“A great place to stay”

The Big Windmill Corporate & Family Motel
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Have visited the Big Windmill several times since last July and we are staying there now. It was good before but it is becoming excellent. A great deal of renovation to the rooms has been done and the result is splendid. The place is pet friendly, there is free WiFi, which I am using now, a restaurant on site (which is a reason we like it here after a long drive) and the young friendly couple are willing to please. Our breakfast will be delivered to our room in the morning and a packed lunch to go for our onward journey is another great service. And the price is good too. We will be back next week on our return journey.

Room Tip: We have stayed in rooms in the front and rear without any problems. We are a retired couple from UK...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alan M
Beau G, General Manager at The Big Windmill Corporate & Family Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Now that’s great use of the free Wifi, thank you for the review.
We look forward to your next visit, also if you have the caravan on the back and feel like a room for the night you are more than welcome, as you know we have plenty of parking space and often have long term travellers with vans looking for a night in a room for a change.

Travels safe and see you next time,

Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

I'm in Sales, I spend no less than 2 weeks out of every month "on the road" - so, stay in ALOT of motels.
Have never been happy with any of the places I have stayed in Coffs - until now ! Finally I have found my new "home away from home" in Coffs.
Lovely owners, awesome refurbished room, quiet location, great food, comfy bed, and hot shower. Nothing to complain about !
If I am to be really, really picky - the internet dropped in and out a bit, but not enough to be a problem - plus it is free, which is quite rare these days.
Will definately be back on my next trip to Nth NSW !

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you!! And welcome to your home away from home ..........this is what we strive for and are so happy to hear of you positive review, next time your onsite please call should you have Wifi issues and I will personally troubleshoot the issue for you.

Look forward to meeting soon,

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Dated, but it's clean and more then sufficient. Great place to stop over from sydney to brisbane. Pets are allowed, and my dog had a comfortable stay! There is an off leash park not to far away which is great for a quick run for the dog

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Specopspaintball

Thanks for your review, "Dated" our renovated rooms, with new beds, TV, triple sheeting, bed coverings, furniture, desk, appliances, floor coverings and fresh paint have made a difference and were completed prior to your stay, now that’s fresh!
However our original "but clean" bathrooms are next on this list for refurbishment.

I hope to welcome you back to a completed room in the future.

Best wishes

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

While it looks dated on the outside when you drive past, the staff is friendly, the rooms are clean and have been renovated and it was pet friendly with dog bowl provided and a friendly note. There is a grassed area at the very back we let our dog run around on (on leash). We had an enjoyable overnight stay.

• Stayed: January 2014

We say old world charm, our property was built in 1968 with the remaining rooms completed in 1984, with our windmill being the real attraction, however we do have renovated rooms and continue to keep our rooms to standard, as kindly noted in your review.

We are glad you git to travel with your furry friend and look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards,

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I was with a coach party some members of which were less agile than myself. The young manager met the coach and transported some older members and their luggage to their rooms in a golf buggy - a nice touch. I was alone in room 22, the décor was very dated and the alarm clock impossible to understand. I was woken up twice in the night by the toilet cistern filling. The bottom seal in the cistern was leaking and it felt the need to top itself up every 90 minutes. I fixed it by turning the main tap off.
We had both dinner and lunch in the restaurant. Both meals were excellent and the staff helpful and friendly. The bar prices were a bit sporadic. I had 2 glasses of Shiraz at dinner. The first cost $7.50, the second was $6.00. The glasses were small and the lady next to me also had a glass of the same wine, large glass $7.50. Ho, Hum!
I obtained the Wi-Fi password from the friendly receptionist, and, although the signal seemed fair, I could not get a lock on either my mobile, my tablet or my laptop. It is possible that Unit 22 was out of range or badly positioned. If Internet connection is essential I would suggest a mobile "Dongle", mine obtained 4 bars on the 4G network.
The young couple managing the facility are proud new parents and I wish them well in their endeavours. Whilst not exactly a "Renovator' s Delight", I think they have a lot ahead of themselves.

Room Tip: Some rooms, I believe, have been renovated. Try to get one of these.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review, we welcome a large amount of coaches to the property each year with great success.

Our refurbishment has been a delight to deliver to the customers with a real positive response, and we look forward to the rest of the upgrades as they are completed this year, including the room you stayed in. The toilet and alarm clock have been addressed.

We proudly stock in excess of 30 wines in our bar with three different shiraz wines and blends also available, this said I would say our bar staff have supplied you with a different Shiraz for each order as the prices quoted denote this, the glass size does vary dependant on the wine type or blend this however does not reflect different volumes we strictly adhere to our liquor guidelines with serving sizes, I trust this clears the situation for you also please at any stage approach your waitress should you have any questions on how wines are served at the time?

Our Wifi has three stations placed around our four acre property with a booster to add for signal strength we were sorry your devices could not log into the network despite other guests successes. Our Wifi had been upgraded in early 2013 with a coverage that covers surrounding businesses.

Regards

Reviewed December 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed overnight and we love it. The access was very easy and very close from downtown. The room was perfect, the bed was super comfortable and we had a nice big tv. We had a good swim in a pool and even had a relaxing moment in the spa. I would recommend the place any giving time.

Regards
Dan and Rory

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Beau G, General Manager at The Big Windmill Corporate & Family Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Dan and Rory,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, The Windmill team works hard and really appreciates the great feedback.

Looking forward to meeting you again this time we will save the table on the atrium for you.

See you next time,

Reviewed December 12, 2013

The check in was faultless. The room was clean comfortable and well presented, although the one we had had not yet been renovated it was quite good although a little dated. The bed was comfy and everything worked like it should. The only point that I should make is that although they had a big pile of breakfast menu's on the check-in counter, as I had read another reviewer's glowing comments about the breakfasts in the dining room we decided to utilise that. However it was closed and had been for sometime. They now do room service breakfasts instead. When I raised this with management they were mortified as they had gone to a lot of effort to alter the breakfast options on websites. It was at that point that I realised I had only read about the breakfast room in a TA Review. So folks there is no breakfast room you get room service instead.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear of the motel are significantly quieter than those nearer the highway.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn Big Windmill, as a continuously operational property we are refurbishing the property in stages with 31 of 41 rooms now completed, with bathrooms being the next area to focus on, through out 2014.

Wishing you a happy New Year!

Regards,