“Stay away - poor customer service, dingy room, misleading advertising…”

Country Comfort Coffs Harbour
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Melbourne
“Stay away - poor customer service, dingy room, misleading advertising…”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2010

My partner and I enjoyed a fabulous 5 night holiday in Coffs Harbour in January 2010. It was fabulous that is, except for our accommodation.

I booked us into Country Comfort as I could receive a 10% discount through membership to a rewards card. However, what I didn’t notice in the fine print was that the quote given to me was for ONE person and an extra adult (which I had declared on my booking form) would cost me an extra $20 a night. I didn’t expect to be quoted a rate for a single person in a twin share room! Anyway, when I went to pay for the accommodation at the end of the stay, my Invoice stated I was to pay an extra $30 a night for the extra person. This was picked up by the lady at the front desk – but she wasn’t happy trying to take the charge down to $20 a night stating rudely “This is going to take me all day to fix in my books”. It was like she was trying to get me to pay ANOTHER $10 a night for my partner so that I didn’t ruin her day!

With our booking, there was a free hot breakfast included (eggs, bacon, tomato, toast). We tried this breakfast the first morning, but couldn’t stomach it. So for the following mornings, we just ordered the toast. However, when I went to check-out, this toast was charged to my room! I tried to explain we simply ordered the toast out of the hot breakfast that was included in our tariff, but the lady was not willing to budge (already being in a foul mood after the $20/$30 extra a night saga).

The rooms themselves were not great. The beds were hard and the TV (although advertised on the front fence as plasma) was an old 51cm CRT TV. The walls are thin so you could hear your neighbours. Also, the room next door had issues with the pipes so it would squeal loudly every morning and night as they showered. I couldn’t get any conditioner out of the dispenser in our bathroom. We notified reception, but that night after housecleaning we still couldn’t get any conditioner out. My partner scraped off about half a centimetre of old, dry, caked on conditioner from the bottom but that didn’t help much. We ended up cracking open the unit and taking the conditioner straight from the bottle.

The hotel was also advertised with Wireless Internet, but that never worked. I enquired at the front desk and the reply was “there’s probably too many people accessing it”. Well that’s fine, but if you’re going to advertise as having free wireless internet, the least you can do is ensure your hardware can cope with the demand.
I also question the security of the hotel as $20k was stolen from the Hotel’s safe while we were staying there. I’m so glad I didn’t put anything in the safe deposit box!

Any positives about the hotel? The housecleaning was good and the pool/spa looked like it was being enjoyed by other guests.

I definitely won’t be staying here again and don’t recommend it for anyone. The amount I saved with my 10% “discount” was added back on with the extra $20 per night for an extra person. I’d rather spend that money on somewhere that is actually nice and owned by happy hotel owners.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank melb_illak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2010

After enjoying a marvellous holiday on the Gold Coast, we decided to stay overnight in Coffs Harbour before driving back to Sydney. It was a hot Xmas day and we were all in good spirits. This all changed as soon as we stepped into our family room. It was dull and dingy, bathroom lighting dim and the electrical appliances archaic. The stove and air-conditioner looked like they belonged in a museum and not a 3.5 star motel. The air conditioner was weak and taking too long to cool the room. We asked to change rooms but the lady at reception growled loudly at us that the accommodation was fine and that we hadn’t waited long enough for it to cool. We told her the room wasn't good enough but she didn't care and barked back at us. It was the tone and rudeness of her voice which ruined the trip for us. It was a quite a shock as she appeared friendly when we were checking in. We were not looking forward to sleeping there and almost wish we had driven another 7 hours back to the comforts of our own home. Sleep was horrible as the beds are uncomfortable and the walls so paper thin, you can hear the conversations of the people in the room next to you. It was so loud I could even hear what they were watching on telly. Coffs Harbour is a lovely place but this experience will ruin my memories of it. I agree with the other review, that there is no comfort here. If I could I would have paid double the price to stay somewhere else, but I had no choice as it was Xmas day and only motels will accomodate single night stays.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ilovetotravelmuch

Travelers are raving about these Coffs Harbour hotels

Port Macquarie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2009

I would like to say that the new management have made a great improvement to the country comfort. Service was very friendly and assisted politely and prompt with any issues. I was late to check in, and other arrangements were made in a polite manner. Breakfast was excellent, fruit fresh and hot coffee. Beds were comfortable and clean. Rooms were clean. The only negative aspect was the sitting table in the room was quite old and low. Otherwise, I am going to stay with the country comfort again, as I enjoyed to stay and it felt comforting having such great service.

• Stayed September 2009
Kingscliff, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

This motel has been taken over by new owners, who are giving it a very good go. They are very friendly, personable people who have had previous experience in a busy location. The owner/manager (?) observed that I had difficulty in walking and had already changed my room from upstairs to downstairs as I was booking in. The room was spacious, clean and everything worked. The bed was great, plenty of towels and good pillows. The bathroom had lovely 70s decor, but worked faultlessly.
I ordered room service which was delivered as ordered... even though I ordered it right on closing time. It was better than average for a seafood platter with a much smaller price.
Previous comments about how noisy it is was, was not part of my experience. It was noisy outside, but in the room I really couldn't hear it.
I would definitely stay there again. While it is a good transit stop, it would also be quite good as a stay for few days.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

We found that our stay at the motel was not as the reviews suggest, we have previously stay here 12 months ago and noticed the improvement of all areas of the motel as new owners have recently taken over. The rooms were very clean and spacious, all staff went out of there way to assist us when we ask for anything (we stayed for a week). The food in the restaurant was always fresh and of great value, also have the decking over looking the pool area was a great way to enjoy winding down after our meal.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple