“great hostel, lots of fun!”

and 1 more site!
Aussitel Backpackers
Exeter
“great hostel, lots of fun!”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

This hostel is small and friendly with bright colours and a great atmosphere. There is a big kitchen and an area with a tv and lots of films. The staff are really helpful and will take you down to the river with a canoe for free. the only two negatives I have is one - that the hostel is off a main road which is inbetween the town and the beach so its not close to either, but still walking distance. There isnt any nightlife or anything like that, but the hostel makes up for it with activities. And two- we booked a double room ensuite but the bathroom wasnt attched to the room it was down the corridor? which defeats the point! But I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed for about 5 days in this hostel and it was not too bad. A lot of people that stayed at the hostel had a working holiday visa, so they stayed there for a while. This resulted in people forming groups, because they knew each other for a while. The first night I placed some food on top of my locker in stead of putting it in the kitchen and that night we immediately had a rat in our room.. The toilets and showers were OK, although I've seen cleaner ones on my trip. The hostel has a tv room, but the tv will be shut off around midnight. The location of the hostel is not too bad. It's about a half an hour walk from the centre of the town and about 15 minutes from the beach.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
sydney
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Wasn't expecting much from Coffs harbour but I loved this place! Free shuttle was waiting for us when we arrived and we went up to a viewpoint where they told us about what we could do during our stay!
Lots more to do than I thought and lots of the things are cheap! Bonus! Surf lessons are the cheapest I've seen anywhere.
Not too far to walk to town(about 20 minutes) but close to the beach and the botanic gardens. Also the hostel Will take you into town for free a coupla times a day.
The hostel organises free stuff to do everyday as well. We went canoeing one day and to the big banana another! Ended up staying for over a week.

• Stayed December 2011
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I have stayed in so many places that don't have lockers but this one did. The hostel was generally ok but there isn't a lot to do in Coffs. All the hostels are located around a 40 minute from the centre of town. The shuttle bus is a welcome service from the bus stop.

The hostel is close to the beach which is good and also a river where you can kayak. The overall hostel wasn't amazing but I found the driver of the van friendly and also the guy who organised events. He was a cool guy and very friendly. I think a downfall of the hostel is that it continually shows films on the tv and people just vegetate in front of the tv.

Like others have said there is an odd mixture of residents here. Ranging from the young to the old. I didn't mind but it could be off putting for some. I would say the hostel is nice place but if you were going to go to to Coffs (the only thing is the beach) I might be inclined to pick the hostel that is on beach. Aussitel is good but is a good 10min walk to the sea. I like to review fairly so I will say that I wouldn't have any issues about returning to this hostel. It served it's purpose. The kitchen could do with a bit more cleaning and the tea towels were always dirty.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Port Douglas
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Never again, they have permanent residents here that are old and I think stay here so they can perv on young travellers, felt very unsafe

Room Tip: Stay at the Youth Hostel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank julie S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed here for about 3 nights. pretty awful really. we wish we'd have gone to the YHA hostel up the road. its much better but there was a group of 4 of us and YHA was full.

check in was fine and friendly...

shown to our rooms; thought id been put in prison, very dingy with horrible mattresses and very small and hot. other facilities were poor.
kitchen was infested with ants and cockroaches and in need of a clean.
staff did try and keep on top of it to give them a bit of credit, and they weren't helped by some people not cleaning their pots but to shout at guests like they did to me telling them to clean up is unacceptable, especially when i had washed everything i had used.

also one of the staff stole a cup out of my room that i had just bought. saw him 20mins later drinking goon out of it. when i confronted him he was very rude and threw the empty cup at me.

Atmosphere other than the staff is actually really good. but stay at yha its better overall

• Stayed January 2011
6 Thank globetrot87
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed at this hostel one night. Had trouble finding the hostel as there was a sign pointing in the wrong direction that led us astray. We phoned to let reception know we'd be 15 minutes late. They stayed open the extra 15 minutes which was appreciated, but were very grumpy with us, informing us that making sure the signs were right "wasn't their responsibility." The hostel itself is a moderately clean facility with a great lounge area and a relaxed atmosphere. Rooms were not particularly clean however, and blankets smelt and looked like they had never been washed. This place has definite potential, but staff and cleanliness set it apart from the better choices. We spent our second night at Coffs Harbour YHA, which was more expensive but well worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends