“Very ordinary”

BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was booked into this 'resort' overnight for a function. It is very spread out - having checked in at reception we had to get back in the car and drive 500 metres down the road to another car park then walk to the room. Room musty on entering. The walk to the function was another 400 m partly covered, partly exposed to the rain. Food at the function was good, drink service slow. No hot water in the room in the morning. Other guests missed soap, conditioner and tissues. Overall, pretty ordinary!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear PeterSyl
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately due to the inclement weather we have been experiencing in Coffs Harbour, has resulted in a musty smell affecting a small number of our rooms and due to security reasons we are unable to leave them unsecure to air them out. We are working with our housekeeping team in eliminating this from our rooms. Our resort is spread out over a large area. If you are looking at staying with us again, please don’t hesitate in contacting the Front Office Manager and we will ensure that you are accommodated closer to the main resort area. I have advised our Housekeeping Supervisor to brief their team on ensuring all amenities are replenished for all new arrivals. My apologies that some of your guests had not received these on arrival. I will pass on your feedback to our Food & Beverage team with regards to the food service and drink service that you have mentioned.
Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed with my family one night while driving to Brisbane. The rooms are ordinary, the pools are freezing, the spa is cold and crowded with teenagers screaming and doing bombs, there is a fetid waterway in the middle that seems to attract every mosquito in the world, the breakfast is ordinary and expensive, and the staff are surly. Fine: this is fairly standard motel accommodation, okay for an overnight stay on your way to somewhere, late in and early out. What you don't expect to pay is $300 a night. And you certainly don't expect to have to leave a $200 deposit for 2 weeks, and then maybe you wil get it back or maybe you won't, if they find that you have made off with a kitchen chair in your funiture van brought especially for the purpose. Just massively overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ngjp

Dear Ngjp
Many thanks for your feedback. My apologies that you found our spa and pools to be cold. We do have an indoor heated swimming pool just off the main reception area of the hotel and our spas are set at the required temperature however I am going to have our Maintenance team check to ensure these are running at the correct temperature. We receive such positive feedback in general in relation to our Breakfast, I will pass on your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager so they are able to discuss with the team. My apologies that our $200 deposit was not explained to you upon check-in, however this is a standard practice internationally for all hotels with the amounts varying property to property. The funds are only placed as a hold on the account and are automatically returned to the account within 5 business days.
Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that we are able to accommodate you again in the future.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just driven down from Gold Coast. Just checked in, just booked another hotel. This place is just wrongly described and the pictures are a good demonstration of photoshop!!
The Room smells (hasnt been used in a while). Total darkness at 3pm due to complete tree coverage. Bugs and insects biting you from the first minute. Need to walk 10 mins to the smallest of pools, and 10 mins to beach.
Bins outside front door stink, with bugs flying all over the place. Have asked to be moved but told all rooms booked, yet when checking on internet there are rooms available.
Honestly, this is very very poor.
The look of disgust on my families faces when entering the 'villa' makes you very angry.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rchard S
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Richard S
Thank you for your recent review. It is disheartening to hear of your experience with us at Aanuka Beach Resort as we do pride ourselves in providing our guests Premier Accommodation here in Coffs Harbour. I would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns and issues raised in more detail. Please feel free to contact either myself or the Front Office Manager directly on the hotels direct extension at your convenience.
With kindest regards

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Most things about this resort were excellent, including the location, rooms, staff, food and range of swimming pools etc. Which is why a couple of shortcomings disappointed me.
The first was that the room was not serviced unless you stayed 8 nights or more.I'm not sure if this was mentioned on their website but was not mentioned when I made the booking over the phone OR at check-in. This is a ridiculous situation and while I can understand the potential cost savings of the decision, when paying over $200.00 per night I would expect more. I could even accept a service every couple of days but 8 days is not on....Needless to say after 4 days the room needed some servicing and after 6 days it all felt very dirty. This is a beach resort and there is not even a broom or other cleaning utensils in the room so you at least have the option of doing some cleaning yourself.
The other dissappointment which was actually hard to understand was the fact that the causal dining restaurant sort of closed at 5 PM. You could eat there but with a very very limited choice and they called it in room dining for some reason.
So after seeing the practical and adequate lunch menu being taken away at 5 it was virtually a choice of a number of pizzas or a steak sandwich. I could not understand this the reasoning for this as the staff were there, the kitchen was open so why not offer more??

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms and n ear the pool as it is a very big resort.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Gary B
Many thanks for your feedback. We do pride ourselves in our facilties that we do provide our guests such as the grounds / pools, location, rooms and also our friendly and professional staff. My apologies that our Housekeeping Services were not explained to you on check-in. Located under the terms and conditions on our website it does advise of our Housekeeping Services that are available to our guests. We are currently looking into placing cleaning items in our extended stay guests rooms that are staying with us for under the 8 night minimum for housekeeping services. Our restaurant opening times thorughout the day for lunch is till 5pm and then dinner starts from 6pm. We do have our room service menu that you have mentioned available from 5pm in which you are able to enjoy either in your villa or in the Casay Restaurant. This menu does run through into the evening. I will pass your feedback onto our Executive Chef for his review.
Thank you again for your feedback and the opportunity that it has provided for us as a managment team to review our current process's.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Aanuka Beach Resort in the future.
With kindest regards

Reviewed March 28, 2013

My partner and I visited this resort for a friend’s wedding and we found it to be a reasonably pleasant stay.

Check-in was simple and easy. Breakfree take a larger credit card bond than other hotels so keep in mind $200 will be held on your credit card during your stay.

We received a map with a guide of how to get to our carpark and bure. Inside, the bure the kitchenette had a gas cooktop however it was a little outdated and stained. I would say the cleanliness was reasonably good however walking around in bare feet on the kitchen area tiles it felt sightly sticky and the draw handles a bit oily.

I searched everywhere for a compendium and then noted on the back of our map was a little bit of resort information with a note that the compendiums were currently being updated which I thought was a little slack as there was little information about where we could go to eat and about local restaurants in the area etc as well as your basic hotel facility information.

Our king bed was actually two single beds pushed together which we weren’t overly impressed with but it was pretty comfortable.

The bures have a fantastic big spa bath which we enjoyed using every night and the bathrooms were updated and spacious. The hot water ran out one day when I was showering which was a bit annoying.

Unfortunately being a family resort we were very close to another bure across from us with a big family who were very loud and talkative and whose young children would whinge and cry from the early hours of the morning.

The location of the resort is lovely with nice views of the beach from the top of the hill where all the bures are. We swam at the beach which was quite safe and clean. The main pool near the bar and restaurant area is nice and there is a great little BBQ area near the other pool area which we enjoyed the first night we were there with our group of friends. The resort is ideal for large groups of friends and wedding parties with spacious areas for everyone to meet.

We enjoyed the inclusive breakfast buffet every morning which overlooked the grass and beach area. The only criticism I would have is that when items of food ran out it took so long for them to be replaced. Staff should be monitoring the food levels so when an item is running low the next batch is being prepared. It was quite frustrating as there were two mornings where I missed out on some hot breakfast items because they were empty for 10mins-15mins.

The food during the day at the pool bar wasn’t great. We ordered a bruschetta and thai beef salad and both were very ordinary. The bruschetta had been grilled with cheese on top and the basil seemed to be in a paste form that was bought and the thai beef salad consisted of beef strips as opposed to steak as it should be and had a lot of lettuce instead of the herbs a thai beef salad should have.

The set-up for the wedding was lovely and the food at the reception was very good. Staff were very friendly and helpful and this was consistent throughout our stay.

Overall it was a pleasant stay however I would advise visitors to be aware it is a family resort so it isn’t always peaceful and quiet and do your research so you have some other dining options aside from the resort.

Room Tip: The paradise Bures come with breakfast included.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank briana_82
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Briana_82

Many thanks for your feedback in regards to your recent stay. It is lovely to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us. I will be also meeting with the Housekeeping Manager and Food & Beverage Manager to highlight the areas of opportunity you have raised in relation to the cleanliness of the Bure and ensuring the buffet is readily available with the breakfast items.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Aanuka in the not too distant future.
Kindest regards

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had a 1 night stopover in a hotel room. On our arrival we had a damp and musty smelling room. Obviously it had rising damp of some kind. The room was on the low side of the hill and the path ran down to it and the entrance to the rooms formed a dam effect. Here lies the answer.
I will say that otherwise the room was very clean and comfortable.
In the room there was no information regarding the dine in menu at the restaurant, how to operate pay TV or any other helpful information about the resort.
We have traveled extensively both here and overseas and this is the first bad review I have given.
Our room no 114A

Room Tip: Check out room before staying.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

We do thank you for taking the time to write to us and advise us of your concerns. We have taken all your comments on board and value your feedback as an integral part of our continuing aim to maximise service to our guests. We are currently working on updating our in room compendiums to ensure correct and up to date information is available to all our in house guests. We have discussed with our Housekeeping team in relation to the damp smell you experienced during your stay. My apologies that this was the case when you arrived into your room. The cause has been due to the inclement weather we have experienced over the past month and for security reasons, we are unable to leave our rooms unsecured in order to allow them to air out. We are however investigating ways to eliminate this issue.
We would hope that you would allow us another opportunity in the future to show case our resort and the process's we have taken to endeavour to reduce the concerns you have raised. If you wish, please contact the resorts Front Office Manager directly when you are next looking at accommodation in Coffs Harbour and he will be more then happy to assist.
Kindest regards

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here when we were visiting some friends in Coffs Harbour. Luckily we didn't have to spend much time in the room. The room smelt so strongly of must and damp that we asked to change rooms, only to discover they all smelt the same (it had been raining for a week prior to us arriving which I'm sure didn't help). The decor and facilities are tired. The staff on the plus side mostly pleasant and accommodating. Will not go here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Bree W,

We do thankyou for taking the time to write to us and advise us of your concerns regarding the musty smell in your room, unfortunately due to security reasons we are unable to leave our apartments open to air in these crazy weather conditons that we have experienced as of late, if you do have any concerns in regards to your room or any housekeeping issues, just a quick call to reception and wherever we can, we will do our best to fix any issues that you feel are not up to standard.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Aanuka if you decide to stay on the Mid North Coast in the future!