“Expansive, tropical and welcoming...would suit a wide range of tastes.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort

BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Sydney, Australia
“Expansive, tropical and welcoming...would suit a wide range of tastes.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were two couples - including elderly parents/in laws. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment for two nights over Australia Day weekend having driven up from Sydney enroute to Brisbane.
It was not cheap at about $850 for both nights, but it comfortable accommodated all of us and I guess one has to pay a premium during public holiday weekends.

The grounds are expansive, with paths leading from accommodation to restaurant area - and for the most part undercover. On the first night we ordered a couple of pizzas and some salt and pepper squid from the menu - and then picked it up when they phoned to say it was ready. Would only give an average ranking.

But the restaurant that we went to on site on the second night made up for it. Lovely food all round. We would certainly recommend the in dining experience.

Oh, and I just remembered the above total cost included breakfast for everyone on both mornings. I remember reading on TA about these breakfasts and had included this in the booking at the time. Wide buffet selection, and great coffee. The breakfast staff were amazingly efficient - that part stood out for me, as I when I go and get next courses and return to the table the dirty plates have been removed. Well done guys.

The beach was great for swimming - and it was a relatively short walk from the apartment. We did not use any of the hotel facilities available - but saw people swimming, playing tennis etc. Nice coastal walk is also close by.

We would certainly return should we stay again in Coffs Harbour.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hello!

And thankyou so much for your glowing review on Tripadvisor! I will be sure to pass your comments onto our wonderful staff!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Signature Buffet Breakfast! and our Finz on the Beach Restaurant.

Hopefully next time you decide to holiday with us, you will get to enjoy the excellent facilities Aanuka has to offer!

We hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I recently visited Breakfree Aanuka for my birthday and honestly, this place could not have been worse.

First thing I noticed was a damp, musty smell and damp carpet upon entering the room. I then noticed that the TV remote was missing. I called reception three times before someone finally came with a universal remote. They were unable to tune it in and as maintenance had left for the day, they left the remote in the room with me. I tuned it in eventually, although it did take about 15 minutes. The staff member did try to get a remote from another room, but apparently my tv was unique to all the others.

The fridge was very noisy and constantly making clicking noises. The bed and pillows were comfy, but the noise of the fridge made for not such a good sleep. The room was not very clean, marks on the bedhead and we saw a cockroach in the room.

On the second day, i called reception to ask when the room would be serviced and was told between 8am and 2pm. My wife and I went out and when we got back, the room had not been serviced. I called reception and was told someone would come around. We went out again for another few hours, came back and it was still not done. I rang again and spoke to a different person who told me that daily service is not included unless you stay 8 or more nights (or pay $7.50).

I asked then if I could get more towels, bathmat, toilet paper, shower gel and have my tiny single bin emptied. To my astonishment, I was told that I would have to pick it up from reception (by the way...in the pouring rain). Surely if there is no daily service, the bin at least should be considerably bigger.

When I booked this 'resort', there was nothing at all to say it was unserviced, I even checked my confirmation again from wotif and there is nothing at all about it.

I am very disappointed that despite all these complaints they didn't seem to care about the quality of my stay. I was offered more coffee which was pointless since in the room there was about 12 coffees, 4 teas, 1 milk and NO SUGAR!

I will visit Coffs Harbour again, but won't be staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Harvey W
GrahamBruceOliver, General Manager at BreakFree Aanuka Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Harvey W,

We thankyou for your comments and apologise that you felt tat the standard of the room was not adequate.

we note your comments regarding the housekeeping service of your room and do apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay. Due to the high standards required of our Housekeeping department, issues such as these are very rare occurrences. We have forwarded your your comments onto our Housekeeping department to ensure that our required standard of cleanliness are met at all times.

We thankyou for bringing our maintenance issues you experienced concerning the remote control, and the fridge to our attention, unfortunately maintenance issues do arise from time to time and measure are in place to ensure such issues are fixed promptly and best to our ability at the time.

As a gusture of goodwill, we would like to take the opportunity to invite you to return to Aanuka and offer you a 10z% discount off your accomodation for your next holiday!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Had a belated christmas party at Annuka. The cocktail food was great, good variety and they even catered for our vegetarians. All the staff seamed eager to please. Nothing was too hard. 'Denise' was more than comforting and think she needs a mention :) i work in the industry and think there needs to be more good feedback! I will certainly drop in for a cocktail sometime soon. The men at the bar were more than happy to make me a cocktail with the ingrediants i wanted. Service was fast and friendly. I felt welcome! Welldone the food and beverage team at Annuka. You all were fantastic :)

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Dansara 89,

Thankyou so much for your glowing report you have left us with! it makes me so happy to hear that you had a wonderful time her at Aanuka for your belated Christmas pasty!
I will be sure to pass your comments on to our wonderful staff! Especially the lovely "Denise"

We look forward to welcoming you back to Aanuka for the "cocktail" very soon!!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Good location and well supplied kitchen. Apartment was clean and well kept. The unit was a bit dated but in good condition. room fixtures needed attention such as toilet down stairs in laundry. Water pressure was poor in shower & no air-condition in downstairs area, both bedrooms upstairs had a split system. Great location near beach and park area and very quite. Short drive to Coffs shops and big banana. Room was 120 & 120A.

Hello!

And thanyou for dropping by and leaving us with some feedback on tripadvisor!

If youever have any maintenance issues with your room here at Aanuka, all you need to do is give us a quick call at reception by dialling 9 and we will have maintenance over promptly to fix any problems.

All of our rooms are privately owned by owners, therefore all rooms are decked out with the tastes of the owners preference but do have to adhere to a standard of course!

We look forward to welcomming you back to Aanuka the next time you decide to holiday!

See you soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed in November 2011 with some family. We had a two bedroom villa unit which was more than spacious enough. Appliances were definitely vintage and the unit wasn't the cleanest (though by no means dirty). The resort itself was quite pretty, lots of bearded dragons and bush turkeys throughout the area. Lots of facilities and a nice secluded beach. Very reasonable prices though I would try another spot in the area before trying this one again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Albedell,

Thankyou for your feedback you have left us with on tripadvisor!

We always appreciate recieving constructive comments which help us to maintain and improve our standards as well as meet and exceed our guests expectations. All of our rooms are privately owned and our owners are always updating their apartments when needed.

On a brighter note, i am happy to hear you enjoyed our wildlife that roams around here at Aanuka, the bush turkeys and waterdragons are always a hit!

We hope you stay with us again when you decide to visit the Mid North Coast!
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

The grounds at this resort are vast and stunning! We stayed there for 5 days with our 14 month old son and we all loved it! My husband particularly enjoyed the 4ft waves at the surf break out the front. There are approx 5 pools, including 3 spas, which my son and I enjoyed every day. The food in the restaurant was spot on... I had the salmon and prawn stack for entree and the King of Steaks for main... Both were delicious... It is totally a family friendly place and we happened to stay there when Greg the Yellow Wiggle, his wife and children were there too! We stayed in a spa bure, which was surrounded by tropical plants and wildlife... It was tranquil and private. The staff were very helpful and friendly! The buffet breakfast was also a highlight for us! The $8-50 lunch specials were also healthy for our wallets! We think the Aanuka is the prettiest location in Coffs! We are planning our next trip already!

Room Tip: Choose a bure close to reception and car park. Ask for a hotel room away from the pool area if you w...