on Hotelclub.com (and the place I usually stay in was booked out). I stayed with my teenage son in a 1 bedroom Paradise Spa Bure for $180 per night (including full breakfast).

The resort is in a fantastic location and has direct access to the beach. It is a massive resort and it set-up in two parts. The village is a resonable walk from reception and appears to cater most to families. It includes tennis, massive pools, kids club and playgorund. There are then a number of groupings of private bure's closer to reception - these seemed to be filled mostly with couples.

The room was very close to reception and very private. It was clean and well furnished and the beds were exceptionally comfortable (and I am fussy).

The reception staff were excellent and simply could not do enough to help. The room was meant to have twin (split king) beds, however the king was still in one piece. Housekeeping had left, reception staff came down with linens and made-up the sofa bed (free of charge) - which actually suited us better.

The additional services were great, in-room Wi-Fi worked a treat, DVD's from reception, mini-golf and tennis - not many reasons to leave. The pools were also very impressive.

I was disappointed with the Service in the restaurant at breakfast - there were no tea spoons three days running (each day I was told they were 'running short on them today'), staff were packing-up and resetting tables around people who were eating breakfast (and hour before it finished). There were a LOT of flies in and around the buffet. This is the ONLY negative during our stay.

The resort was built in the '80's and is probably in need of some updating, but overall I was very impressed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank JulesOZBrisbane
Canberra
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We decided to stay here because we got it at a great price. There are good points and bad points. I'll start with the bad:
This place is absolutely huge and really spread out! Our 2 bedroom spa villa was right down the town end - quite a long walk along a maze of paths to reception and swimming pools. There is also not much privacy in the villas. Windows face onto walkways and there is an outdoor paved area with table and chairs but no courtyard wall or fence, so everyone who walks past can see you. The clothes dryer and dishwasher in our apartment sounded like trucks, and need to be replaced. Apart from right up near reception there is a road to cross and a bushy reserve between the villas and the beach. We decided to lash out on our final night and go to the fancy restaurant. The view was beautiful but the food was very disappointing for the price. The main pool near reception and the cafe seemed really dirty when we were there - my daughter ended up with an ear infection (but maybe that was just bad luck!)
The good points:
Very comfortable spacious 2 BR villa. Great beds.
Food at the cafe was delicious and good quality and although not cheap, prices weren't way over the top. And we did charge to our room.
Good drinks prices at Happy Hour.
Very close to Park Beach where there is a great shopping centre (and medical centre!)
Lots of wildlife running around

All in all we had a wonderful time, and I recommend staying here if you get a good deal.

2 Thank Michelle66Canberra
Sydney
Reviewed February 10, 2010

This is a stunning resort, very beautiful, the beach wonderful, the pool on the other hand, somewhat of a nightmare, dont bother going there during the day unless you want to be bombarded with kids everywhere. i dont think 90% were even resort residents, and its not policed at all. They need someone policing the pool area. There are a lot of freeloaders at this resort. The beach is stunning, breakfast stunning, the spa bure, unbelievable, ours was clean tidy, nice addition was that when we arrived it was 38 degrees outside, and the aircon was on and the room nice and cool when we arrived. If your a couple spa bure is the way to go. We had quiet nights to sleep was never a problem. It would be nice if the adult pool had only adults in it, especially considering there is a kids pool with a waterslide and all, just a few mins walk away. Lots of wildlife, hardly any spiders or webs, we saw lizards, turkeys, birds, the plant life is amazing. Overall great resort, we were sad to leave, but if your a couple make sure you go during a school term. School holidays, family's just take over the joint, plus the outsiders as well, its absolutely crazy.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ijaz81
brisbane
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Nighmare experience!, would never go there again. Room door open on returning from a very short walk. No evidence of any forced entry and we made sure the room was locked as we decided to go for a short walk as the noise of a party next door was too loud to go to sleep at 11pm.The restraunt manger reported to us that he hired the room out to some friends to have a poker night.!!!! Not the quiet relaxing get-a- way that i was expecting! Came to back room door opened and all my valubles taken. Security guard on parole said he didnt have time to come and help as he only had 10 mins to spend in the resort before he moved on. NO CCTV footage availabe, as the hotel didnt have it turned on. Hotel manager very rude and just wanted to avoid dealing wth the whole situation. Lost over $8000.00 that weekend in valuables and costs to replace items and get keys changed in car and home (they took handbag and car keys and house keys). Safe key then snapped in half just to make matter worse and Safe too small to place all valuable stuff in other than two small wallets. Hotel insurance compay just keep quoting "The Inkeepers Act" and have not negotiated any liability. Because they display the inkeepers act they will not accept any liabilty.
Dont go there if you want to have a quiet, relaxing weekend.
we also booked the couples massage package in the spa but it goes straight onto the pool area which is very noisy! not a relaxing massage by any means.
NIGHTMARE, NIGHTMARE COST ME A FORTUNE NIGHTMARE

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank denholml
australia
Reviewed January 28, 2010

My friend and I travelled up to Aanuka last week for a well deserved break. After reading all these reviews on this site I was 1/2 disappointed before I arrived!
So we arrived to be greeted by one of the receptionists, very welcoming and helpful-asked if we'd like help with our luggage even!
Our Spa Bure was close to everything, pools, bar, beach access, tennis etc. I was impressed already!
Our Bure was amazing, after expecting dirty dishes, shower/spa, etc i was very pleased. gorgeous furniture, massive spa, clean kitchen and utensils, king bed, all we needed for a relaxing holiday!
We got straight to it and explored the resort, to which we found 5 pools all landscaped like nothing I've ever seen before!
We were served drinks at the pool and they DID charge it to our room! The cocktails were awesome!
I found the staff were most helpful - happy to meet your every desire. I have learnt to not always believe what you read , as our trip was most pleasurable and memorable, in fact we are already planning our next trip there !!
I would highly recommend Aanuka Beach Resort to traveling friends, couples and families . I am a fussy person and they made my holiday exactly what it should be! RELAXING!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank duffy86
Thank you for your Feedback.
Newcastle
Reviewed January 18, 2010

Upon arriving I spoke to my 10 year old son about the kids club for children aged 2-12 year olds. The staff member at reception interrupted me and said that he wouldn't like it, as it was for younger children around 4-5. I brought to his attention that it stated on the kids club roster there that it was 2-12. No he wouldn't like that it is for 4-5 year olds.
We stayed close to the kids club and in the week we were there it was always closed and empty. I wondered if it even existed except on a piece of paper and and an empty room full of kids stuff.
Upon opening the door to our apartment I noticed the leaves and dirt on the floor, apartment obviously not cleaned. Finger marks on the TV, walls and doors. Dried milk and food on the table and coffee table. The paint on the stairwell was chipped and the stair carpet was badly stained. There was a long black hair on the toilet bowl in the ensuite bedroom and spiders in the spa bath, with mould in the grout. I called reception who sent the manager for cleaning around to the apartment to clean it. She arrived promptly and wasn't that interested in what I had to say. She asked if we would like another apartment and I said no I would just like this one cleaned.
We left her to get supplies from town. Only to arrive and find the door ajar with no cleaner in sight. Apartment smelt nice but not very different although the floor had been swept. Later that night I had a shower in the main bathroom. The shower had soap scum on the floor tiles and on the shower screen. There was black mould in the grouting and all around the shower doors. As the days progressed a mound of dirt appeared on the bathtub which grew daily. This was due to the massive ant problem we had in the apartment. The bedrooms always smell musty in the mornings and it became apparent that this would most like be due to the massive black mould problem in the stair well, which bowled you over every time you opened the door. In the laundry when I moved the laundry basket, it became apparent the the laundry basket most likely hadn't been moved for maybe several years as the dirt, sand and fluff from the drier was thick enough to make a dooner for the master bedroom.
The apartments are airconditioned as stated, unfortunately they are only air conditioned upstairs. There is one very insipid ceiling fan downstairs that goes click click click click click click the entire time it is on. To make things worse you will need to sit on towel because without it you stick to the extremely uncomfortable vinyl lounge.
Our apartment was covered in spiders everywhere.
On a happy note the beds were very comfortable.
The staff were pleasant enough and very helpful when buying cocktails and meals by letting us know what not to buy!
The pool closest to reception was a civilised warm temperature, but unfortunately the lounges around the pool like our bathroom were mouldy.
The meal was less than impressive and when you are paying good money for a meal, it shouldn't be too much to ask that your meal not be served with birds eye oven steak chips. When you pay double the retail price for a bottle of wine with your meal, there is an expectation that the food that you eat will be tasty and not served with frozen chips from the local supermarket.
When you pay close to $100 per night per person for four people, you really should be getting what is advertised as a four and half star rated accomodation, not what is obviously 3 maybe 3.5 star. It would seem that our apartment was no where near a 4.5 star accomodation and I would be careful in future that when booking accomodation that I ensure that my accomodation hasn't been self rated. If Aanuka is not self rated, I would guess that it has been a very long time since the rating was done and these guys should be very afraid when they come due again for rating. Although I am sure they must be self rated.
Unless you like to spending almost $2500 to stay in a filthy mould ridden apartment and like to pay exorbatant prices for meals cooked from the frozen food section of your local supermarket I would recommend you not stay at Aanuka. And remember that the kids club is only a figment of their imagination.

2 Thank ToJoNewcastle