“Quiet haven!!!”

BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Reviewed June 16, 2013

From someone who has always loved the idea of holidays, but not the reality of the lack of sleep that usually goes with it, thank you Aanuka!!! Being a light sleeper, I always have trouble with noise, beds and light where ever I stay. Aanuka is the FIRST (!!!) place I've ever found where there was no noise to keep me up all night. :-) There was no plumbing or air con noises to be heard from any overhead tenants (benefit of no overhead neighbor from duplex type arrangement rather than condo units).
The beds were great - also a pleasant surprise that is going to bring me back! There was minimal light from outside because there was no high lights to shine in the bedrooms. (I bring dark brown shower curtains and pegs with me whenever I travel to shield out these lights. This was the first time in quite a while that I could have done without them).
Yes, you have to walk a distance to your unit, but its mostly covered from the rain; its one that is pleasant and well-maintained and there's no steps to climb (other than inside your unit to the bedrooms), so I don't think there's a need for help with luggage unless you are an invalid. For me, the short walk is a tiny (!!) price to pay for a good night's sleep!
This was a perfect place for young and older families. With our two teens, we used the tennis court a lot, but they had great facilities for younger kids!
The only disappointments for us was that the 'gym' consisted of only 3 or 4 items (my 17 y/o son liked the idea of keeping up his training, so was very disappointed). I think that the cockatoo should have finer mesh at the lower part of the aviary so that kids aren't tempted to poke fingers in (my 13 y/o should have known better, but younger kids wouldn't. Like all parrots, it had a very nasty beak that drew blood easily).
Overall, lovely spacious units - beautiful garden surrounds - perfect for families young and old. Very happy! Look forward to our trip this year. (I convinced hubby to give Coffs another go, rather than another destination because selfishly, sleep is a higher priority for me than going somewhere new!) ;-)

Room Tip: We chose the two bedroom with the courtyard. Although we didnt use the courtyard, maybe it helped t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa H
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2015

Thank you for your valuable feedback!

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Although the resort is a little "tired" the rooms still have a great layout and are roomy and very clean. I stayed there on 6 June 2013 in a 2 bedroom bure and in March I stayed in a 2 bedroom townhouse. Loved both. Beds were very comfy (including pillows). ALL staff were courteous, very professional but most of all they were genuinely friendly. You cannot go past the restaurant! Absolutely one of the best restaurants I have eaten at. The service was also to be commended. The bar staff could not have provided a more friendly or helpful service and nothing was too much trouble for them. . Don,t let the "tired "aspect deter you from this very beautiful and well designed resort. The staff will make you feel welcome and you can totally relax. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Both rooms I stayed in were great. The Bure is closer to the pool and restaurant than the townhouse
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Sharon B
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Sharon B
Thankyou so much for your review you have left us with! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Aanuka!
We are about to start a massive re furb here at the Resort so that will see some big changes here at Aanuka, and I must say that myself and the staff are very excited!
I will be sure to pass your comments onto my team regarding your stay and I will pass your compliments onto the Chef.
We look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Family stay with an infant in a 'paradise spa Burke' room. Room was spacious and private, decor was tired but very clean & comfortable. The overall layout of the hotel was great and close to beach. This was a winter stay so no swimming in the many outdoor pools. Daily breakfast had a good variety and dining room was very clean. No issues with staff and were also helpful with requests.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MBCB
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Dear MBCB,

Thankyou for your glowing feedback you have left us with on tripadvisor! I am pleased to hear that you got to enjoy your holiday here with your family here at aAanuka, our Resort is approx 25 years old now and we are constantly updating our facilities and re furbishing our rooms, Allways keep in mind that our pools are also heated over the school holidays... I will be sure to pass your comments onto our lovely staff... we look forward to welcoming you back when you next decide to holiday with us!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The reservation customer service was abysmal. They were rude, unhelpful and refused to acknowledge their faults. The two bedroom I stayed in the first night was a hike to get there from reception (no assistance with bags to rooms especially when it is needed in the rain as there is little shelter) and the shower was pathetic. I highly recommend walking a few feet and going next door to the Novotel.

Room Tip: Go next door to the Novotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank J C
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that you feel this away about the resort. My understanding is that we tried very hard to make you happy while you were here and even you yourself agreed that your wedding was perfect we have passed on these comments to our staff.
At time of booking the room booked was room only and not the bed & breakfast rate, we sent through confirmation emails to confirm your booking which included this information.
We do not offer portrage here at the Resort, and when possible we are happy to offer assistance with a golf buggy that we share with all departments but of course due to the resort being over 18 acres you will need to communicate this with us.
There are 6 car parks spread along the length of the resort, at most you would be a 1-2 minute walk from the car park to your room. Each car park has ‘airport’ trolleys to assist guests with luggage. Most of our guests enjoy the resort and walking through our lush sub-tropical gardens. At most from one end of the resort to the other is a 5-6 minute walk (depending on your mobility).
We truly only wanted the best for you and your guests and I believe we delivered this on the day with your guests very happy with their stay and the wedding event as you said yourself was fantasic.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This place is awesome for the family holiday but quiet enough for the romantic couple. Aunuka Beach Resort has lots of open space, lots of flora and fauna and lots of activities. It is spread out - to reach my unit I had to walk about 400 metres, cross a bridge over a natural river and then pass an onsite water park. The natural environment and landscape really are the "star" with the accommodation areas blended into the background.

Admittedly it is spread out and a bit of a hike from the carparks - however I prefer this privacy to a view of a carpark or office building that you get in the city. My unit was clean, stylish and comfortable with the ceiling fan on when I first entered which I appreciated. The bed was firm and comfortable. The conference facilities were first rate and the catering was excellent both at breakfast and in the event centre. Wifi access is available but I had trouble connecting. Will cost you about $20 each way for a taxi to/from the airport.

I was only there for a 2 day conference but will return with my family for a longer stay.

Room Tip: If you are there for a conference and require multiple access between your room and the event centre...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thankyou so much for your feedback you have left us with! I am so happy to hear that you had an an amazing holiday with us! We do cater for all types of families here here at Aaanuka and it is easy to do so as we are set on 15 beautiful acres... I am so happy that you got time to take in the beauty of our grounds and surrounds...

we have 6x carparks in the resort, so you are not usually a far stroll to your apartment from your car, I will pass your feedback onto our Conferencing department regarding our facilities, in the future if you have trouble connecting to the net, please see one of our lovely Reception staff who are more than happy to help.
We really look forward to welcoming you back when you next decide to holiday on the Mid North Coast

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have travelled around the world and have stayed in Gypsy ridden backpackers outside of Rome better than this.
We went to check in with a small baby - they promised room would be ready earlier (ie. 12nn) as I had confirmed various times in writing and on the phone, but it wasn't. Best to list what was wrong instead of an essay
Room was ready 1 and a half hours AFTER check in time
Staff indifferent
Room flooded as it was in a gully
DVD Player didn't work
Cot didn't arrive as requested on booking
Cot cost $60
Room was filthy
Breakfast next day - "FRESH" juice was so off it was like wine
We stayed later at another wedding just up the road and couldn't fault it - if you are going, to Coffs stay at the Resort a few km's north.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Missy R

Dear Missy R,

We always appreciate recieving constructive feedback which helps us to maintain and improve our standards as well as meet and exceed guests expectations.

In regards to guaranteeing an early check in, well this does not happen as we can never "guarantee" that your room will be ready before 2.00pm, but you are free to use the facilities of the Resort if you do arrive earlier than 2.00pm.
If you ever do have any housekeeping or maintenance issus with your room during your stay, just a quick call to reception and we will have this rectified immediately

Due to the high standards required of our housekeeping team, issues such as these are very rare occurances. we have forwarded your comments onto our housekeeping department.

The hire of a cot is $10 per night and not $60 - unless of course you stayed for 6 consecutive nights..

we do apologise that you come across a few hurdles during your stay but most of these hurdles were fixable on the spot.

We hope to see you again as I would like to offer you a 10% discount off your accomodation if you do decide to holiday with us again

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 8 nights in April. Our apartment although getting tired was comfortable and clean. Every now and then the ants marched through but always followed by rain. My kids loved the place and I had to repeatedly tell them, no we couldn't buy it and move here. Although that particular apartment was for sale. We loved walking around seeing the water dragons and bush turkeys. The pools were too cold for me but everyone else swam constantly and had a ball on the water slide. The beach a short stroll away was gorgeous and the water there really warm. Recommend a long board. We played a few games of tennis and checked out local drives. We had breakfast as part of our deal. The food was good, could have been better. We ate in the restaurant Finz on the beach, on the last night. It was absolutely fabulous for adults but had to use regular kids menu which has really poor options ie chicken nuggets etc. All the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly. We had our own car which was helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Richos4,

Thankyou so much for taking the time to post your glowing review on Tripadvisor!

I will be sure to pass your feedback onto all of our staff that made you and your families holiday memorable.

The bush turkeys and the water dragons roaming around the resort are always a hit with the kids and even the adults! I am pleased you got to enjoy our Finz Restauant which is very popular with the locals aswell!

We look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of paradise "Aanuka" when you next decide to holiday!